News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of the best WWI bars I've seen for a long while and one of the bigest and best looking bars I've ever seen. My gut says it's good and if the price is okay, I think you should buy it. :)

Guest Rick Research

Where's the back?

Is that an Ernestine Knight 1st Class or 2nd Class? Is that a ROYAL issue Prussian lifesaving medal, or a Weimar Republic one?

Appallingly ****y scans to expect anyone sane to shell out the amount of cash the mere PARTS would go for.

No instant match, which is cause for VERY grave concern. Am continuing to seek in the accumulated data base, since this one should--if it was real--leap out with an ID.

Be wary and beware.

Fellow gnomes if you DO find the owner before I do, remember NOT to post the ID. Our comrade has NOT bought it yet and we do NOT hand free Value Added to Sellers Unknown. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Ha. I think I've got him now. 3 of the 5 Orders and the pre-war Prussian pair. Not wearing his foreign pre-war stuff... IF he can be verified as a Wehrmacht z.D. type.

Gnomes conference. :ninja:

Guest Rick Research

Which is ODD, since--if I'm correct--the wearer was not "anybody." As soon as you see 1914-18 Orders given to Hauptleute (SA3aX, WF3aX, EH3aX) with Wehrmacht 18, the guy was either an "elderly" (E) retread Oberst circa 1941 or...

ia fossilized Major z.D. type not even carried on the Rank Lists.

But the gnomes have their little ways... :catjava: :ninja:

As of this posting, $1700 with five days and several hours to go. Rickies gnomes may be rooting around for one name. The munchkins came up another name regarding the person selling the item.

The sellers' name (ran a simple google search on his email address listed on the ebay auction site itself so there's no breach of privacy) came up as a John O. Hopkins, in Oklahoma City.

Les

Here is the sellers return policy for this item:

Return policyItem must be returned within: 7 Days

Refund will be given as: Money Back

Return policy details: no returns-no refunds-sold as is, where is. Except when stated explicitly in description.Insurance optional but highly recommended and is at buyers expense.

Guest Rick Research

That's... ambiguous.

Still, Gnome Paul HAS identified :cheers: the original wearer, scattered among three sources with the :banger: Prussian No First Names :banger: impeding our inquiries.

Lots of shiny bling for an elderly (E) retread who never made General!

So... anybody here going to chase it?

I am tempted but think it is going to be silly money, if anyone can pm me as to value and if researchable may well give it ago

Five days left, 20 bids tendered, and the amount has reached $2414. Whether the people iseriously nterested in owning this bar will wait until the last few minutes to snipe it, or keep nibbling away and driving the price up remains to be seen.

This auction has a "protected" status preventing you and everyone but the seller from seeing who is bidding. This -always- makes me wonder whether the seller is hiding something, or really "protecting" the bidders.......from knowing if he has a shill bidder driving the price up. Whether it's justifiable or not, that always puts a red flag in the air as far as I'm concenred. Combine that with his ambiguous return policy, that's another red flag to be way about. Then there's the quality (or lack) of the photos, that don't showly clearly how the bar was constructed with tie downs, stitching on the bar, etc, etc.

It might be good, but I'd like to see it in person rather than rely on photos alone.

Les

Guest Rick Research

Research already done, but don't get your hopes up. Identified but "non-exciting." :catjava:

Looking at the states that handed him something or other, his awards alone suggest he served primarily in Flanders/northern France. That said, he seems to have been overlooked, or snubbed/ignored by the Bavarians.

Les

Guest Rick Research

My my. That is about 33% or so over what the loose parts would bring in. But maybe I'm behind on the spiralling prices paid by the no-worries crowd. Unless the high bidder has all the award documents and has been extorted into reuniting a split group...

My benchmark for Wehrmacht groups is what Paul paid for Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, German Cross in Silver winner, Army Corps commander General der Infanterie Werner Kienitz's medal bar from the Seymour collection. :rolleyes:

THIS guy was a retread desk Colonel. Yes, indeed, the Waldeck and Ernestine are rare by themselves (how rare, the lucky owners of the award rolls books know :cheers: ). But was this fellow of military or historical importance? Nope.

It's "just" a VERY pretty medal bar! :beer: