News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This Week's Ribbon Bar fakes! Part II

Our Austrian friend is at it again. But now - he gives an explanation why this (impossible) combination should be possible:

"Bemerkenswert (in Kenntnis des gesamten Trägernachlasses) ist die Tatsache, daß der Träger nur seine höchste Tapferkeitsauszeichnung des 1. WK anbringen lies und auf die restlichen Auszeichnungen der Monarchie, des WK 1, der Zwischenkriegszeit und sämtliche WK-erinnerungsauszeichnungen verzichtete -

wohl um die Feldspange möglichst klein zu halten (wofür auch die seltene kleine/schmale Ausführung spricht)"

Indeed, REMARKABLE that there is only one WW1 Austrian decoration and especially: no Hindenburg!

:speechless::speechless:

FAKEebay1734alu3.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

As a newcomer to the forum, I hope you don't all think this is too stupid a question.

Having read through this topic, it appears that there are a number of what may best be described as "creative" sellers known to you old hands, as a newcomer I would appeciate something a bit more instructive than what for me at least are rather vague references to e.g Austrian being at it again.

Whilst I fully appreciate that there is a need to be careful in what is said with regard to individuals, and I have managed (I think) to identify a couple of characters being alluded to, any info gratefully appreciated, after all, forewarned is forearmed.

Hope this hasn't come across as criticism, it certainly isn't intended to - it is a request for helpful advice.

All in all an excellent and informative site.

Thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

welcome to this forum. You are right: We do not always find the time to state what is exactly wrong with each bar. Most of them have obvious mistakes in combination or precedence. Some have fake ribbons or awards. Some can be dismissed due to their style. I would suggest searching the archive for "fake" and going through some of the old threads, which offer quite a good guide.

Also, there is an excellent article on ribbon bars to be found if you search for "german ribbon bars" on Google...

Chris

Hi

As a newcomer to the forum, I hope you don't all think this is too stupid a question.

Having read through this topic, it appears that there are a number of what may best be described as "creative" sellers known to you old hands, as a newcomer I would appeciate something a bit more instructive than what for me at least are rather vague references to e.g Austrian being at it again.

Whilst I fully appreciate that there is a need to be careful in what is said with regard to individuals, and I have managed (I think) to identify a couple of characters being alluded to, any info gratefully appreciated, after all, forewarned is forearmed.

Hope this hasn't come across as criticism, it certainly isn't intended to - it is a request for helpful advice.

All in all an excellent and informative site.

Thanks

Kevin

Guest Rick Research

It gets so that we can instantly recognize the "handiwork" of the Usual Suspects. They tend to have distinctive patterns to their foul wares-- largely because they tend to over-do the usually inappropriate ribbon assortments which they have in stock for butchering. So even when Seller X is peddling Manufacturer D's horrid product, or even when (as so often happens) they Magically Re-Name themselves, we can still recognize the individual fraudsters' styles and errors.

Be cautious in buying, ask first, and watch what is out there.

Eventually it does become automatic. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Thank you. :beer: There is a slim chance that the new, improved, authorized version of my Magnum Opus may appear HERE sometime by the end of this year. I have MOUNTAINS of unpublished WW1 award rolls to slog through before getting back to my True :love: , ribbon bars.

Although the Second Edition is still in adding additional materials stage, it IS percolating along nicely to epic proportions. Even have a Main Page waiting for that happy day:

• 2 months later...

I have to reactivate this thread because there is a flood of new fakes currently on ebay, from seller "bedel2000". Some of his stuff is ok, but many are fakes, although he/she guarantees originality.

Some examples:

fk1.JPG

Edited by webr55

The back.

These bars are probably made from original parts. Some others are tab back fakes. But as I said, some are ok, so be careful what you're buying!

Regards

Chris

fk3a.JPG

Edited by webr55

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

To refill the thread with "something" ... :blush:

From my own collection, acquired when I was, hmm, maybe 14 or 15 and still worse than just bloody unaware: :speechless:

Later I changed it a bit to prevent nausea and vomiting, and now it looks like this:

:

I won't ever sell it as it might (or will) get in eeeevil hands ... :violent:

Edit:

I looked it up. I was yet 16. :unsure::wacky::rolleyes:

... but just for two weeks. :P

Edited by saschaw

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...