News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I hear you Scott, it's a thin line to walk. However this is pretty much "common" knowledge and once Pascal's book will hit the stores, the fakers will have a field day.

cheers

Peter

You mean, a catalog printed in WW2 pointing out what fakes will look like in 2000?

If you find a copy, can you buy one for me as well?

Thanks

Chris

Hello!

I think this is difficult,but I hope?

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

Hi....just thought I'd post a better scan of the Small '4' Fake. Nesderep's Narvik is certainly that type and not original.

Chris, that's a superb shield....not a Deumer but certainly original. As of this moment an 'unknown maker' but thought to be Junker.

Hope that helps.........Peter

Hi....just thought I'd post a better scan of the Small '4' Fake. Nesderep's Narvik is certainly that type and not original.

Chris, that's a superb shield....not a Deumer but certainly original. As of this moment an 'unknown maker' but thought to be Junker.

Hope that helps.........Peter

Hello!

Please explain " Small 4" why is this fake? I need to learned.

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, but I have to disagree. Chris's Narvik is definately not a Juncker, which is easily identified by the wing-tips sitting above the horizontal bar. I insist that Chris's shield is of the so called Deumer design, with a reservation that it might be from a different manufacturer.

cheers

Peter

The document conforms in appearance to the naval versions issued by General Eduard Dietl's office. Of course, it is usually impossible to establish authenticity from a photograph, especially a snapshot like this, taken from a distance, at an angle, through glass. The shield is indeed a fake that has fooled a good many collectors. The Narvikschild was made by several firms, of course, and there are differences between them but this type turned up in the 1990s, as far as I remember.

PK

Nobody seems to have had this type of shield in their collections before the late 1990s. Also, some of these shields, as in one of the photographs here, are mounted on completely incorrect backing. And when you hold this type of fake in your hands, you just know there is something wrong with it. Get your money back from the dealer and invest in a real one. The document seems to be genuine but, of course, it is impossible to tell from this photo.

PK

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, but I have to disagree. Chris's Narvik is definately not a Juncker, which is easily identified by the wing-tips sitting above the horizontal bar. I insist that Chris's shield is of the so called Deumer design, with a reservation that it might be from a different manufacturer.

cheers

Peter

Peter...you may well be correct regarding the Junker shield...I think this type is still unknown. Below a couple of Deumer shields. The Army backed zinc is an early version, The KM version is a later version with the 'filled in area' between the shoulders.

N....if you look at the '4' in 1940 on the shield I posted and on your shield, you'll see the '4' is smaller the the '0' . Also under a loupe the quality of the detail is poor.

All the best.........Peter.

No, that's not the one. Here's a link with Juncker shield.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...=Juncker+Narvik

cheers

Peter

That's one of my other shields Peter....... :lol: . I still maintain the Cupal shield shown is thought to be attributed to Junker.

Maybe when Pascal's book comes out we'll know more.

all the best........Peter

Only today this thread was brought to my attention and I have been reading it with the greatest of interest.

Let me start by saying that until today no makers of Narvik shields are definitely known.

We are only making assumptions of who these makers were by the way some of these shields were found and what makers were named in earlier literary.

So are for example the names Juncker and Deschler named in a article in ?Internationales Militaria-Magazine?. However no proof was given in the article that these shields were actually made by these makers. Nimmergut is calling a different type of shield to be made by Juncker. This only proof how difficult it is to name a Maker with any certainty.

The shield as shown by Chris is without a doubt an original shield. I only don?t think this is a so called ?Deumer? shield. I have this type of shield in my own collection and I believe that this shield was made by the same maker who made the so called Juncker type shield with the exception that on this type of shield the wings do touch the bar.

The shield as shown by Nesredep is with a doubt a fake. This shield is the most encountered fake and is a copy of what is also called the Deschler type shield. In the collecting world this fake is indeed known as the small ?4? fake. As Peter already pointed out the? 4? is a fraction smaller and maybe also a bit lower as the ?0?

KR

Pascal

Peter, it's a tough slice to chew, but I stand corrected :blush: The similarities between the Deumer and this 2nd type Juncker are stunning, but yes, there are minor differencies. I'm waiting for Pascal's book with great anticipation and instead of penetrating these details, I'll give the honours to Pascal with his book :beer:

cheers

Peter

Peter, it's a tough slice to chew, but I stand corrected :blush: The similarities between the Deumer and this 2nd type Juncker are stunning, but yes, there are minor differencies. I'm waiting for Pascal's book with great anticipation and instead of penetrating these details, I'll give the honours to Pascal with his book :beer:

cheers

Peter

Peter....as Pascal says, there's no absolute proof that certain Narvik shields can be attributed to certain makers. No need to stand corrected (you may well have called it right).

A really great thread :D ......Peter

Kind words buddy, but on this particular occasion I believe I was wrong. Your correct about the uncertainty of actual producers, at least we can use the alleged designs to differentiate the various designs when we discuss them. Concur, interesting thread :beer:

cheers

Peter