News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dietrich Maerz's new book on the RK, etc

Les

Dietrich Maerz was at the Max Show last weekend with advance copies of his new book. He was taking orders and will ship the books as soon as they arrive from the printers.

My area of interest of Germania collecting is primarily Imperial. However, that doesn't mean that I don't try to learn a thing or two about T.R. items. The "R.K." debates on another forum for example, have been highly informative.

Dietrich's new book is....a "wowser" and his mechanical engineering abilities have resulted in a strong analytical approach and solidly organized presentation of facts rather than impressions. The book is also well-written and the author is also well-spoken in person. The photos are superb. No bogus bullet-ridden crosses that others have insisted are real are part of this book!

Up till now, I've resisted the urge to buy an R.K. but a quick look through the advance copy is seriously tempting me into first buying the book, and then taking the plunge and starting to look around for one to buy, and known fakes to avoid.

Dietrich if you're reading this...congrats on a job well-done and luring an Imperial collector into tip toeing through the minefield of T.R. era collecting.

Les

Guest Darrell

Dietrich Maerz was at the Max Show last weekend with advance copies of his new book. He was taking orders and will ship the books as soon as they arrive from the printers.

My area of interest of Germania collecting is primarily Imperial. However, that doesn't mean that I don't try to learn a thing or two about T.R. items. The "R.K." debates on another forum for example, have been highly informative.

Dietrich's new book is....a "wowser" and his mechanical engineering abilities have resulted in a strong analytical approach and solidly organized presentation of facts rather than impressions. The book is also well-written and the author is also well-spoken in person. The photos are superb. No bogus bullet-ridden crosses that others have insisted are real are part of this book!

Up till now, I've resisted the urge to buy an R.K. but a quick look through the advance copy is seriously tempting me into first buying the book, and then taking the plunge and starting to look around for one to buy, and known fakes to avoid.

Dietrich if you're reading this...congrats on a job well-done and luring an Imperial collector into tip toeing through the minefield of T.R. era collecting.

Les

Hi Les. I agree 100%. I posted a thread some time ago. It's was met with resounding and overwhelming crickets.

Interesting ... huh :rolleyes:

Patiently awaiting for my copy to arrive. :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Same here,

Well, knowing the author and his (right IMO) way of collecting: militaria and info, no doubt we will ALL learn something (or more) which is the real target of this hobby as a collector - quest of knowledge.

Waiting, but will comment more after reviewing it.

As a side note, I see that more and books become more specialized which, again IMO, is a very good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of at last talking with Dietrich face-to-face (after many e-mails) and actually seeing an advance copy of the new book at the recent OVMS show. I can assure all that we're in for a real treat in the new few weeks. The book is, simply, excellent, and will certainly become a standard reference in the future. Dietrich has wisely limited his inquiry to officially approved and issued pieces. His solid research will greatly benefit the collecting community for many, many years to come. I would urge everyone to have a copy of this book in their reference library (even if you don't agree with every conclusion).

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered my copy too. Time now to be patient while it's in the hands of the respective postal services. :ninja:

Rich

Received my copy in the UK 2 days ago, one of the best books I have seen, it should now be a template for all future numistic books, Paul

Dietrich?s Book arrived today ?

As we reach for History through our ?Hobby? , I think our reference books have grown along with us. Many of our books have set ?milestones? for us and will continue to serve us (and the Hobby) for generations to come. They?ve taught us more about the items that we posses, shown us artifacts that we never knew existed , ?and some things we can only hope to ever see or hold.

Unfortunately , the reproductions have also kept up with us and in some cases even out paced our reference books. As far as the RK is concerned , I think that ?race? is over now.

For the first time , we have a Book that goes far beyond only showing the various makers of the Award. This is not a picture book ..it's a Manual.

Written with the ?eye? and approach of an Engineer ..as a ?tool? for the Collector & Historian.

I honestly feel that Dietrich?s book on the Knights Cross has brought us and our ?Hobby? to a whole new level ?this book has set a new standard and I?m sure it will define how all of our future reference books will be written.

<A superbly crafted reference>

Congratulations Dietrich

Guest Darrell

Got no. 19 in the mail yesterday. I managed to get through a few chapters last night. Great stuff and tons of information in there. Easy to understand even for the non-RK experts like most of us :)

Thanks everybody for the overwhelming response and 100% positive reception. This is a great boost for me and the current projects which are in the making and will hit the market next year.

As one of the most knowledgeable and advanced collector said about the book: "Just amazing!"

For further info please check out my website www.ironcross1939.com

Again, thanks a lot for the enthusiastic response!

Dietrich

Thanks everybody for the overwhelming response and 100% positive reception. This is a great boost for me and the current projects which are in the making and will hit the market next year.

As one of the most knowledgeable and advanced collector said about the book: "Just amazing!"

For further info please check out my website www.ironcross1939.com

Again, thanks a lot for the enthusiastic response!

Dietrich

Hi Dietrich

What is the next project?

Edgar

Hi Dietrich

What is the next project?

Edgar

Hi Edgar,

a lot is in the pipeline - also together with friends. All in all there are 7 books in the making between now and the next 18 month. Just check my website for regular updates.

Dietrich

Received my copy 3 weeks ago and here is what I think after reading it all:

A - Presentation and quality of both materials and pics are a total success, making it pleasant and attractive, easy to read, re-read several times (what I am doing with it). Quality of the photos, details of the text is today a "sine qua non" standart and this book gives all of that. The A5 format is also a plus.

B - Before looking at the content I want to highlight that, like some, I was "confused" when not "disgusted" by the subject as it was far from being clear (rounder, flaw type I, type II ........) and that all the "drama" posts on the net about those subjects kept me away from even reading those subjects.

When the book came, I decided to read it with a brand new eye and I will be the first to admit that the book RECONCILE me with the subject of the RK. It is simple, you have all necessary info (historic, historical, clean and clear photos to illustrate, scientific approach for the lovers (not me :speechless1: ) fakes, ....) speaking of the items by themseves and not about the collectors owning them.

Being honest, when I start reading the book, my ego said to me "hopefully, you won't have to learn too much" - total mistake from my part, I learned on most of the pages.

As highlighted above: one can differ from "conlusions " but nobody can not recognize the work done, again, a proof that when you move your "ass" it pays off (hat off Mr Maertz - few people can give what you gave) - this book presents all the known and available info on the subject.

C - Like I have said before, we can notice that more and more books become specialized in one particular subject, a real deep progression in details & info as those books were made by collectors and more than sharing info and knowledge they give you tools to conduct properly your hobby so it is now up to you to drive your collection as the right tools are now available. Whatever you are an expert" (I am not) or a regular collector, this book will give you complete satisfaction.

My only regret is not to have a second book to take notes on it, highlight important info - yes a total success, the subject is covered and very well covered.

Thanks Dietrich !!!

Xmas is coming and this book is a very good idea to received or to buy for yourself!

Francois,

thank you very much for you nice and unbiased review. I really do appreciate it. I have attached the Table of Content so potential buyers or interested people can see what the book offers since it is not only about the Knights Cross but also about the higher grades as well as the Grandcross and Star.

As the table shows I have only included the authorized makers so the book is very drastic in its approach.

Thanks again!

Dietrich