News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 Iron cross 1st class "Hansen"

Hello to all friends of the imperial iron!

Here's my lates find....a beautyful "Hansen" EK! I was looking for one of these the last few years but nothing was offered to me.....I traded this one for a tank badge and a 1939 EK2! A few weeks ago I met a collector at a flea marked in my hometown-he told me he's collecting everything from the TR,but his major interests are Luftwaffe items...and he's got some imperial stuff he didn't know the reason he's bought it :D .So I was visiting him at his home(very impressive collection by the way).And I saw it......and asked for the price the same moment! He said 500?!!! Yes...Niemann is selling a few for this price.So we had a few beers and a nice conversation-and I had to leave with empty hands.But then a "Hansen" was sold at Ebay.de for 308?(he was watching this auction...) After that we had a few phonecalls-the result you can see here at the pics! I'm lucky,belive me(tonight a few beers more)! :D:D

Does anybody know what the story with these pieces is? There's been a veritable plethora of these crosses that have appeared on the market in the last few months. Was there some type of "find"? Or what?

Another question. Was Hansen definitely a manufacturer , or simply a retailer (like Sedlatzek whose name can be found on screw fittings for 1939 EK1s, but was never a maker) ?

Does anybody know what the story with these pieces is? There's been a veritable plethora of these crosses that have appeared on the market in the last few months. Was there some type of "find"? Or what?

I recall when Detlev first started offering them some weeks ago, he mentioned aquiring a 'horde' direct from the jewellers family (presumably, the 'Hansen' family...)

Don't quote me on that, but it was something along those lines.

Here's the 'Hansen horde' in all its glory...

Marshall.

picture D Niemann.

Edited by Biro

Just an interjection with the "crown" issue. We know that certain Makers (notably Wagner, Friedlander and Sye & Wagner) marked EK1's with Crescent Moon, Crown, 800 punch marks. In addition, we know Friedlander marked their HHORK the same.

However, the debate concerning the crown and Imperial Aviation Badges should be restricted to that/those piece(s) only. The issue is contentious at best with collectors having invested thousands and thousands of dollars in "bad" (IMO) badges and have become totally unwilling to see any type of reality of the situation.

We know Juncker marked its' larger pieces with the 3 marks, howver there are no Juncker-made small pieces from the same era!

In conclusion, seeing these marks on an EK1 would not bother me a bit. I'd personally love to have one of these Hansen Crosses as the workmanship looks fabulous to say the least. What I would recommend to my aviation friends is to study this crown mark carefully. despite the fact that the maker is different, compare the quality of this punch with the cheesey punch marks on the (IMO) fake Pilot Badges by Juncker!

Hi Gordon, Siedlatzek is a definate WW1 maker of Orders, Decorations and Medals

Another question. Was Hansen definitely a manufacturer , or simply a retailer (like Sedlatzek whose name can be found on screw fittings for 1939 EK1s, but was never a maker) ?

Hi Gordon, Siedlatzek is a definate WW1 maker of Orders, Decorations and Medals

Hi Rick,

Just to clarify, I meant the Sedlatzek marked 1939 Screwback EK1s, like this one. He wasn't a 1939 maker, so added his own named screwplate to pieces he sold. I've seen 1939 EKs with Sedlatzeks details added, but which had makers marks to other firms. The example here has a Sedlatzek plate but is maker marked to Godet (L/50).

So I was just curious re the Hansen pieces as to whether we know for sure they were a maker, or may have been a retail jeweller. Either way, doesn't detract from the fact that they are damn fine pieces.

Interesting Gordon, I wonder if we have yet another "modernized" name here (think P?llath/Poellath)... can anyone/someone please check their "Court Jewelers of Germany" book for these 2 names? I suspect we will find the earlier Siedlatzek at the same address. (??)

I wonder is they had no approval through the LDO to manufacture.... but the purchased and modified another maker's pieces and then slapped there named S/B on it???

Interesting debate/question!!

Gents,

Just to throw a cat in among the pigeons, as Marshall once wrote to me.

I have the identical screwplate on an '14 EKI with the same markings EXECPT mine doesn't have the Hansen name on it. I have had this cross for many years now and have only seen one other example of this type. Also without the Hansen name.

The example shown here and the ones in the picture of the box show slightly different spacing and angles of the M. Hansen stamp in relation to the rest of the markings. I would say that the Hansen name stamp was applied at a different time and not in the same stamping jig as the rest of the markings.

To see a whole box full is interesting to say the least.

I can send out pictures via snail mail to anyone that can post it for me. Thanks!

Tony

Edited by Tony J

• 5 weeks later...

This is the beauty owned by Tony J and, true to his word, no sign of the 'M Hansen' name anywhere. Apart from that, a good match for the M Hansen marked piece posted by Micha.

An interesting twist to the "... was Hansen a manufacturer or a retailer " question that Gordon raised earlier in the thread

On this evidence, I vote retailer..

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Hansen was a manufacturer, a house jeweler to be correct. The Hansen firm still exists with branches in Hamburg and Kiel. Kiel was the original location and is still listed on some internet sites as "Hofjuwelier M.Hansen". The firm was founded in Kiel in 1814 and in 1888 Marten Heinrich Hansen (The "M. Hansen")became a house jeweler to Kaiser Wilhelm II. Today they manufacture fine jewelry and deal in fine silverware and timepieces. Apparently a new member of the family took over in 2005. That may be why some of the old stock items have been disposed of. Do I think the info that they are still in business hurts the Hansen EK's? No, I still want one. Here is a link to the website.

Dan Murphy

Hansen GMBH and H. Hansen Hofjuwelier

Edited by Daniel Murphy