News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

I'm not sure if this picture came from this forum, or from another, but if I recall correctly it was colorized by a member from Norway.

Kaiser Wilhelm II in an Austrian uniform:

kaiserwilhelmiiaustrianow6.jpg

I did this colourization a year ago..

Im from Sweden by the way!

Greetings

P?ter Nyitray

I later got aware of the mistakes in the uniform colours and changed it to the correct one!

16207.jpg

Edited by Peter Nyitray

My latest work took me about a week to do. It was a restoration/colourization work. The person wanted help to restore a family photo.

One word, AMAZING, particularly the first one, well done

edit, Hi Peter didn't spot your earlier posts, they're all good :cheers:

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

At the moment, I am still learning the ropes so tend to keep the subjects fairly simple, Most of my subjects are head and shoulder portraits, albiet, TR as I am familiar with the uniforms and decorations which in the end are very easy to do. The hard part is recreating realistic flesh tones and facial features. I hope to expand when I have sufficient knowledge and confidence to colour other periods. Meanwhile one addition, which I have also posted on another site.

Franz Ritter Von Leeb. (Scary Eyes!)

at the same time the man voted as the scariest to look at in Germany during the war, Hugo von Sperrle

Regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

I did this colourization a year ago..

Im from Sweden by the way!

Greetings

P?ter Nyitray

I later got aware of the mistakes in the uniform colours and changed it to the correct one!

Peter,

I apologize for moving you to the wrong country! It was some time ago that the picture was posted, but I loved it so much I kept a copy of it on my computer.

• 1 month later...

Something a bit different for me and a bit of a challenge, Hungarian Ambassador Eugen Ratz, My thanks to Hunyadi and Rick Research who gave me some good pointers as to uniform and medal bar details

regards

Alex K

Good Lord!! That is publishable!!

well done.

Thanks for the complement. It always helps when you have a good sharp image to work on. Funnilly enough the hardest part was his medal rack, trying to unravel the various shades of Black, grey, white to ensure that as far as possible the colours and order were correct.

regards

Alex

Those are so completely amazing!!

Thankyou. There will always be some "poetic licence" when doing these things but I certainly like to pay attention to uniform/insignia details, facial colourizations is a bit more difficult and subjective, but studying colour photo's of actual people of similar age or nationality give some pointers. (The chair may well have been green!!)

Alex K

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo of Alfred Sticht, a pilot in the KG 53 "Legion Condor"

To give You a bit of inspiration, here is a hand-colorized photo, made by a period photographer.

It is a larger size photo, made to hang it on a wall.

I think this is a good example how colorization was done before the computer age.

Alex, keep up Your excellent work. This thread is one of the most interesting ones here, so speaks a photo-collector.

Kind regards

Robert

Here is a photo of Alfred Sticht, a pilot in the KG 53 "Legion Condor"

To give You a bit of inspiration, here is a hand-colorized photo, made by a period photographer.

It is a larger size photo, made to hang it on a wall.

I think this is a good example how colorization was done before the computer age.

Alex, keep up Your excellent work. This thread is one of the most interesting ones here, so speaks a photo-collector.

Kind regards

Robert

Hi Robert and thanks, it does become addictive,? I have to admit that period colourization you posted ?is really quite fantastic, thanks for posting

regards

Alex

Hi Robert and thanks, it does become addictive,? I have to admit that period colourization you posted ?is really quite fantastic, thanks for posting

regards

Alex

Hi Robert, hope you don't mind but couldn't resist the challenge!, attached my rendition of your original B/W photo, colourised in the manner of the true contemporary image, and the other, how I would have done it without any earlier influence

regards

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

wow! That PLM is magnificent! You are a master.

Genuine thanks for the compliments, I feel quite flattered, I do have more to come, which I hope will be of similar interest

regards

Alex K