News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon medals, Good/Bad? Real/Fake?

Here is my new baby. It should arrive early next week...

Jason

Nice. And uncommon having earned a Saxon state bravery award but not the EKII(1870). Presumably in the XIII Army Corp, 17th ID.

When you get it, please say how the Albert Order is attached to the bar. Is it a clip under the ribbon? I can see the other three are tied down, so likely the SAOX is tied down. The reason I ask is, is this an 1870 version of the Albert? I know the Saxon Civil Merit had different versions identifiable as 19th Century and WWI, but does the F-P war SAOX have any differences from the WWI SAOX?

When you get it, please say how the Albert Order is attached to the bar. Is it a clip under the ribbon? I can see the other three are tied down, so likely the SAOX is tied down. The reason I ask is, is this an 1870 version of the Albert? I know the Saxon Civil Merit had different versions identifiable as 19th Century and WWI, but does the F-P war SAOX have any differences from the WWI SAOX?

Will do! This will have to do for now though...

Jason, you got this spange from Barry at emedals? I looked at this one closely, but found the combination unlikely, although the bar certainly looks genuine.

Yes, I did. Why do you think it is unlikely though?

Jason

Does it help any in knowing that the Order of Albert is marked "K" on the bottom arm?

So, is this set "OK" (correct/possible) or not? I would like to know ASAP as the group is set to ship on Monday. If I need to cancel the order, then I would like to do so now.

Thanks!

Jason

Does it help any in knowing that the Order of Albert is marked "K" on the bottom arm?

So, is this set "OK" (correct/possible) or not? I would like to know ASAP as the group is set to ship on Monday. If I need to cancel the order, then I would like to do so now.

Thanks!

Jason

It should be "R" not K.

I think the AOR2X is wrong. But the bar looks ok.

What DA is it?

It is the last model (1913-1918). for an 1870 veteran i expect the 1874-1913 model.

Regards Alex

Nice original bar, but I'd assume as well played with. A WW1 Albrecht does hardly make sense here, as well the 1913+ long service award is unlikely.

That bar would look much more trustworthy if it had a peace time Albrecht, and an older long service awards on it.

4 Bravery awards with a NCO long service. The combination is certainly possible, but I doubt the combination of a Bavarion MVO (officer) with the Hesse and Baden bravery medals. I don't like the style, construction or materials of the second bar. My gut reaction based on the photos.

I'd agree that the Saxon Bar is original, but needs peace-time awards and the first DA. I don't like the second bar at all.

I was waiting for Stogies' comments.

Consider this-elderly Landwehr LtdL or Warrent officer. There were case of 1870 vets being recalled at this rank and I have pictures to prove it.

I was waiting for Stogies' comments.

Consider this-elderly Landwehr LtdL or Warrent officer. There were case of 1870 vets being recalled at this rank and I have pictures to prove it.

In this case he would have a Landwehr DA. No it's a unbelievable combination.

Alex, are you atating the combination as shown is not possible?

Or are you stating the combination described by Jeff is not possible?

Or are you stating the bar is impossible even with peace-time awards?

My previous statement is that IF the Albert was a peacetime Albert (pick your grade) with a Saxon (early) LSM it is possible for the bar to be real.

As an aside, I know I am old and rusty; but last time I checked, receipt of a war time Saxon Bravery award did not require an award of a Prussian iron Cross first. Certainly yes, many men received both awards concurrently and an equal number were awarded one, or the other first; But there is no shortage of accepted, original Saxon Medal Bars with Saxon Bravery awards and no EK2 that I have seen over the years.

This sounds better :cheers:

This should be a pre war bar.

Regards Alex

Then...I believe this could take us full circle back to my question.

Is the Albert is attached by thread or a clip underneath the ribbon?

Maybe the good bar was "looted" of its peace-time award. By coincidence, I bought a three-medal bar with Saxon enamels removed leaving only the EK2 (in third position!)