News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Last Stand of Imperial Russia... White Forces Flag

NavyFCO

Although this isn't "imperial" technically, those on this forum may well have better appreciation for it than lumping it in with the general "international" militaria section, and it fits better in here than in the Communist section. :rolleyes:

This is the command flag of the White Northwestern Front, specifically for the troops under the command of Colonel Prince Pavel Bermondt-Avalov. Prince Bermondt-Avalov was classified as an "adventurer" who fought both in the south and in the north on the side of the Whites during the Civil War. His forces counted a reported 50,000 men in their ranks. However, the majority of his officers and many of the men were German Freikorps actually under the direction of German General Count Rudiger von der Goltz.

Bermondt-Avalov was most famed for his flamboyant and outrageous behavior both as a supposed representative of General Denekin with the forces of Ataman Skoropadsky in the Ukraine, and then after the fall of the latter and a trip into Germany assembling forces, he reappeared in the Baltic and joined the Northwestern Front under General Iudenich.

The most famous operation of Bermondt-Avalov's forces was the sacking of Riga, Latvia and the reign of terror that ensued until they were defeated and thrown out of the city on November 10, 1919. That effectively ended the White military command of Prince Bermondt-Avalov as his force ceased to exist.

This is one of the "crown jewels" of my collection. Thanks for letting me share it with you!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    Guest GerritJ9

The colours are faded, but they seem to be black, red and gold which were the colours of the Weimar republic. Perhaps indicating some form of official German Government support??????

Guest GerritJ9

Imperial Russia's colours were white, blue and red, as are the Russian Federation's. Tsar Peter the Great slightly modified the Dutch flag to arrive at Russia's.

And the colours in the flag bear no resemblance to white, blue and red methinks.

That's how I see them ;) , but maybe am I wrong ? Let's Dave arbitrate...

Cheers.

Ch.

Let's try on the colors of black, yellow and white for size? Those were the original colors of this flag, and the colors that several White units fought under.

Check out this link and note the colors of the "civil ensign" that flew until 1883... rather familiar?

http://www.vdiest.nl/Asia/russia.htm

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

Black, orangish-yellow, and white were the colors of the Romanov Family. That combination was also used in the ribbons for the 1913 Romanov Tercentenary medal and the medal for suppression of Polish Rebellion of 1863-64.

Pete

Let's try on the colors of black, yellow and white for size? Those were the original colors of this flag, and the colors that several White units fought under.

Check out this link and note the colors of the "civil ensign" that flew until 1883... rather familiar?

http://www.vdiest.nl/Asia/russia.htm

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm corrected. :speechless::blush:

Cheers.

Ch.