News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 274
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello. Just a preliminary search of the Medal Rolls shows the attached. Samuel E Bennett was entitled to the War and Victory medals and served with the Royal Welsh Regiment and the Territorial Reserve. Seems he survived the war too. Can't find any service records but I've not had chance to look properly yet.

Hope this is of interest.

Glenn.

Hello. Just a preliminary search of the Medal Rolls shows the attached. Samuel E Bennett was entitled to the War and Victory medals and served with the Royal Welsh Regiment and the Territorial Reserve. Seems he survived the war too. Can't find any service records but I've not had chance to look properly yet.

Hope this is of interest.

Glenn.

Thanks !!!

• 4 months later...

Hello All.

Please, where can I find more information about this pte.?

2273337 JAMES LAMBERT - 8th CANADIAN INFANTRY

Another piece of history.

Best regards.

Lambert

Edited by lambert

• 1 month later...

Good Afternoon Lambert.......

There is actually no gold involved in the original manufacture...... This is just a gold coloured coating that was uses and after the first couple of polishings it will all come off.....

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

For something you don't see every day - eBay item #' 221128508556

Bill

Hello Bill,

I have also seen a UK group of four {with a Military Medal} that had a DEFENSIVE SECTOR clasp attached to the vic. I suppose the veterans basically did what they wanted especially if they were no longer in the service.

It is this variety which makes collecting vics interesting.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

I agree with all that you said. This is a post war enhancement by a soldier who no double "may" have had some involvement in the battle. The danger to collectors is when an onlooker believe this combo is a "fact" and passes it on to others. Rob you at level of collecting know better and I am glad to see you straight shoot this, and tell it as it is, "just a vet enhancing his medal" for his own interest.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

I don't think that was ever a 'short-lived' VM ribbon; rather it appears to be a ribbon that French tailors sold to Allied soldiers prior to the official Victory Medal ribbon being available for wear. My uncle, an American doughboy, had one on his ribbon bar also that he had purchased before leaving France for home. Gunner 1

I don't think that was ever a 'short-lived' VM ribbon; rather it appears to be a ribbon that French tailors sold to Allied soldiers prior to the official Victory Medal ribbon being available for wear. My uncle, an American doughboy, had one on his ribbon bar also that he had purchased before leaving France for home. Gunner 1

Hello Gunner

Do you have photos? We would like to see.

Lambert

:cheers:

Good Morning Gunner......

I have seen this medal ribbon in a couple of British Books printed at the time and I also have a ribbon chart with it included.....

I understand that there was a bit of controversy between a couple of countries that had their colours missing and even though they were allies in WW1 one country next to another and the decision was made to go to the rainbow colours......

Mike

Mike: Thanks for your reply. It would be interesting to know the ribbon chart and the book references to which you refer. I have not seen that ribbon listed in any of the major publications on ribbons or medals as an officially issued ribbon. A few years ago I wrote an article for the OMRS Journal on the Type 1 Victory Medal and had access to most, if not all, of the documents on the Victory Medal in The National Archives at Kew and I was unable to find any reference to the ribbon in question. I think the proponderence of evidence is on the side of it being issued by French tailors to soldiers prior to the official ribbon being available, but would be quite interested in any documentation that refutes that proposition. Regards, Gunner 1

Hi Gunner......

I have not been able to put my hands on the book right away but will keep on looking..... In fact I remember something being written in the OMRS Journal going way back.....

But here is the chart that I have had for over 40 years as it was given to me by a very very early member of OMRS.....

Mike

Mike: An interesting chart that must have been produced after MM and MC were authorized but before the 1914 Star, BWM and VM were. Note that the ribbon is referred to as the 'Allied Colours' not the 'Victory Medal' and is next two an unofficial ribbon called France and Belgium. Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 months later...

I am having trouble understanding the difference between the British type 1 and type 2 vics. I've looked through this thread and in Laslo's book, and understand that the type 1 is dark and dull, with the suspension saudered on. However, I'm still having trouble deciding based on pictures, which one I'm looking at. There are a number of British vics on eBay right now, and I really can't tell which ones might be type 1s. The sheen of the medal is not necessarily a giveaway, as I could just be looking at a tarnished type 2. I'm also not sure how to tell by looking whether the suspension is saudered.

Any pointers?