News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KHALKIN GOL 1939

Guest Rick Research

I, too, am unaware of things unknown, but hear reports.

In any case, I think you have suggested a logical chronology, Rick. Until someone extracts the files of contracts from the archives in Ulanbaatar (and figures out how to read the bleedin' things) we may never know for sure. One things to be said for governments -- all governments -- they will keep records of how they spend their (our) treasure.

I really like learning new things . . . :P

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I'm way behind on my "learning" of cyrillic. We have two nuts, two types:

Moscow Artists' Collaberative-Mirror Back & Nut marked

Monetny Dvor Is the "Money Mint" Moscow, or Leningrad?

Still trying to figure out where the Leningrad Mint fits into the scheme?

And I'll ask again........ does anybody have and/or know of any of these that were made in "real silver"?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm way behind on my "learning" of cyrillic. We have two nuts, two types:

Moscow Artists' Collaberative-Mirror Back & Nut marked

Monetny Dvor Is the "Money Mint" Moscow, or Leningrad?

Still trying to figure out where the Leningrad Mint fits into the scheme?

And I'll ask again........ does anybody have and/or know of any of these that were made in "real silver"?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thats a tough one, Rick. Normally "Monetny Dvor" stands for Moscow Mint and "Leningradskii Monetny Dvor" stands for Leningrad Mint. But you find "Monetny Dvor" marked pieces made in Leningrad mint too, OGPW 2nd classes for example.

Well, no matter who made it, it is the one Mongolian Award that I decided to keep. I have 2 examples of each and they're all very beautiful. If there really is a silver one out there, I'd love to get my hands on one. The one thing I have not seen yet is a document. Does anybody have a document for these?

The one thing I have not seen yet is a document. Does anybody have a document for these?

Well, I don't own a doc :( , but I have pix of 3 doc variations :D .

This is the first, no inscriptions on the cover, uighur writing

Jan

Guest Rick Research

Yup, the names on all three of those are Soviet. No photo surprises me, but perhaps not given the literal finger nail sized ones we've seen on other Mongolian award books.

Can't for the life of me decipher the Year/Month/day down the far left on that first one.

The second one at least is in westen numbers, 32-7-25 which makes that

a 1942 bestowal!!!

Sooooo.... that suggests an "ongoing process."

Well . . .

. . . there was the "badge" (more or less) at the time . . .

. . . and then the "medal" later on.

A first phase and second phase of issues, but to whom? Battushig implies, but does not detail, the badge/medal threshold. When/why/how did the the Friendly Northerners get their as opposed to Mongolian nationals?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I do have a document in my possession.

Faded on the outside - probably not visible on scan but there are traces of goldish colored letters / symbols on the cover. The number 29 (i.e. 1939?) is in the inside of the booklet.

As far as I know, there are no other docs with this design, so it is most likely KhG, though I cannot be sure. :blush:

Dr B confirmed it to me - that should give reasonable assurance:)

What's more interesting: such an abundance of KG awards for sale... yet so few booklets. Perhaps they were only given until after the KG award became a medal vs. a badge?

Guest Rick Research

I suspect that the sad "reason" is that these are ugly, dirty, worn booklets that nobody can read, and the "pickers" who find them first ASSUME that nobody is going to WANT them-- so they go in the trash.

This has been the case, in my collecting lifetime, with:

Japanese items (beautiful awards, "no one" can read-- throw paperwork away)

Soviet items-- same thing. When the Union fell apart first, and I was pawing through Soviet items, those first dealers were AMAZED that

1) I actually COULD read Cyrillic and

2) that I (or anybody else) would be interested in "dirty ugly old paper."

I think THAT is why we see paperwork so rarely. NOT that families are embarassed about selling items and deliberately destroy paperwork, but that the first buyers "on the scene" for such items can't be bothered paying THEIR money for items which they THINK they can not readily resell.

And they may be right about "collectors" who JUST want Shiny Things and couldn't care less about WHO GOT THOSE shiny things.

What WE can do is make sure that such On The Spot local "first buyers" know that we DO want the paperwork, and WILL pay for it to be saved in groups rather than anonymous loose items.

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

That just states that it was created as a "badge" on 16 August 1940, but changed in status to a "medal" and given a ribbon bar ribbon per decree of 29 December 1966.

A physical description of the badge follows-- with NOTHING concerning mirror reverse versus plain reverse or information on makers/dates.