News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gallipoli Star with diploma to Obermatrose Landgraf, SMS Baden

kasle

It´s just a folded strip of vintage newspaper, written in german fraktur. About some exhibition in Kunsthalle, from 17. to 24. September. Entrance is for 20 Pfennigs, students have it for 15...
    Probably it was just put there by owner to preserve the award from rattling in the case. This is one of the reason why I think it is not an award case, but either storage box, or universal sales case. I know that for example S&L used very similar ones. I still have one of them, just different size.

Edited by kasle

Hello,

IMO the box I think is just a box to keep it safely, but as said above. it may be a box that the Medal was sold with,who knows?

For more info on the Certificate please see these articles in the Forum:

Best wishes

Demir

Thank you for the useful links, Demir. They confirm what I was able do decipher from the document with the help of my friend. Mainly the fact that the name of awarded person is in second line of text in golden wreath (first photo) - and it indeed is Landgraf. First line is probably the rank (Obermatrose), which is written as "awbrachi" or "awbnachi". Can you please confirm this?

Unfortunately, my friend wasn´t able to find awarding date in the text (it´s very hard for him to read such calligraphy, he said). For me it´s very interesting to know it, because the history of SMS Baden (as the biggest war ship and the last one to be built during Kaiserrreich) is quite well documented.

I agree with the fact that this is not an awarding box. Right now one boxed TWM with asterisk mark is in offer on ebay and the case looks very different (and better). I am tending to believe, this is sales box, because very similar sales boxes are known to be used. I am posting the photo comparison with one sales box from S&L. It is not so deeply taned, as it is 40 years younger piece.

Regards, Miro

9w.jpg

Case_2.jpg

Edited by kasle

Thank you very much, Demir!

I just googled that Turkish Army has the same word (Onbaşi) for Corporal and Seaman Apprentice, aka German Obermatrose. Though Federal Germany already call this rank Gefreiter.

Any chance to catch some date from the doc?

Miro

• 2 months later...

Hello,

He might have been on another ship before but have it while he was serving in this ship or he was working at the HQ. This certificate is not one of the 30.10.1918 ticket type documents which were distributed that day and given also to those who were not in the theatre, this is a document prepared by the Ottoman authorities. So IMO, I can not say why, but he was awarded this medal.

regards

demir