News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On ‎24‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 22:22, LarryT said:

I had a go at colouring the Coastal Artillery photo.

Cheers,

Larry

Ostsee CA Oberfeldwebel1.jpg

Hi Larry!
     Very nice work and nice picture. Thanks for continuing and showing your amazing pictures on the Various Threads of this Forum!

Cheers,Morten.

I thought I would add a little set of photos showing Oath to the Fuhrer ceremonies at the Marine-Kaserne at Wesermunde.

Cheers,

Larry

img215.jpg

img221.jpg

img204.jpg

Next set on the parade ground.

img208.jpg

img211.jpg

img210.jpg

The above photo also shows DAF (Deutsche Arbeitsfront) men present with a good shot of their flag pole top.

Cheers,

Larry

img210b.jpg

Hi,

during the time in question there were three Marine-Kasernen in Wesermünde. This one shows either the one in Bremerhaven but more likely the one in Lehe with the III. Schiffstammabteilung Nordsee (until 1937) or the 10th Schiffstammabteilung (after that), depending on the date the photo was taken. Today the latter barracks house the city administration of Bremerhaven whereas the former is occupied by a language school and commercial offices. The third one will probably not have seen oath-taking ceremonies, as it was a naval school. From 1935-1940 it was home to the 2nd Unteroffizier-Lehrabteilung. It later became a school for the  engine room personnel of the Kriegsmarine. Today it is still a school for the German Navy.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

during the time in question there were three Marine-Kasernen in Wesermünde. This one shows either the one in Bremerhaven but more likely the one in Lehe with the III. Schiffstammabteilung Nordsee (until 1937) or the 10th Schiffstammabteilung (after that), depending on the date the photo was taken. Today the latter barracks house the city administration of Bremerhaven whereas the former is occupied by a language school and commercial offices. The third one will probably not have seen oath-taking ceremonies, as it was a naval school. From 1935-1940 it was home to the 2nd Unteroffizier-Lehrabteilung. It later became a school for the  engine room personnel of the Kriegsmarine. Today it is still a school for the German Navy.

GreyC

Thanks very much for your very useful information. I must apologise for not giving all the information about the photos. I do this sometimes when I am in a hurry.

The top three were taken at the Kaserne in Bremerhaven. The other photos just have "Marine Kaserne" written on them in the same handwriting.

Cheers,

Larry

img215a.jpg

Hi Larry,

the notation clearly is of a much later date. As the naming and renaming of Wesermünde, Geestemünde, Lehe and Bremerhaven is quite complex, I wouldn´t give much for the correctness of the caption/inscription.

Actually, the Kaserne called Wesermünde-Bremerhaven was situated on the border of the harbour which belonged to Bremen and was still called Bremerhaven whereas the living quarters of the former Bremer Bremerhaven belonged to Prussia (Wesermünde) in exchange for territories bordering on the town of Bremen which doubled it´s size, among these cities and villages was Vegesack e.g.

But... anyway. Unless you compare the building structures carefully with reference material, wich is scarce, I wouldn´t want to say for sure where the photos were taken. All three barracks come from the mid thirities and look frustratingly similiar, at least the ones in Wsmd-Brhv and Wsmd-Lehe.

GreyC

Actually,

I am now quite certain it´s Wesermünde Lehe, the Barracks in Wsmd-Brhv did not, to my knowledge, have so much free space around it, on two sides the harbour, the others lined with civil housing.

Compare 3rd photo and 4th in particular. Not the pointed roof to the far right of the modern photo and the open space to the right.

https://www.google.de/search?q=Stadthaus+Bremerhaven&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz3YaOh4nWAhVMZlAKHT3jCNsQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1440&bih=759&dpr=1.33#imgrc=Z2B4zSEbfPRDQM:

http://mapio.net/pic/p-17088206/

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi,

great photos.

The first one, a Kapitän zur See served in WW1 and in a Freikorps active in the Baltic. He wears the Baltic Cross 1st. class next to his IC I and the Wiederholungsspange of WW2. He might have been a pilot or observer in WW1, but the badge is unfortunately obstructed by his arm.

GreyC

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photo showing tropical uniforms in wear. The car is a Mercedes Benz 320. The symbol on the left fender (as far as I know)

shows they served in 4 Marine Kraftwageneinsatzabteilung. More info here. http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations/373-germany-kriegsmarine/kriegsmarine-landgestuetzte-verbaende/7532-4-marinekraftwageneinsatzabteilung

Cheers,

Larry

4 Marine Kraftwagen Einatz Abt.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 3/8/2017 at 05:22, LarryT said:

Hi,

Here is a portrait that has me a little stumped. He wears a uniform which has anchor buttons, the cap has an anchor with what looks like a flag over the top of it. He wears a fouled anchor lapel pin together with an unidentified oval badge.

What is really odd is the WH Funkmeister career badge on his lower left arm. German Merchant Navy or perhaps a civilian company employee? All comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Larry

img202.jpg

The flag over the anchor denotes Merchant Navy.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest addition to my collection. An Oberfeldwebel with what looks like Obermechaniker cyphers on his shoulder straps.

Medal bar L- R:

Hindenberg Cross for Non-combatants, Silesian Eagle II Class Medal, 8 Year Long Service Award, 4 Year Long Service Award.

DRL badge under medal bar and finally Silesian Eagle Ist Class Medal at bottom.

Cheers,

Larry

img279.jpg