News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear forumites,

Stephan was so nice that he sent me some scans of his ancestor's documents and most importantly a picture!

I want to thank him for sharing them to us... Of course I would terribly appreciate any valuable comments to the scan I am going to post.

Thanks again Stephan!

Here's the first image... a portrait of Viktor von Rheinbaben wearing some sort of court parade dress (help!) and his medal bar... difficult to distinguish, but it might be the very medal bar I am so fortunate to own in my collection.

Now it gets more interesting... this decoration mentioned in this document is (unfortunately) not on v.Rheinbaben medal bar, but, if I read correctly - I still have some problems with Sütterlin script -, is the Roter Adler Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife und Schwerter am Ring!!!! Quite rare to say the least... according to the very informative Andreas website (see http://www.medalnet.net/Rote_Adler_3.htm) this class has been bestowed only 15 times!!!! :speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

Na, wie klein die Welt doch (geworden) ist. Freut mich!

the Roter Adler Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife und Schwerter am Ring!!!! Quite rare to say the least... according to the very informative Andreas website (see http://www.medalnet.net/Rote_Adler_3.htm) this class has been bestowed only 15 times!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Claudio, wrong era! In the time we're talking about 841 awards of this class. Still rare... and very nice.

:catjava:

Anyone else notice who signed the document awarding the 25 year long service cross? Sure looks like GFM Helmuth Gr. von Moltke, Chief of the General staff himself put pen to paper for this one.

Andy

Edited by arb

• 10 years later...

I found a photo of Viktor when he saw service right in the beginning of the German unification war (1864) against the Danes …

http://www.museen-nord.de/Objekt/DE-MUS-076111/lido/P8-R-141

Viktor Freiherr von Rheinbaben,
    geb. 8.8.1844 in Petkus, gest. 28.4.1919 in Sandfort
    1864 Leutnant im 3. Garderegiment zu Fuß.
    Handschriftlicher Text auf der Rückseite:
    Freiherr von Rheinbaben
    Seconde Lieutenant im 3. Garde Regiment zu Fuß,
    nahm bei der 2. Kompagnie am Feldzuge 1864 teil.
    Eigentum des Generalmajors S. von Carlowitz
    Berlin, N. W. Alt Moabit 116."
    (1 Rheinbaben, Viktor Freiherr von)

AFDDC0B6-084D-45EE-A915-8F4652CC3855.jpeg