News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The humble beginnings of my Soviet collection

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Star Newspaper, I have a few dozen of these kicking around the house -

Very cool on both counts. Talk about wanting to have digging privileges! :P

Me like... me definitely like!!!! :love::love::jumping::jumping::beer:

I've been tempted to find some papers but so far I haven't. But I think they'd definitely look good with a display. I may have to find some at some point for the Cold War display I want to put on at our local museum. Would make a nice addition I think to all the other goodies. And folks up here lived through all that with the missile bases and AF bases in our state but doubt they've ever seen things from the other side.

Guess I'm off to Ebay to hunt up some as they really look great.

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

A few Hats from Berlin flea markets-

Love the General's cap. :love::love::jumping::jumping: Out of curiosity what size is the Soviet field peaked cap? I've been looking for one in the 59/60 range forever and a day. I have one in a smaller size with the original tag still attached but always wanted the bigger size.

Dan :beer:

A few books, I have a couple more boxes of soviet books and magazines burried in the garage somewhere -

Instant Soviet library... I love it! Beautiful books in great shape. What is the one with the red cover and gold titles that's standing up?

I can tell if you "ever" have a garage sale you need to tell me in time so I can catch the first flight!!!! :cheeky::lol::jumping::jumping:

Instant Soviet library... I love it! Beautiful books in great shape. What is the one with the red cover and gold titles that's standing up?

I can tell if you "ever" have a garage sale you need to tell me in time so I can catch the first flight!!!! :cheeky::lol::jumping::jumping:

It's a book on Soviet medals, decorations and orders, but all of the photos are black and white.

One more -

Yup... just give me some time to get my warchest built up... and give me a call about a day or two in advance of the big garage sale and I'll be there will bells on! :P:beer:

Seriously... fantastic collection... all the way around. I salute you for a job well done. :cheers:

Thanks so much for sharing all this great stuff. And everything in such terrific condition. Quite a treat with which to end the day.

Love the General's cap. :love::love::jumping::jumping: Out of curiosity what size is the Soviet field peaked cap? I've been looking for one in the 59/60 range forever and a day. I have one in a smaller size with the original tag still attached but always wanted the bigger size.

Dan :beer:

Dan - I have two field hats one is a 59 the other a 54. I don't believe I have any General's hats, I think these are just field grade officer parade hats. But I could be wrong, my area of interest is East German, not Soviet. Kevin

Dan - I have two field hats one is a 59 the other a 54. I don't believe I have any General's hats, I think these are just field grade officer parade hats. But I could be wrong, my area of interest is East German, not Soviet. Kevin

In your post #29 the AF (blue band) cap on the top shelf and on the top... not sideways like the others... from the badge I "thought" it's was a General's cap due to the wide wreath on the cockade... but seems this is just the parade version. Sorry bout that! :blush:

The field grade peaked cap I mentioned is bottom shelf, left top with it's brim touching the beer mug. It's all green with the peak and strap being in a dark olive green and the buttons and cockade in a lighter shade of green.

That's the type I've been trying to find in 59. They pop up on occassion... generally when I don't have to cents to rub together. :lol:

The book in red with gold writing is the book that lists all the statutes on why the medal should be awarded, it has copies of the citation documents etc in the back :jumping:

Its avery useful book if you read Russian :P

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

That does sound like a good one... something that Rick would probably love! Or Dave for that matter. As for me... I'm only beginning to pick up a word here and a word there. It's amazing really but where before it was just a bunch of cyrillic characters... now I see a word or words and it pops into my head in Engrish! :cheeky:

I have several books that are all in Russian... oh how I wish I could read them. Perhaps one of these days I'll take a course. It's very tempting. :beer:

Well Im currently learning Russian for two hours every Sunday with a very nice lithuainain women who lives near me :o

Order of Victory

Well there ya go! :P I think we all need a very nice Lithuainian woman to teach us Russian. :cheeky:

Actually I've taken both French and German (both the Hogan's Heroes, TV war series and war movie courses :lol: ) and have always had an interest in various other languages. My problem was always in not having anyone to speak them with. And when you don't speak it, think in it, etc. you lose it over time. I managed to keep up a good bit through my involvement in the hobby as it's almost a necessity. But oh how I wish I'd had someone to speak it with on a daily basis as I'm sure I would have been fluent in now time.

Now the brain cells are old and tired and I'm lucky if I can remember my middle name some days.

But who knows what the future may bring... but if it's a very nice Lithuainian woman... I think I'll have alot of explaining to do as far as my wife is concerned! :rolleyes::cheeky:

The book in red with gold writing is the book that lists all the statutes on why the medal should be awarded, it has copies of the citation documents etc in the back :jumping:

Its avery useful book if you read Russian :P

Order of Victory

I picked it up in an East Berlin bookstore in the late 80s along with several other mostly picture books. Unfortunately I don't read Russian, my wife however took Russian in college and can read a bit of it.

Dan,

Here are photos of forms section of the book

Order of Victory

How hard are these to come by nowdays? I have no measure of value because I was picking this stuff up in the 80s when it was dirt cheap. I didn't know it then, but now I think one of my best investments was in East German and Soviet reference books. Kevin

Besides... it's a 2/3 floor up there and I'm 6'3" so I don't really fit... especially as there are ceiling fans up there (go figure... there when we bought it) and they're like guillotines to me every time I go up there. I'm much more comfortable down in my bunker... safe and snug in mother earth and lots of good old solid American concrete!

I don't ask for much do I? :cheers:

Dan

:off topic:

Hallo Dan, :beer:

you could always invest in a good helmet, I think they make them to fit 6'3" as well as the more vertically challenged :P

Kevin in Deva :beer:

PS my office is upstairs and has a slopping roof, so I appreciate the value of a good helmet :P

:off topic::P