News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The humble beginnings of my Soviet collection

Kevin,

That one is getting harder to find, a lot of the things that once were plentifull are now getting scarce :banger:

I paid 40.50 usd back in 2004 for mine :jumping:

Order of Victory

Wow! I had now idea. I guess I better go through my Soviet books and posters in the garage. Kevin

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, looks great to me. Also love that DDR dagger paperweight. Yet another piece I'm dying for but should have gotten when they were cheap. :speechless:

Thanks much for digging it out and posting it. :cheers:

Dan

Dan - No problem, you and Order of Victory have motivated me to dig thru my garage and see what other hidden treasures I may have forgotten about. I've got a Soviet ammo box burried in there some where as well as a good number of posters, books, magazines, etc... I don't ever remember DDR daggers being cheap, but was distracted by Company Command in 89-90 and I left Germany in early 91 so maybe I missed the glut of material coming out of the East. Kevin

Kev,

Nice helmet!! LOL

You guys have some really awesome collections!

Darrell,

You have amassed a really awesome collection! Have you had any of your groupings researched yet?

Dan, Doc, and Kevin,

Thank you for showing us your treasures. Some of your displays are really creative! I love those uniforms.

Ed,

What else do you have in that box of Soviet goodies?

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

You have amassed a really awesome collection! Have you had any of your groupings researched yet?

Nope. I guess a guy should. I woulnt know which one would be the best candidate. :unsure:

Dan - No problem, you and Order of Victory have motivated me to dig thru my garage and see what other hidden treasures I may have forgotten about. I've got a Soviet ammo box burried in there some where as well as a good number of posters, books, magazines, etc... I don't ever remember DDR daggers being cheap, but was distracted by Company Command in 89-90 and I left Germany in early 91 so maybe I missed the glut of material coming out of the East. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sadly I think the "garage sale" prices may have just gone up! :P:cheeky::beer:

But glad you'll be digging through. By the looks of it you've got an awsome ready made DDR/Soviet collection including references, etc. sitting right there ready to go. Of course if you don't want them let me know as donations are always welcome. :rolleyes::cheeky:

An ammo box is another item I need to pick up one of these days... a couple of German ones as well. I loved the German ones and after years of carrying some of my U.S. ones to the range I can tell you that their idea of making the handles so two could be easily carried in one hand was a fantastic innovation I wish we'd copied.

And on the DDR daggers... they used to run around $50 to $60 or thereabouts when I first started to see them. A bit more for the cased General's/Admirals. Oh how I wish I'd grabbed what I wanted then. But again at that time "everyone" was saying how such things were junk, would never be desireable, etc. so I figured they'd always be cheap. :speechless: Arrrrrgh!

A lesson and a case in point... those who figure the same on Umalatova awards... just send them all to me and I'll be very happy! Cause one mans junk is another man's treasure.

Oh, do yourself a favor... check out anything you're not sure of values on on Ebay. I checked for Soviet papers, just from the homepage and quite a few came up. I think you'll be interested to see the prices for them. It really surprised me. Of course I'm talking myself out of the market here but feel you'd like to know.

Shoot us some more pics when you can... love seeing all this good stuff.

Dan :cheers:

:off topic:

Hallo Dan,

you could always invest in a good helmet, I think they make them to fit 6'3" as well as the more vertically challenged.

Kevin in Deva

PS my office is upstairs and has a slopping roof, so I appreciate the value of a good helmet.

Hi Kevin,

[attachmentid=51038]

Velly Interesting!

Actually I've got a wide selection! :cheeky::lol: Just haven't gotten around to posting alot of that stuff yet.

One rule though... never wear a Pickelhaub for such duty assignments... unless you're very good working with drywall repairs! :rolleyes:

Very nice helmet! Looks like you're all set for your next combat mission! :beer:

Hi Kevin,

Velly Interesting!

Very nice helmet! Looks like you're all set for your next combat mission! :beer:

So we finaly unearth a Rowan & Martin Laugh-In Fan, (Missing since the 70's) what no shot of Goldie Hawn :(

The helmet is just a shell I plan to renovate.

Kevin in Deva, located next to the Transylvania Zone :P

So we finaly unearth a Rowan & Martin Laugh-In Fan, (Missing since the 70's) what no shot of Goldie Hawn :(

The helmet is just a shell I plan to renovate.

Kevin in Deva, located next to the Transylvania Zone :P

Hi Kevin,

Ask and ye shall receive! :jumping:

[attachmentid=51051]

[attachmentid=51052]

As far as our favorite little Kraut I actually got that from one of the others posts I believe. I meant to make a note of from where and whom but didn't and I'm too out of it right now with work and all to hunt it down. So there is at least one other fan lurking around out here in club land. Hope he doesn't mind me "borrowing" the pic... but he's one of my favorite characters and I couldn't resist. And as you see... it's come in velly handy. :P:beer:

:off topic:

VELLY NICE ONE :P ODER ZWIE as the case may be :beer:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Thought you'd like! :P Took some checking to find just the right ones. There's a ton outside of Laugh in and out of the few from the show these are the ones I liked best.

We aim to please. :P:beer:

Ammo box inside -

Very nice books... and the ammo box... WOW! I've never seen a complete one like that. In fact that one I sent you the Ebay link to is the only one I've seen of that type... although I don't generally look for those, so most likely there were more.

Sure wish I was there to help you dig... I love treasure hunts! :P:beer:

Darrell,

The Order of Glory is a valor only award. You cant go wrong there. Are any of the Patriotic war orders, war time issue(not the 1985 issues)? If so, they would be good to research. What is the SN on the Order of the Red Banner?

Kevin,

I love those posters! How difficult are they to find?

Paul

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

The Order of Glory is a valor only award. You cant go wrong there. Are any of the Patriotic war orders, war time issue(not the 1985 issues)? If so, they would be good to research. What is the SN on the Order of the Red Banner?

Kevin,

I love those posters! How difficult are they to find?

Paul

The Order of Red Banner is # 214906

The Order of Glory is # 700111

Appear to be mid-late May 1945 issues ...

Edited by Darrell

The Order of Red Banner is # 214906

The Order of Glory is # 700111

Appear to be mid-late May 1945 issues ...

I would have those researched. Also, are the Patriotic War orders wartime awards or the 1985 versions?

Guest Darrell

I would have those researched. Also, are the Patriotic War orders wartime awards or the 1985 versions?

Nothing exciting there 85s.

Regarding a few things earlier in the thread...

I just picked up a copy of the book with the Soviet order and medal regulations in it off eBay for $20 + $16US shipping. I figured for $36 it was worth adding the collection (though I was surprised I didn't own a copy yet! I've got the Russian Federation one, but not the Soviet one!)

With regard to the poster set that pictures the Soviet awards, I used to have one of those... It's either still in storage or I chucked it years ago. I'm afraid that the latter might have been the end of it... :speechless:

Dave

Regarding a few things earlier in the thread...

I just picked up a copy of the book with the Soviet order and medal regulations in it off eBay for $20 + $16US shipping. I figured for $36 it was worth adding the collection (though I was surprised I didn't own a copy yet! I've got the Russian Federation one, but not the Soviet one!)

With regard to the poster set that pictures the Soviet awards, I used to have one of those... It's either still in storage or I chucked it years ago. I'm afraid that the latter might have been the end of it... :speechless:

Dave

I used to have one of those posters as well... My ex tossed it during one of our moves. It is nice to know that Igor still carries them.

Paul