News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The humble beginnings of my Soviet collection

Hi all,

Just found this photo when I was looking through an old album and thought I'd share it. This was probably about a year into my Soviet collection. Yet another display I put together only to have to remake it and change it a gazillion times since as I've added... and added... and... well, ya'll know the drill. :cheeky::beer:

[attachmentid=50843]

Dan :cheers:

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Darrell

Well I don't think I took a before shot, but this was taken a while back. A Mother Heroine among others have since joined the flock :catjava:

IPB Image

Hi Gents,

All I can say is... WOW!!!! :love::love::jumping::jumping: Those displays are fantastic! Thanks soooo much for sharing them. :beer:

When I started I think my first actual Soviet piece was my Moisen Nagant revolver and that was before the wall fell. Then the pictured medal and doc and a few of the little tinny type pins. I managed to find the bookmarks with the Soviet stamps at a large discount book store over in Panama City. I was always finding Soviet coins and currency at my local coin dealers junk box. After a few years I managed to do those big trade deals and got nearly all the basic and mid range medals and Orders in basically one fell swoop. Since then I've just been adding... and adding. Never seems to end.

One of these days I've "got" to do a group shot like that... perhaps with my DDR and Bulgarian added in as well. That should just about cover my living room floor! :lol: But such a large display is soooo impressive to me and I'm sure alot of the membership would be in full agreement.

Just fabulous! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Here's my Soviet collection. Currently "in transit", pending new quarters once we reclaim square feet from our just-departed-to-college daughter.

:jumping:

(Hope my wife didn't see that . . . .)

I hear you, mine departs on Thur and Fri her room becomes my "den/office" :jumping: Wife says if I move the TV and computer in there I'll never have a reason to come out except to eat and sleep. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Hi Gents,

Ed... how I remember our moves! ;) I've never seen so many boxes in my life. I had between 80 and 90 just in videos! Been collecting those since about 1977. I'm a big movie (and TV) fan... just think Remington Steele... although I don't generally spout titles, actors and studios... but I do speak in movie/tv ese much of the time. I keep saying if they ever put me in a home it'll have to be the TV & Movie home out in California as no one else will be able to translate! :cheeky::lol:

When we moved it was actually out of our home of twenty some odd years, most going to storage down there and the rest to my friend John's. We were there eight months (Trust me... that's a FRIEND! :rolleyes: HE's actually like a brother and just a great guy... and now a GMIC member too... can't beat that!) and then we loaded up two huge trucks and made the final move. Still have two storage areas filled to bulging that we need to go through.

Needless to say... I "hate" boxes! :cheeky:

As far as kids and college... Nick's been making rummbling noises about deciding where he wants to go. But it will probably be within 1 to 1.5 hours away so his room will probably stay as is. Besides... it's a 2/3 floor up there and I'm 6'3" so I don't really fit... especially as there are ceiling fans up there (go figure... there when we bought it) and they're like guillotines to me every time I go up there. I'm much more comfortable down in my bunker... safe and snug in mother earth and lots of good old solid American concrete! So I think if his room eventually comes up for grabs Kim can have it. Then perhaps I can have her current office as that would be perfect.

Hmmmm, I feel a chat coming on with the Mrs. right now. May as well plant the idea and give it time to grow.

And Kevin... trust me when I say I'd be in the same boat re: the TV and such. I'm actually hoping and praying for holodecks some day. Then I'm going to go in, weld the door shut (assuming there are restrooms and food replicators available) and I'm never, never coming out again. I'll be quite happy reliving history and all my favorite shows for the rest of my days.

I don't ask for much do I? :cheers:

Dan

Hauptman,

Intresting thread, heresa pic one of the first soviet pieces i bought, I hope one day collection i like this , enjoy :jumping:

Its all the medals up 1987 on it and with the date it was instituded :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

VERY NICE piece!!!! :love::love::jumping::jumping: Any idea if they still pop up from time to time? I'd absolutely love one of those. Any idea what it would cost to get one printed?

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Some real nice collections here :beer: I would be embarassed to post my measly Soviet piece's. It's amazing how big the house turns when the kids leave. I am going to display my collection in my daughter's old room........if I ever get the painting done. :(

Hi Laurence,

Would definitely love to see pics once the transformation is complete. :P:beer:

Guest Darrell

Some real nice collections here :beer: I would be embarassed to post my measly Soviet piece's. It's amazing how big the house turns when the kids leave. I am going to display my collection in my daughter's old room........if I ever get the painting done. :(

I expect to be seeing the daughter leave in a couple of years as well ... that would leave her room for ................ probably more of the wife's stuff :angry::banger:

Edited by Darrell

I expect to be seeing the daughter leave in a couple of years as well ... that would leave her room for ................ probably more of the wife's stuff :angry::banger:

Hi Darrell,

Know the feeling... went in and chatted for a sec about the "possibilities" and she was like "You already have a third of the house... plus the living room." Well, I admit I spend much of my time in the living room... only until I'm able to redo my bunker like I want. Need to get the floor redone (concrete) and then put up wall board, etc. Total redo. But that's still a few years away I fear.

I've got plenty of room to store things but my dream is displays, displays and more displays! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

I mean, once I saw Jack Angolia's collection in his bunker... there was no going back. I'll "never" reach those heights... but would love a feel of some of what he did... and his was an amazing collection. Put all the museums I've ever seen to shame.

God, i?d love to dig in that box for a day or two :)

Hi Gerd,

I suspect there are probably traps in there... nasty devices for nipping off prying fingers! :P:cheeky: Who knows what sinister things lurk in... "the box". :cheers:

But I too would love to dig for a bit. Would be a nice way to spend an afternoon... or two... or three or... well, you get the idea. :beer:

Hauptman,

Intresting thread, heresa pic one of the first soviet pieces i bought, I hope one day collection i like this , enjoy :jumping:

Its all the medals up 1987 on it and with the date it was instituded :jumping:

Order of Victory

I have something simular to this packed away in my garage somewhere along with a few copies of the English translated version distributed by the British Army of the Rhein. As I recall the original Soviet poster is a two piece deal. If anyone is interested I'll try to dig one out and photograph it. I picked up a lot of Soviet books and several posters when I was stationed in Berlin and Hanau in the late 80s and early 90s. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

I have something simular to this packed away in my garage somewhere along with a few copies of the English translated version distributed by the British Army of the Rhein. As I recall the original Soviet poster is a two piece deal. If anyone is interested I'll try to dig one out and photograph it. I picked up a lot of Soviet books and several posters when I was stationed in Berlin and Hanau in the late 80s and early 90s. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Definitely! Would love to see it!!!! :jumping::jumping::love::love: Will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Would love to see the other posters and such too if not too much trouble. :beer:

Dan

Hi Kevin,

Definitely! Would love to see it!!!! :jumping::jumping::love::love: Will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Would love to see the other posters and such too if not too much trouble. :beer:

Dan

I'll look for them this week. Unfortunately they are burried under all of my daughter's stuff we moved from her room (my office/den) to the garage. Kevin

I'll look for them this week. Unfortunately they are burried under all of my daughter's stuff we moved from her room (my office/den) to the garage. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No rush... I'm a captive audience. :P:beer:

Dan

Ta Da.. :P .If I knew how much they were worth I'd have taken better care of it. Still looking for the BOAR copy with English text.

Hey, looks great to me. Also love that DDR dagger paperweight. Yet another piece I'm dying for but should have gotten when they were cheap. :speechless:

Thanks much for digging it out and posting it. :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman