News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OGPW 1st 1985 Issue

Hi all,

Here's my latest acquisition... and I think I did well if I do say so myself. :P Fresh off Ebay and for considerably less than I figured it would go for.

[attachmentid=51263]

Also, I wanted to mention that I borrowed these great pics from Alexander over at Soviet Screwbacks.com. Turns out he was the seller which I didn't realize until afterwards when he got in touch.

Edited by Hauptman

[attachmentid=51265]

A 1985 issue Order of the Great Patriotic War 1st Class and IMHOP a real beaut! I could dive into that gold and swim around all day. One of the nicest I think I've seen in a long time.

The number is 474172. The Alex stated this was a "low" number and:

"All low numbers were issued to high ranking military and political officials!"

Is that statement correct? I did not buy it on that basis but strictly due to it's beauty and condition. But that would definitely be a plus.

I think I did really well on this one at $25.05 plus $5 shipping. I believe they've been running in the $40 some odd range if I'm not mistaken... and they really seem to be drying up. In fact I think there was a thead to that effect at some point. The 2nds seem to turn up all the time but not the 1sts.

I already have an 85 issue 1st but as much as I like it this one really shines in my eyes. :love::love:

I'll try to post my other in a bit for comparison.

Luck was with me as I really thought for sure it would hit the $40 to $50 range. Needless to say I'm very happy I managed to get it at the price I did as if it went much higher I would have had to pass... and on this one that would have really hurt! :D

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

Hey Dan, nice. I think these '85 awards are really under-appreciated. I have two 1sts and two 2nds. The first two below I got from Gerd :beer: and have awards, the last two (not in as good shape) without. I got the ones from Gerd for $30. So I'd say you did ok.

1. 1st Class:

Hi Darrell,

Hey my friend, nothing shabby about any of those. That first is to die for! Beautiful photo... looks like a glamour shot with that one. Hmmm, boudoir photography for Orders and medals... :rolleyes:

And the "salty" ones... well, just worn with pride types with a good patina on them. Shows they've been there and done that.

But boy, I'm drooling over that first 1st you posted. You "ever" want to let that one go please oh please give me a shot at it. Just hope I've got either the money or potential trade goods to do it by then.

And having them with the docs... none of my OGPW's have docs with the exception of the one in my Georgian group and that's the award booklet. How I wish this one I just got also had the doc. But perhaps it'll show up in time. Stranger things have happened.

Many thanks for sharing yours. I really enjoyed seeing them... especially that first one. drool drool! :love: I'll be pulling mine up and scanning them in a bit once things calm down around here. :lol:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Thats a real nice one with a really really low number, Dan :beer: I have two pairs of these 85er issues too, which belong to groups and they are indeed quite nice, but once, you have discovered the beauty of the wartime issues, you are lost, man :P;)

PS: Darrel, glad, you still like them ;)

Edited by Gerd Becker

Thats a real nice one with a really really low number, Dan :beer: I have two pairs of these 85er issues too, which belong to groups and they are indeed quite nice, but once, you have discovered the beauty of the wartime issues, you are lost, man :P;)

PS: Darrel, glad, you still like them ;)

Hi Gerd,

In a word... WOW! :beer:

Becaused they were given to GPW veterans merely for surviving?

Hi Ed,

Had been wondering about this myself. Seems these are pretty much a neglected area for the most part. Everyone feels they're so common and just don't bother much with them.

But is this also the case for lower numbered examples? Turns out I got this one from Alexander over at Soviet Screwbacks.com which I didn't realize till he got in touch afterward. He'd said in his auction description that these low numbered awards were to higher ranking military and political officials. Would sure be nice to find out something on them if this is indeed the case. :unsure:

Hi all,

Here's my first OGPW 1st class 1985 issue:

[attachmentid=51338]

[attachmentid=51339]

And here's a group shot of all my OGPW... for now. I have the other 1st class coming this next week, plus I'm waiting on the final word but believe I've worked out not just the one other 2nd Umalatova but the other four the seller had left as well. So I'll have a total of six Umalatova GPW's before too much longer. Hope to have pics of them to share very soon.

[attachmentid=51340]

Top row, left to right:

1st class WWII type 2 variation 1, 2nd class WWII

Second row, left to right:

1st class 1985, 2nd class 1985

Third row:

Both 2nd class 1985

Bottom:

2nd class Umalatova

So once I have this new 1st class and the remaining Umalatova's I'll have a total of thirteen OGPW's. I wonder if I'm becoming obsessed with these little jewels? :P To be honest, I never thought I'd have this many but I guess it's like so many other slippery slopes in this hobby. :beer:

Edited by Hauptman

Other than biographical research on individuals, driven by having the document, I don't see where one could go.

Hi Ed,

So research based just on the number is not possible? ;) I got this from Alexander Filer over at Soviet Screwbacks.com. He made a comment in one of his emails to me which made me think it might be possible to do it based solely on the number. :unsure:

It's not a biggie one way or the other... just would have been a nice little dollop cream on top of it all. :P

Mucho thanks! :cheers:

Dan

So far as I know -- and I could be wrong -- research on the 1985 OPWs is not possible. Such research would cost rather more than the cost of the award anyway? I presume they were numbered and cocumneted because awards were supposed to be numbered and documented. And they were respected at the time. Coming back to the US from India (via Frankfurt) at about that time, I wound up sitting next to a veteran coming back to the US after going back to the USSR to get his OPW, which he was wearing -- he had literal tears in his eyes talking with pride about his new award!