News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OGPW 1st 1985 Issue

So research based just on the number is not possible? ;) I got this from Alexander Filer over at Soviet Screwbacks.com. He made a comment in one of his emails to me which made me think it might be possible to do it based solely on the number. :unsure:

Here's the deal with research by serial number: First, the archives technician goes to the book that lists all of the issued awards, and then finds the serial number range that that particular award falls into. They can then track what front (region, etc.) was given that serial number range for an award. Next, they go to that front's award distribution list to see what unit received that award. Then, they go and find out the unit that issued the award, the award number, and finally can trace the recipient. At that point, they can find the person's award card, and then track down more info on the person.

The catch to the 1985 jubilee awards is that I am not certain that the records of who received what award are in the archives. The record keeping may have been held on a local basis, and thus the award numbers were never recorded by the archives. Moreover, the 1985 awards were never (or rather, rarely ever) recorded on the person's award card, thus making it impossible to find more information on the person.

Basically, you can track down what region and even what city a particular OGPW was given out in (a friend of mine has compiled a list of cities and what range of serial numbers they received) but beyond that, since there was no further record keeping, it would be impossible to track down any further information.

Hope that makes sense - it's been a long day at work!

Dave

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Still on vacation in Florida and so far have found nothing of particular interest locally. But I'm still finding goodies here and on Ebay. Here's my latest addition to my OGPW's... another 85 1st class:

I stumbled on it after a day of watching things I wanted go way too high. This was cheap so I grabbed it. Before long I think I'm going to need a ranch to keep this ever growing herd! :cheeky: I think this is my 14th or 15th OGPW of various types and of both classes. I guess it's like potato chips... you can't stop with just one. :P

Dan :cheers:

Paddywhack,

can you make a picture and post it here. Some of the OGPW?s 2nd class 85 have changed serial numbers.

to fit them to groups with missing OGPW?s.

461.xxx is a 1945 OGPW made in Febuary.

Another possiblity is that the OGPW was a 1st class 85 and lost its gold, that happen sometimes due to cheap quality.

best regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Paddywhack,

in this serial number range 490.xxx it could only be a first class OGPW 1985 version.

Maybe the gold plating is totally lost. This happens sometimes. Are there any traces of gold plating left?

Your serial number looks a little bit blowzy/sloppy made.

Compare it with the picture. Are there any traces of polishing around the serial number area? Is there a number

before the 4?

best regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

actually it looks very like the serial numbers i have other orders from the mid 80s! but nope thats the serial number i had a VERY good look at it but theres nothing that looks like anything was messed with!!! it is very very worn though on the front and back!!(the pics dont realy show it though~!!!!) very interesting! il get more pics on saturday as i dont have it in the place im living at the moment!!!thanks frot he replies though!!

Been watching this thread for a little while and took the plunge. Had my choice of about 20 today, all from the low one millions up to the six million range (what range is Afghanistan???) But I had to go with the 'thats interesting' for my purchase... :rolleyes:

. . . (what range is Afghanistan???) . . . .

No OPWs for Afghanistan. It ended (as the name suggests) with the GPW victory. (There were late awards, but the "85s" are a quite different thing -- just for, as the song put it, "stayin' alive".)