News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For Russian Veterans of the German Army WW2 (Modern Issue).

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

Just spotted these on German ebay, I think you would want to have a brass neck to walk around the former USSR wearing these :P

Ostvolker 15th German Kosak Kav' in Gold with swords 1 Class for officer.

Ostvolker 15th German Kosak Kav' in Gold without swords 1 Class for officer.

Ostvolker of the Wlassow Army. (Blue Yellow Ribbon).

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Gentlemen, I hate to start with negative comment, but did you give a thought to a very remote possibility of German side Cossacsk surviving in sufficient numbers to wear such awards. I think that after events surpassed on the attached picture, the medals found on ebay are somebody's attempt to fix an income.IPB Image

Edited by Hrycian

Gentlemen, I hate to start with negative comment, but did you give a thought to a very remote possibility of German side Cossacsk surviving in sufficient numbers to wear such awards. I think that after events surpassed on the attached picture, the medals found on ebay are somebody's attempt to fix an income.IPB Image

That thought crossed my mind as well. Yet, nothing suprises me these days. Where is this painting located?

One of the Cossack museums in US. They do not readily advertise their activities, you know.

But the reproduction has been circulating all over for last 40 years at the minimum, I saw its black and white copies in 1960-s mags of the Russian emigres.

Now mind you, gentlemen, at least the first badge is supposedy ROA, or the Russian Liberation Army. Let us assume that they survived and dare to come out of hiding. Problem is that Russia is not Ukraine or Baltics were Germans are often viewed as a lesser evil than Russia itself. Putin has been propagating the ideas of the "holy mother Russia" and Roa does not seem to fit the pattern. But even if they did. The awards are done in a style that does not resemble anything from Russian parish. No heavy enameling, ribbons look wierd. A ROA veteran would know very well, that a blue ribbon was out there for the civilians and NSDAP party officials, so what kind of oxymoron is a blue ribboin with swords below it. Frankly the manner of the production seems to be very US "affordable sports trophies" in style. Relief is poor and the symbolics are rather primitive too.

Considering the treatment meted out to the Cossaks and Russians who were handed over after the war, I would be supressed that there would be many left to wear it!

At least not in Russia, although, from what I hear, they and their ideology are alive and well in some of the other former-Soviet republics.

There are many semi-fantasy "Cossack" awards about, who knows how legitimate they are.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Gentlemen, I see that there is some interest in the subject of Cossacks. Allow me a couple of days and I will try to put together a brief anthology on a subject.

Untill then, here are the only two German service cossack signs that were in official use known to me:

The Kononov Cross , whhich was a unit sign of the likewise named commander

IPB Image

and Young Cossacks School Badge, which was worn by the cadets in Cossack Core

IPB Image

Edited by Hrycian

Gentlemen, I see that there is some interest in the subject of Cossacks. Allow me a couple of days and I will try to put together a brief anthology on a subject.

Untill then, here are the only two German service cossack signs that were in official use known to me:

The Kononov Cross , whhich was a unit sign of the likewise named commander

IPB Image

and Young Cossacks School Badge, which was worn by the cadets in Cossack Core

IPB Image

Thank you, I am looking forward to your presentation, could you possibly include some post war history into the '50s. Lost causes and the people that fought for them fascinates me. :cheers:

• 7 months later...

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

Just spotted these on German ebay, I think you would want to have a brass neck to walk around the former USSR wearing these :P

Ostvolker 15th German Kosak Kav' in Gold with swords 1 Class for officer.

Ostvolker 15th German Kosak Kav' in Gold without swords 1 Class for officer.

Ostvolker of the Wlassow Army. (Blue Yellow Ribbon).

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Medal/ribbon combination on the first medal makes no sense.

Yellow-blue are Ukrainian colors, while ROA on the medal is Russian phenomenon.

More appropriate colors would be blue, white or red.

William