News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6-digit Red Star-worth the research?

Hi everyone,

this is the second Red Star, which came in a lot with the Duplicate, posted in the other thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11204

I would like to ask the research-pro?s like Dave, Rick or Doug, if they think, its worth to research such a 5XX.XXX ORS? You guys know me, i research everything :cheeky: , but what do you think? Its definately not a Long Service Award.

Would YOU research it or better the Duplicate, which is most likely also not a LS-award?

Thanks for your opinion.

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Gerd,

I have no willpower - I hold a piece in my hand and wonder about where it's owner went and what he or she did. I research almost everything. You never know what you're going to get and that's a part of the fun. In addition, as the caretakers of these awards, we are responsible for preserving the history that goes with them.

Doug

Gentlemen,

thanks for your opinions. I am going to get it researched. Its the same with me, the curiousity of the who?s, where?s and why?s are forcing me to reseach the most of my orders, even the single pieces. And who knows how long reseach will be available.

Thanks again

Gerd

Absolutely! As Ricks' tattoo reads "RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH".

You make a good point that research may some day be closed off and we need to get all the information we can in whatever windows of opportunity exist. While it may be a silly investment in terms of resale value, it is a mandatory investment when it comes to the restoration of history to what is otherwise just a pretty chunk of metal, enamel, and (sometimes) ribbon. Doug is absolutely right.

It also makes the Master Researcher very happy and pays the cost of his new house. :P

We await the results . . . :jumping:

Absolutely! As Ricks' tattoo reads "RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH".

You make a good point that research may some day be closed off and we need to get all the information we can in whatever windows of opportunity exist. While it may be a silly investment in terms of resale value, it is a mandatory investment when it comes to the restoration of history to what is otherwise just a pretty chunk of metal, enamel, and (sometimes) ribbon. Doug is absolutely right.

It also makes the Master Researcher very happy and pays the cost of his new house. :P

We await the results . . . :jumping:

Thanks, Ed. I never think about the resale value, when i buy a piece, but about the historical significance it may have. I have enjoyed all of my researches so far, and this piece just speaks to you and i am very curious, what results it will bring. Will keep you updated of course.

Thanks again to all who commented!

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

For fun, I added up how many Red Stars that I currently own that are waiting for research....

28!

:o

That will be one heck of a research bill if they all came back at the same time! (I've had worse though!)

For statistical timing purposes, the oldest request date of them is 21 Feb 06 (now almost 7 months later.) There's another from 26 Feb 06, and five from 12 Mar 06. The rest range from May to September.

Dave

Yeah, i know, what you mean. Mine are not as high as yours, but high enough. The last research bill was more than i spent for my most expensive Order/Medal group. :speechless:

I know the feeling too. But I have never regretted any research expenditure. :jumping: