News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

People's Republic of Bulgaria

Hi Doc -

Very nice items you have there - dont see Bulgarian items much. Any idea why the Anti-Facist medal has the trifold ribbon while the other have the standard Soivet style? It was my understanding that Hungary was one of the only Warsaw pact nations to keep their traditional trifold style. That medal interests me -

Hunyadi,

Thank You!! The tri-fold medal is my favorite. I don't have any answers regarding the 5-sided suspensions and the tri-fold. If I were to guess I would have to say that it was the Soviet "Influence".

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc -

Yes - what I was trying to say was that all of the Warsaw pact nations adopted the 5 sided ribbon in one way or another. Hungary even has some very rare five sided ribbons, but they are very rare - it was decided very early in the Hungarian Communist Party that the ribbons would follow the traditional trifold. Of even further interest is the commemorative medal for 40 years of communism in Hungary. 1919-59 medal. (since communsits still lived in Hungary during the Horhty era - ) the ribbon however follows the same pattern and nealry the same dimensions for the different colors as the WW2 era War Ribbon of HUngary.

To get back on point - the trifold for the Anti-Fascist Fighter seems to devitae extensivly from the five sided ribbon standard completely. Very interesting. Can anyone else confirm tha this was the standard???

regards

Charles

Edited by hunyadi

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is again with award packet.

The Bulgarian Order of 9 September 1944, was instituted on 9 Sept 1945, for the people (both military and civilians) of Bulgaria who took part in the armed revolt against the Nazi oppressors.

The obverse of the award has the face of "Vassil Levski" who was the Bulgarian Patron Saint of Freedom. The reverse has a screw back fastener and has the "Strahil Miloshev" maker mark. The screw fastener also has 9 Sept 1944, stamped on it and is surrounded by laurel leaves. It came in an envelope packet, which was used prior to the standardized red leatherette style cases. During the 1980's, due to cost the Bulgarian Communist Government switched from the leatherette boxes to a red plastic cases.

This award was produced from 1945 to 1989 and came in 3 classes with two variations (with and without swords). The first class was a neck order that was doubled sided white enamel. The 2nd Class also had white enamel but had a screw back type fastener, just like the 3rd class. This award had many emissions during its short 44 year life span.

Edited by John F.