I found a small 3 place medal bar that has a most unusual backing to it. The red felt is cut in a manner which I have never seen before. Instead of the usual zigzag pattern it is cut into loops, with miniature zigzags cut into the edges. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Here is the front:

[attachmentid=57582]

Guest Brian von Etzel

Without holding it I can't be sure but it sure sets off the bad bells in my head. A China vet with a non-reg medal in the third place and the China medal looks a little light...

Edited by Brian von Etzel

hummm

there jumps 3 possibilities in my head.....

1) co?ncidence..

2) same manufacturer.

3) same faker....

What could be it??

Since this style of backing is not unusual, it could only really be the first two items in your list.

In my view, neither of the bars look remotely as though a faker had anything to do with them.

Guest Brian von Etzel

No doubt I'm wrong, I was thinking the China medal looked awfully new combined with a very old looking EKII. And it looked thin to me. Probably just the photo.

In searching I found another 3 place bar (Don - please forgive me for posting this without asking first) with the same cut in the backing material.

No apology required. We all post here for comments and learning. :beer:

Edited by dond

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael