News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Snazzy Cased EK2

The remaining base piece, though now loose as the old "animal" glue has dried out and cracked, the positioning of the glue shows that it was once firmly attached, and thus couldn't be used in the same manner as Terry has shown.

Even removing the plinth exposes a piece of the base stiffener which is not covered with the purple velvet.

So, the purpose of the hook remains somewhat baffling.

Maybe for a War Honour cross?

Very good suggestion Rich. And of course given its "lowly" status, tucked in behind the EK would be a logical place to store it. Damn, another rare and expensive piece I have to buy to finish this one off. :P

Rick, Yes there is a split joint on one of the corners. The joints are only soldered anyway, so it would be easy enough to repair, but I have simply pushed it back by hand to "close the gap" and it looks fine.

For those who may have missed it in the Forum Sale Room, definitely one of the most unusual cased EK2s I've encountered.

Yup. I was going for my wallet, and it was gone by the time my hand got to my pocket.

Might not the hook be for a miniature? The "depression" beneath it seems to suggest something small sat there.

Edited by Ralph A

please refer to der rittmeister under iron crosses,

near the bottom of the section.

joe

Could you post a link? Anyone familiar with this site knows what a chore it is to drill down to anything... expecially at the bottom of one of his long loooong pages.

Very interesting alternative. The dimensions certainly allow the rear portion to comfortably contain a pocket watch. Its a shame that the rear portion isn't shaped for whatever sat there in the way that the top plinth is shaped for the EK.

WW1 period German pocket watches turn up from time to time on EBay but I'd like to be certain thats what should really be there before trying to get hold of one to complete this set.