News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Which version of Tamara document?

Can you post those?

I find absolutrely NOTHING on the guy.

I have been working from the assumption that he was a Bavarian ("Christmas 1918" medal, gilt instead of issue black) but getting nowhere from that angle.

ANY clues as to his origins, ranks at paperwork issue times and so on would be most welcome.

I can't even imagine how he could have gotten that Marianerkreuz.

THAT is the Cross of "Simon Petlyura", awarded to "Major Sayffaerth" by the (exiled) Ukrainian government in 1932.

How do I know that? The thing is being sold by Zeige, along with a Russian St. Nikolaus exile order, awarded in 1957 to Major Sayffaerth, ------ and his Tamara (with document)!

Thanks, Chris :beer:

Rick Research said:

Which version of Tamara document?

Can you post those?

I find absolutrely NOTHING on the guy.

I have been working from the assumption that he was a Bavarian ("Christmas 1918" medal, gilt instead of issue black) but getting nowhere from that angle.

ANY clues as to his origins, ranks at paperwork issue times and so on would be most welcome.

I can't even imagine how he could have gotten that Marianerkreuz.

According to the documents, he was born in Berlin. There was a publishing house Sayffaerth in Berlin at that time, maybe he was connected to that.

He was Lt dR still in 1920. The 1932 exile-Ukraine doc and the 1957 (!) doc show him as Major. Obviously dR, since he was a state attorney. But he must have been high up in some organisation - maybe SA?

Here is the Tamara doc scan from Zeige:

sayff3.jpg

Edited by webr55

And finally the Simon Petlyura thing. Heiko, that belongs on your bar!!!

BTW, whoever fiddled with the bar and removed the Simon Petlyura also switched the places of the Tirol and Austrian commemorative medals. :mad:

sayff5.jpg

Edited by webr55

thank you very much, I have never seen this ukrainian award before!!!

the medal bars show: (in german,sorry...)

1.Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse 1914 mit Wiederholungsspange 1939

2.Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1939

3.Kreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst

4.Bayern Militärverdienstorden

5.Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz

6.Frontkämpferehrenkreuz

7.Österreich Ehrenzeichen vom Roten Kreuz 2.Klasse mit Kriegsdekoration

8.Marianerkreuz

9.Österreich Ehrenmedaille vom Roten Kreuz mit Kriegsdekoration

10.Österreich Kriegsdenkmünze

second bar:

1.Freikorps Schlesischer Adler 2.Klasse

2.Tirol Kriegsdenkmünze

3.25 Jahre Treue Dienste

4.Bayern Hochzeitsmedaille 1923

5.Ungarn Kriegsdenkmünze

6. Bulgarien

7.Bulgarien

8.Bulgarien Kriegsdenkmünze

9.Finnland Medaille zur Erinnerung an den Freiheitskrieg

10. Ukraine

11. Türkei RotKreuz Medaille

on the ribbon bars are some more things like the Auszeichnung für Ostvölker, the Tamara or the portugese red cross order

I think he was in 1944 in the Führerhauptquartier as a Major....

Edited by Dave Danner
    fix diacritics

Guest Rick Research

What does the REST of that Tamara document look like? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

That is not the "Legion" document, 1916/17. Nor is it the GERMAN provisional of 1918 or final of 1919.

• 2 years later...

I know the Sayffaerth story is sad... but still... this is him after the war.

Quite a weird personality, he called himself "Großmeister of the Order Signum Fidei" and was selling titles to others... I found a story in Der Spiegel 1960 about him: He claimed that the Order Signum Fidei was derived from a count Reinhartsbrunn during the Crusades, whose last descendant was living deep in the Mexican jungle and had supposedly allowed his order to be given away by Sayffaerth....

Here's the link to the original Spiegel article - with photo:

http://wissen.spiege...pdf&thumb=false

According to this article, he was selling his order at the following prices...

Knight: 1500 marks

Officer: 3000 marks

Commander: 6000 marks

Grand Cross: to be negotiated 

And btw, Huesken is selling all classes of this order... including the award doc to "Grossmeister" Sayffaerth...

Edited by webr55

• 14 years later...

Hello,

I know this is an old thread and the reason I'm posting here was due to my discovering some photos in my extensive photo collection pertaining to Gerhard Friedrich Wolfgang Sayffaerth. I was seeking information on him through another Group website and one of the members pointed me to this forum. I have eight photos of Dr. Major Gerhard Friedrich Wolfgang Sayffaerth. I'm posting three of them here. 

img627.jpg

8 hours ago, W PETZ said:

In an earlier posting it was mentioned that he must have been high up in some organization - Maybe SA.  Dr. Major Sayffaerth was in fact a member of the SA and I do have a photo of him wearing a ribbon bar in SA Uniform. His connections to the Party could also explain why he was assigned to the Führerhauptquartier.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread and the reason I'm posting here was due to my discovering some photos in my extensive photo collection pertaining to Gerhard Friedrich Wolfgang Sayffaerth. I was seeking information on him through another Group website and one of the members pointed me to this forum. I have eight photos of Dr. Major Gerhard Friedrich Wolfgang Sayffaerth. I'm posting three of them here. 

img627.jpg

Here is Dr Sayffaerth in SA Uniform

img629.jpg

Edited by W PETZ

I read in several places that there is a sad story or sad ending to Dr. Sayffaerth but no details Can someone briefly explain what happened to him

He became an award dealer, but not in the Weitze way.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ritterschlag-auf-raten-a-1dad7a90-0002-0001-0000-000043065533

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/lametta-auf-raten-a-c9a303b4-0002-0001-0000-000043065640

Untranslatable by Browser, but with pictures.

Its the report from the first link above from 26.04.1960:

https://magazin.spiegel.de/EpubDelivery/spiegel/pdf/43065533

Edited by Bernd_W

I think it was a little bit more than becoming a dealer.  He apparently had delusions of grandeur which was a trait in Party membership during the war. Thinking he could sell made up titles and awards during post war just shows how crazy history was during that period in time.

Edited by W PETZ