News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Do you remember your very first Soviet ODM?

So, seeing the posting of a first combat service medal as the start of a new collection on another thread, I thought to myself.....

....why not each of us post pics of the very first Russian order or medal that started off our fascination with Russian ODMS?? Just be sure its the very piece no matter how humble that started us on the road to total perdition...... :cheeky:

To try to keep it simple...we post:

- pics of obverse and reverse (if possible)

- name of order/medal

- serial number

- year of acquisition

- provenance (dealer/fleamarket/ebay etc etc) and country

- approximate price paid at the time in USD

Should be interesting :P

Jim

Edited by jimzammit

My First was:

The Order of the Badge of Honor, T4 Concave reverse

Serial Number: 377765

Awarded to: Fydor Timofeevich Godozhnik

I believe I bought it from Igor in 2002 (?) and I don't remember what I paid for it.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Hers mine Order of Red Banner of Labour bought for $20 off ebay on 26 Jan 2004 from Newcastle upon Tyne in England off EBAY.

I bought it because I ghtought the Hammer and Sickel were cool :jumping: ths started a slippery slope :cheeky:

BTW not only was it my first Soviet ODM but it was the first thing I bought out of my first wage packet :o

Order of Victory

I agree with Gerd. I bought a 20th & 30th Anniversary of the GPW on the same order and they were actually the first items on that order. I added to OBoH after a second look at my wallet and the price tag. Any first medal is important. It starts you down the road.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Gentlemen,

Here is my first piece. It was purchased from a street vendor in Volgograd in May ?95 for $5. Having collected Imperial German for twenty years at that point, I certainly had no interest in collecting Soviet - after all, the Soviet dealers at OMSA had shoe boxes full of the stuff. :rolleyes: Surely, it would never be worth anything. :speechless: The following August, I met Igor Moiseyev at OMSA and, it was ?welcome to the slippery slope? time. :jumping: Anyway, I bought this piece, having no idea as to what it was, because I thought that it would be a wonderfully symbolic souvenir of my visit.

Great idea for a thread, thank you.

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

My first was either an October Revolution, Red Banner or Red Banner of Labor. I don't know which was actually the first I got (back in 1992) and I may have even bought them all at the same time. Anyway, I've got a pic of the three around here somewhere and would be happy to post it (after scanning!) when I can ever find it!

Dave

My first Soviet piece was a run of the mill Red Star back in 2002, but it's been a favourite of mine ever since. In the 2,000,000 serial range, it was still awarded in WW2. Cost me around $20 on eBay.

Edited by DutchBoy

• 5 months later...

Gentlemen,

my very first Soviet Medal has been "40th Anniversary of Victory ...", military version, which I got as a present from a girl friend in 1992, who bought it at a flea market in Berlin.

Due to the fact, that I got some time before the old Herfurth-book of 1987 "Milit?rische Auszeichnungen der UdSSR" and the small & nice NOVOSTI-booklet of Putnikov about Soviet Awards, I already had some basic knowledge about the subject.

In december 1993 I recogized, that the nice orders & medals, shown in the two books, had rather moderate price tags in the shop windows. At the beginning of january 1994 I started to collect and invested in a few month about USD 10.000,- into Soviet Awards - had been a rather good investment :D .

My first awards - as a collector - have been:

- Lenin, s/n. 180.922, for USD 650,-

- October Revolution, s/n. 24.318, for USD 200,-

- HSL, s/n. 10.852, for USD 700,-

(Prices in 1,4 : 1 relation USD : EUR)

Well, I bought the first 3 orders at rather expensive prices for that days ... :(

Here is a photograph of the very beginning of my modest & humble collection from end of january 1994:

(the shiny RB screwback turned out to be a casted fake :mad: an the RB in front is a #3 with s/n. 8.426 - not a fake :D )

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus