News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a knights cross with swords for the Hohenzollern House Order.

It is stamped on the bottom of the 6 o'clock arm:

S & W .. then there is a quarter moon followed by a crown and 937.

Can someone decipher this for me and hopefully tell me the vintage?

Is there any chance this may be an issued item?

Thanks,

Rod

Guest Rick Research

1916-18. Before that these were GOLD.

This is the classic "penultimate" Prussian officers' award of WW1, and a very close approximation of a WW2 German Cross in Gold as far as what they were generally given out for to most recipients en route to a Pour le Merite.

Hi Rick

I am confused.. Are you saying this is a vintage 1914-1918 or a WW2 item?

I sort of thought the quarter moon and crown marking would establish it as WW1.

Thanks

Rod

When Rick said, "This is the classic "penultimate" Prussian officers' award of WW2...." I think it was a typo. I'm pretty sure he meant to say WW1. :P

Guest Rick Research

Yasssss. That's true. :blush: I slipped my mittens onto the adjoining key there as my train of thought making a comparison with the next war derailed me. :speechless:

But I did start it with dating the silver gilt type "1916-18." I fixed it now. :catjava:

whewwww .... thank you medal.net

I was getting a little nervous!!!

So maybe when the switch was made from gold to silver gilt there was still some older 15 loth

silver in stock that was used before they went to 938.

In any event I am breathing easier. :jumping:

Rod

I hope I am not irritating anyone by beating a dead horse, but I just have to add this:

Given that 16 Loth was 100% silver, 15 Loth would be .9375 (15/16). To round upwards to .938 would not quite be correct in terms of absolutely valuing the metal. The more conservative method would be to use .937 if it had by law to be expressed in thousands. Later the smelters evidently decided to very slightly upgrade to .938 when the 15 Loth stocks were depleted. They could have downgraded to .937. Oh well .... who knows what really happened.

Sorry guys but I do tent to be overly intent with details.

I feel better now!!! :blush:

Rod

Edited by Rod