News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pin variations at Gallipoli Star made by "AWS"

Motorhead

Where are the experts for the Gallipoli Star?-I've bought one in the hope to find a connection between "AWS" and these wonderful iron crosses with the blued sheetmetal core.Unfortunately it seems to be that they are to different.....How many pin variations are known on these award made by "AWS"?

Micha

Guest Rick Research

I am not aware of ANY Turkish War Medal stars marked "AWS."

Also don't know what the Iron Cross pin AWS-style is you mean-- please post a scan of that so we have something to compare with! (The collecting specializations rarely overlap.)

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

I am trying to find the current market price for a perfect AWS marked star in a perfect case. I have already had some comments from a couple of members but I need more help to make a decision. Any of you bought one recently or seen one for sale somewhere so I can compare prices????? Thanks.

Edited by TerryG

I am trying to find the current market price for a perfect AWS marked star in a perfect case. I have already had some comments from a couple of members but I need more help to make a decision. Any of you bought one recently or seen one for sale somewhere so I can compare prices????? Thanks.

You want an insane price? here it is AWS on Ebay

josef

Guest Rick Research

To anticipate Ed :P

Ummmm.... GERMAN pieces made in... ummmmmm GERMANY in the .... ummmmm 1920s .... ummmm BY Germans FOR .... ummmmm Germans who.... ummmmmm virtually certainly never set foot again on anything that had ever been the Ottoman Empire is .... ummmmmm

by no stretch of an overactive imagination THEIR country's "heritage."

ISSUE pieces, sure. Maybe.

But NOT foreign made wearers' copies. :catjava:

Reminds me of the New Russian Money going absolutely gaga over Georgian Orders of Saint/Queen Tamara which NO Georgian ever had/wore/made/SAW.... all made in Germany in 1919 for returned veterans whose authorization paperwork wasn't even Georgian made/issued.

Let's face it:

A lot of people simply have Too Much Money and are unconcerned about paying far more money than things are actually W-O-R-T-H, rationally. :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Does not being able to find one at a reasonable price justify paying an insane price? :rolleyes:

I'm sure there have ALWAYS been people for whom Money Is No Object... we just see them now, globally, in real time....

Me? My home heating oil costs have gone up 400% in 3 years, with no end in sight. THERE'S a Must Have!

"Must have (insert object of desire) at any price" is a sickness.

Prices paid by such people have long driven SPECULATOR/"INVESTOR" prices for everybody else... who is willing to play that game. Dealers sure do love people lining up to pay the unreasonable because "find one cheaper."

That's not how I collect, or why I collect... so I'm immune. :catjava:

Nobody is holding guns to our heads FORCING us to pay insane prices. Can't think of anything that I "want" so badly that I "need" to pay what somebody has decided is THEIR retail Going Rate. PLENTY of OTHER things in the world for Mere Mortals. :rolleyes:

Always remember that no matter how fancy-schmancy, ornately made, or carved out of sterling silver, for the average German recipient, a Turkish War Medal--despite its looks--was nothing more than what a Hindenburg Cross would be.

And I don't see people shelling out 3-figures for a Must Have "Variant" there.

Wise words Rick. As you say, the Turkish Star itself is not a rare award but I wonder how many AWS-marked were manufactured and how many are still in existence? After all, this may be a simple case of very low supply and high demand? Based on the fact that so few can be found, how much would it sell for if it had a swatika?

As has been said above also, it seems that Turkish collectors are indeed prepared to pay a lot for such awards. Looking at the ebay sale, more than one collector obviously thought this was worth the money. I recall turning down a number of BB marked stars which were offered to me in Istanbul a few years ago because I thought the price was too high......it seems that these have now gone up in price in this part of the world also but thanks to a plentifull supply, they are still affordable. I guess collecting is based on personal feelings so it makes it difficult to expect logic to play a great part in all this.....

Edited by TerryG

I don't see TWMs being any different to other awards in the crazy prices they sometimes fetch. Look at the idiotic prices that some people will pay for a Juncker EK1 just because it has an L/12 mark. Its only an EK1, not rare by any standards, and this firm's stuff is usually of mediocre quality - but the presence of that magic L/12 mark sends some folk crazy. Its almost like the fashion fanatics who will pay ridiculous sums of mony for clothing with a "designer" label that intrinsically isn't any better quality than mass produced supermarket labels.

Imperial EK1s ain't any better. Look at the prices some KMST EK1s with fancy fittings fetch. At the end of the day its still just an EK1.

At least the TWM is a visually attractive award, especially the high quality solid silver German made pieces. Not surprising that the rarer types fetch high prices.

Mind you, I still think that the AWS piece referred to on EBay was about twice the price it should have been. :speechless1:

Hi here's my piece made by J Godet & Sohne Berlin, unfortunately the enamel is quite damaged, would it be worth having it repaired?, comes with a red case also

regards

Alex

Hello!

This is new for me,nice to se in this good shape.

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

Hi There ,

I am a dealer in Istanbul - Turkey and I bought the same AWS Star with the original period box for 750 GBP , 20 days ago.

Everything is about demand and suply. It is also about the condition and the box !

But if you want BB.CO , now I can sell anyone for 115 GBP with the ribbon.

Let me give you an example , the market price of the Bronze Medallion , from the visit of London Series ,

Sultan Abdulaziz Visit of London Medallion without the box is 1000 - 1500 USD , 8 months ago the emty

box of Sultan Abdulaziz London Visit Medallion was sold for 1400 USD on ebay from UK, ONLY THE EMPTY BOX ,

the buyer was from USA.

Any way I sold 2 Russian Orders , oth of them was 2nd Type Alexander Nevski for 3200 USD and 3400 USD

before 2 months. Now check it on ebay item number 280220286958 , buy it now price is 7500 , forget about it

, I can not buy the Type 2 Nevski for 5000 USD here in Istanbul which I sold 55 days ago for 3200.

Cheers ,

Avsar

Edited by avsaribar