News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bayonets.... useless things really.....

OK... sometimes a soldier gets to poke someone with one... and a rifle on parade without a bayonet just dont look right....

But are they not as useless as tits on a bull?

Always tripping you up. prodding your nads, getting caught in APC seats etc. etc...

Not only that... they are generally useless for anything.

About the only bayonets that seem to beuseful for anything other than opening tins are the Modern American one and the Finnish Valmet Puuko from the Fiskars company.

Can anyone else think of a bayonet that is useful for anything other than stabbing and parading?

Can anyone else think of a bayonet that is useful for anything other than stabbing and parading

I think cooking etc. if you have to survive in the wildernis as a soldier, you will need somthing to cut branches etc. to make a hut, or for cooking etc.

So it's a knive/survival tool as well as a bajonet.

I think they are very usefull like survival, sneak attacks, out of ammo etc.

• 5 months later...

I think cooking etc. if you have to survive in the wildernis as a soldier, you will need somthing to cut branches etc. to make a hut, or for cooking etc.

So it's a knive/survival tool as well as a bajonet.

I think they are very usefull like survival, sneak attacks, out of ammo etc.

Well I'm with Chris, bayonets are a useless piece of metal, unless you need to open an M.R.E. or throwing into a tree when bored. I would actually hate to be in a survival situation with just a bayonet :speechless::speechless:

and cutting branches??? your better off with a hammer. thats why 99.9% of American troops buy thier own knives for the dirty work :violent:

Eric

I had a Randall No1 for 5 years in the amry, a wonderful knif that could chop wood, slaughter goats and still shave your armhair off.

By contrast, our bayonets were useless bits of crap. No good for cutting, useless for chopping, only good for mounting the gu?rd. admittedly on occasion to poke away a civilian or two that croweded a checkpoint or barrier... but more than that? Nada.

it seems the M9 US bayonet is one of the unly ones worth a damn?

Even the WW1 German Butchers bayonet is useless for chopping....

• 1 month later...

You guys need to think outside the box here...most long blade bayo's make fine watermelon cutters. They can open one up lengthways to the delight of all the kids at the picnic. (This is where I'd put the smillie face but I haven't figured out how to do that yet)

Cheers,

Stu

Is anyone here familiar with the fact that British soldiers seem to be in love with their bayonets? I seem to remember that the Brits had a nasty habit of bayoneting our poor boys during the Revolution, who customarily used their muskets as clubs.

~TS

Is anyone here familiar with the fact that British soldiers seem to be in love with their bayonets? I seem to remember that the Brits had a nasty habit of bayoneting our poor boys during the Revolution, who customarily used their muskets as clubs.

~TS

If thats so they got short changed with the Lee-Enfield Mk 4 bayonet now that really was a piece of crap!

No Handle, just a blade on a short bit with a ring to slip over the barrell. ;)

I will look to see if I can find a picture of the dirty thing :banger:

With regards the Revolution, more combat fatalities would have been inflicted by bayonet as the British troops of the period were taught to charge after firing off a couple of vollys and to rely more on Cold Steel.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

WW2 Spike Bayonet

and Bowie blade bayonet for the No 4 Mk Lee-Enfield.

The lower version was in use with the Irish Defense Force Reserve up until the mid 1980's!!

Then they changed to the F.N. 7.62mm SLR and I believe now they are armed with the

Austrian Styer 5.56mm AUG.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: