News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Insignia

Robin,

fantastic collection by the way

Your post 24 the steel helmet is this for a specific Friekorps unit? Im sure I've seen a photo of Goering wearing a similar helmet was it from his unit?

Foo

Robin,

fantastic collection by the way

Your post 24 the steel helmet is this for a specific Friekorps unit? Im sure I've seen a photo of Goering wearing a similar helmet was it from his unit?

Foo

I have never been able to associate this helmet with a particular unit. In fact, it may not be Freikorps at all, but a helmet of the Brunswick Inf. Rgt. 92, with the company number on the back. All three battalions of this regiment wore the skull throughout WW1. Initially, it had been only the third battalion. It was common for unit emblems to be painted on these steel helmets. What it probably is not, is a helmet of the Hacketau Freikorps, which is usually associated with this TK due to Baer's book.

• 1 year later...

Hello Christophe,

Many thanks for the welcome and the nice comments. We moved to Barbados last spring and our house here is not finished . . . thus, my FK helmets are still packed away in a box somewhere. The photos I have were taken before we moved. Here's a closer look at the insignia . . its the best I can do at this time as I didn't take a closer shot before I packed them up. Thanks again for the comments and post!

Best,

Bill

Edited by Bds Bill

Thanks Bill :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Don't hesitate to show your collection when you will have the time. I know what you mean concerning your collection. i'm in my new house since 4 months and I have only put some items in my room. The others parts of my collection is now in my bank.

Regards

Christophe

It was common for unit emblems to be painted on these steel helmets.

Robin,

Are you saying it was common for unit emblems to be painted on helmets during WWI?

Here's a style of skull that I had not seen before. This cap came out of the woodwork in Kansas. It is marked inside "St.B.XIV" and "B.A.XIII 1916" I've wondered if it is a wartime storm battalion thing or just a postwar Freikorps insignia. Either way the cap was barely worn. Have you seen this style?

Chip

Both nice looking items.........there were countless 'unofficial' skull variations.

Hi guys,

Found another photo of a skull-emblazened helmet in my collection that I thought I would share. As noted above, I can't do any closeups of these until they are unpacked, which is going to be at least several months. This example does not have the large number painted on the rear that Robin's example displays.