News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

whow,

I know that's not really a name, but more a kind of superlative....

I'm wondering what kind of person owned this one!

However, unknown as I'm, it appears a little bit strange to have twice the same grade of the Zahringer l?we 1st class,

one with swords, the other without swords.

But the Roter Adler is a peace time award, 4th class if I'm correct.

appears to be somewhat captain grade??

Kind regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

First of all: a really nice, almost great bar. :rolleyes:

Might get hard to find the wearer: a Major or Oberstleutnant (presumably Regimentskommandeur) with none pre war orders than a BZL3a and REO4. And: he was NOT a Badener! He has the Prussian 1897 medal, but not the 1902 Baden jubilee medal ...

The 3a is real Gold, is the 3aX as well?! Many (or most?) of 3aX people had as well a pre war Z?hringer without swords, but there are three grades they might have: 3b, 3bOL and 3a. This could be the clue, in combination with NO 1902 medal.

Medalnet has a quite similiar, but not matching bar - his from a Badener :blush:

Strange. The BZ3a means he must have been a (not too young) Major in 1914, but he was still Major when he got the BZ3aX. I have found 9 candidates in the 1914 RL, but none of them got the BZ3aX in WW1. Those who got a Z?hringen with X got the BZ3amEX already. Maybe he got his BZ3a immediately before the war, after the 1914 ranklist came out...

... or might the oakleaves be missing?

Edited by webr55

Strange. The BZ3a means he must have been a (not too young) Major in 1914, but he was still Major when he got the BZ3aX. I have found 9 candidates in the 1914 RL, but none of them got the BZ3aX in WW1. Those who got a Z?hringen with X got the BZ3amEX already. Maybe he got his BZ3a immediately before the war, after the 1914 ranklist came out...

... or might the oakleaves be missing?

Hi,

really a nice bar. :cheers:

I would say that it is the bar of M zD Gaupp, LwBez Witten, BdZL 3a, PRAO 4, PDA25 in the ranklist 1914 and he got the BdZL 3a x 02.11.1916.

Werner

Major z.D. Eduard Ernst Gaupp, born 9 September 1851 at Bretten in Baden. originally commissioned into the 5. Baden Infanzerie-Regiment as a Sekonde-Lieutenant on 28.7.70. Entered into Prussian service on 15.7.71 and received a new Patent of seniority of 23.7.70. Promoted Premier-Lieutenant on 15.8.78. Transfered to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 23 on 14.8.84 with promotion to Hauptmann and a company commanders appointment on 11.2.86. Zur Disposition on 16.2.92 and appointed a Bezirksoffizier in Kattowitz. Transfered to Landwehr Bezirk I Bochum (Meldeamt Witten) on 25.3.93 and charakter as Major on 12.9.94. Still there twenty years later!

Regards

Glenn

He had already retired when he received the charakter or brevet rank of Major. Bezirksoffiziere were uniformed retired officers who conducted the business of recruiting, mustering and mobilization etc within a Bezirkskommando. Major Gaupp actually received a Patent as a Major on 22.3.15 as the commanding officer of Landsturm-Bataillon I Bochum.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

"My" Kriegsgerichtsrat Jean Arthur Horchler received this same combination only with an XX as a "simultaneous" reserve officer, so I would think it is probably not a unique combination. The fact that it is a civilian-wear Frackspange suggests a 1920s mounting, so this could also be some sort of other Beamter who did NOT have a dR/dL award. I think a Beamter probably got to this BZ3a/RAO4 peacetime rank level earlier and then stayed at that glass ceiling afterwards.

His Urkunde for the BZ3aX must be in the old Giant Z?hringen Lions thread in the back pages someplace.

Major z.D. Eduard Ernst Gaupp, born 9 September 1851 at Bretten in Baden. originally commissioned into the 5. Baden Infanzerie-Regiment as a Sekonde-Lieutenant on 28.7.70. Entered into Prussian service on 15.7.71 and received a new Patent of seniority of 23.7.70. Promoted Premier-Lieutenant on 15.8.78. Transfered to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 23 on 14.8.84 with promotion to Hauptmann and a company commanders appointment on 11.2.86. Zur Disposition on 16.2.92 and appointed a Bezirksoffizier in Kattowitz. Transfered to Landwehr Bezirk I Bochum (Meldeamt Witten) on 25.3.93 and charakter as Major on 12.9.94. Still there twenty years later!

This person should(!) have gotten the Baden 1902 Jubilee medal - should. ;)

The statute for this medal say among other:

3.den aktiven Offizieren, Sanit?tsoffizieren, Milit?rbeamten und ?lteren Unteroffizieren (

nach mindestens 8-j?hriger Dienstzeit) der badischen Truppentheile des 14. Armeekorps,

ferner denjenigen aktiven Offizieren anderer deutscher Truppenkontinqente, die badische

Staatsangeh?rigkeit besitzen und seiner Zeit in einem badischen Truppentheil des

14.Armeekorps zum Offizier ernannt worden sind; ferner den Offizieren der Kaiserlichen

Marine und der Kolonialtruppen, soweit solche Badener sind, sowie auch denjenigen

ehemals Gro?herzoglich Badischen Offizieren, die sich nicht mehr in Aktivit?t befinden;

He's been born in Bretten/Baden and got officer in a Baden unit!

Guest Rick Research

I don't think they actually did give everybody the 1902 Jubilee medal-- it sure doesn't show up very often in award groups!

I think you may just have to live with the terrible disappointment :cheeky: of having a BZ3aX rarer than a Blue Max! And with it's matching pre-war twin. :love:

I don't think they actually did give everybody the 1902 Jubilee medal-- it sure doesn't show up very often in award groups!

Sure they don't, but we are talking about Baden officers who were 1902 in service! How many groups of Baden officers show up?! :shame:

By the way:

The 1902 was not only awarded to military, but also to many civil persons like Beamte and so. The were struck ca. 30,000 of it, and in my humble opinion it's one of the most common awards from Baden.