News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First SMLE No4 Mark 1*

DavidM

Hello

I have just obtained an SMLE No4 Mark 1* rifle. To comply with UK law the rifle is deactivated. This is the only weapon I have bought, having for many years wanted one the Lee Enfields. This particular rifle is, I believe one of the Savage, USA, manufactured rifles. It comes with the so called 'pig sticker' bayonet.

Here are some photos of it. Any comments or observations welcomed.

Edited by DavidM

Hello David,

Very nice weapon. I've used one of these heavy rifles for hunting many years ago, not with the bayonet of course. If you lug one of these around through the bush for a couple of days you start to get an idea of how tough the WW I and WW II soldgiers must have been. I found myself considering attaching wheels to mine after about an hour! :lol:

Cheers, :cheers:

Brian

Hello

I have also used one these, albeit a few years back now. I found the Lee Enfield to be a robust and accurate rifle. I agree, there is some weight in them. Presumably that's why they when they issued to the troops they always came with a sling. Now imagine using the T version with the telescopic sight mounted, adding an extra 2 - 3 lbs to the weight. :cheers:

Hello

I have also used one these, albeit a few years back now. I found the Lee Enfield to be a robust and accurate rifle. I agree, there is some weight in them. Presumably that's why they when they issued to the troops they always came with a sling. Now imagine using the T version with the telescopic sight mounted, adding an extra 2 - 3 lbs to the weight. :cheers:

After WWII here in Canada, tens of thousands of Lee-Enfields were "sporterized" by havinf most of the forestock removed and a simple blade foresight added, thus dropping the weight by a couple pounds to appeal more to hunters and sports shooters. I expect it worked and there must still be thousands out there in attics, garages and hunting camps.

I agree with Chris! L-E's are cool. Always been my favourite and I owned a couple for years. Also incredibly rugged and widespread. Several years ago now our local paper posted a shot of an Iraqi woman truning in a rifle for food in Baghdad. The caption identified it as some offmake that was "a favourite of Saddam Hussein's" but it was a No.4, mk. 1. Probaly got to Iraq with the Brityish army, or sold by a Bedouin. Great pieces!

Peter

i have to agree with all the above statements. These No4 MkI 's are simply beautiful. Your is a great example to boot. I regret parting with the two I had. One was still packed in the original grease. Oh to have that time back. Now these seem to be quite scarce for anything less than $550.00 CDN