News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for any additional information on this guy, to better flesh out the MKFVO bios.

What I know/think I know:

Promotions:

• Hauptmann from 23.03.01
    • Major from 18.10.12
    • Oberst a.D. in the Ehrenrangliste
    Assignments:
    • 1900 or so: 3./I. Seebataillon, Marine-Infanterie, deutsche Landstreitkr?fte in Ostasien. He sailed on the Wittekind with the Marine-Infanterie expeditionary corps.
    • 1912: Kp.Fhr. 8./GR 110
    • 1914: Stab/GR 110
    • 8.1914: on mobilization, becomes Btl.Fhr. of III./RIR 40
    • ?.1915: to RIR 110
    • ?-end of war: Rgt.Kdr. RIR 110
    Decorations:
    • Milit?rischer Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden on 27 December 1915 as a Major with RIR 110.
    • prewar Prussian Crown Order 4th Class with Swords, Hesse-Darmstadt Order of Philip the Magnanimous Knight 1st Class with Swords, Chinese Order of the Double Dragon 3rd Class 1st Grade, and Russian Order of St. Anne 3rd Class. All of these were probably from the Boxer Rebellion.
    • presumably an EK2 and probably an EK1, given the MKFVO, and also probably a Z?hringen Lion? Maybe commanding a battalion of RIR 40 would also have led to a Princely Hohenzollern House Order?

Below is a picture of officers on the Wittekind cropped from here. Gandenberger von Moisy is in the upper left corner. The larger guy in the middle is Major von Madai, the commander of I. Seebataillon. To Madai's right is Hauptmann Freiherr von Rheinhaben, who would die of typhus in Peking, and to Madai's left is Generalmajor von H?pfner, the Marine-Infanterie expedition commander.

Dave,

his pre-war career.

Wilhelm Valentin Ludwig Gandenberger v. Moisy:

Born 2 November 1868 in Gie?en.

Cadet School at Oranienstein and graduation from Gro?-Lichterfelde as a Sekonde-Lieutenant on 22.3.1887 and assigned to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 111.

1.10.90-1.3.91: Attached to the Milit?r-Turnanstalt.

1.10.91-31.3.92: Instructor at the Potsdam Cadet School.

1.4.92-31.3.95: Assigned to the Pl?n Cadet School.

14.5.1894: Premier-Lieutenant.

22.1.95: Placed on the establisment of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 99.

1.10.95-21.7.1898: War Academy Course.

1.10.98: Assigned to the I. Seebataillon

18.1.01: Hauptmann and company commander

15.10.01: Transfered to Infanterie-Regiment Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm (3. Bad.) Nr. 111.

1.10.02: Placed ? la suite to III. Seebataillon and assigned to the Kiautschou Government and simultaneously until 28.8.03 Town Major of Kiautschou.

20.8.07: Assigned as company commander of 8./Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 110.

10.10.12: Promoted to supernumary Major and assigned to the Regimental Staff of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 110.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks everyone! :beer:

The picture is great and also points me up to a typo on my original list or the trouble of staring too long at little icons on pages. That should be an RAO, not a KO :banger:

But is it just me, or does that look like an RAO3X, not a 4X, notwithstanding what the ranklist says? Maybe just a trick of the lighting.

One of my follow-up questions when I read Glenn's detailed bio was, since he was in Baden service in April 1902, did he get the Jubilee Medal? But the photo appears to have answered that as it looks like that's the last medal on the bar.

Another curiousity: a family website for the Gandenbergers mentions that the son of a Hessian general and commander of the Gro?herzogliches Artilleriekorps, also a Hessian officer, was granted the right to combine the name Gandenberger with that of his wife's family, von Moisy, by the Grand Duke of Hesse. Ludwig's Philip Order from the Boxer Rebellion indicates a continuing Hesse connection. But it seems that almost all of the Gandenbergers von Moisy who served in World War I served in Baden regiments - Ludwig in RIR 40 and RIR 110, another whose first name I don't know in IR 113, and Fritz and Hans in Fu?AR 14 (though Hans was also an observer and Fritz may also have been an aviator). The only outlier was the one in IR 13, a Westphalian regiment, though he had a prewar Z?hringen Lion so presumably also a Baden connection. So the family relocated from Gie?en in Hesse to Baden at some point, but still had enough of a Hesse connection to get Ludwig a Philip Order in China (and Hans a General Honor Decoration for Bravery in WW1).

• 13 years later...

Does anyone know when exactly and where Ludwig died? Thanks!

Von links (erste Reihe): Hauptmann (Captain) Ludwig Gandenberger von Moisy, Gouverneur Kapitän zur See Oskar von Truppel, Adalbert Prinz von Preußen, Stabschef Korvettenkapitän Felix Funke, Kapitän zur See Malte Freiherr von Schimmelmann, Kommandant der SMS „Hertha“ und militärischer Begleiter des Prinzen in Tsingtau, 1904.

Adalbert_Prinz_von_Preußen_(1884–1948)_in_Tsingtau.jpg

On 04/03/2007 at 12:49, Glenn J said:

Dave,

his pre-war career.

Wilhelm Valentin Ludwig Gandenberger v. Moisy:

Born 2 November 1868 in Gie?en.

Cadet School at Oranienstein and graduation from Gro?-Lichterfelde as a Sekonde-Lieutenant on 22.3.1887 and assigned to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 111.

1.10.90-1.3.91: Attached to the Milit?r-Turnanstalt.

1.10.91-31.3.92: Instructor at the Potsdam Cadet School.

1.4.92-31.3.95: Assigned to the Pl?n Cadet School.

14.5.1894: Premier-Lieutenant.

22.1.95: Placed on the establisment of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 99.

1.10.95-21.7.1898: War Academy Course.

1.10.98: Assigned to the I. Seebataillon

18.1.01: Hauptmann and company commander

15.10.01: Transfered to Infanterie-Regiment Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm (3. Bad.) Nr. 111.

1.10.02: Placed ? la suite to III. Seebataillon and assigned to the Kiautschou Government and simultaneously until 28.8.03 Town Major of Kiautschou.

20.8.07: Assigned as company commander of 8./Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 110.

10.10.12: Promoted to supernumary Major and assigned to the Regimental Staff of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 110.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, I have a date for Major: 18.10.1912 ... can that be right? I read, you have 10.10.1912. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Does anyone know when exactly and where Ludwig died? Thanks!

Morning,

Ancestry.de gives a date of death as 16 October 1946. It is not explicit about place of death but his place of burial (Bestattungsort) is Freiburg in Baden.

Major: 18.10.12 E

Regards

Glenn

11 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Morning,

Ancestry.de gives a date of death as 16 October 1946. It is not explicit about place of death but his place of burial (Bestattungsort) is Freiburg in Baden.

Major: 18.10.12 E

Regards

Glenn

Thank you very much, Glenn! I hope I got all decorations (thank you, Dave), but we probably will never know. I think he was promoted to Oberstleutnant within 1918 and retired as Oberst (Charakter) in 1919 oder 1920, but I couldn't find anything precise.

Zentenarmedaille

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse mit Schwertern

Verdienstorden Philipps des Großmütigen, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern (GHVP3a⚔/HP3a⚔)

China-Denkmünze mit zwei Gefechtsspangen

Orden vom Doppelten Drachen, III. Klasse, 1. Stufe bzw. Dritter Grad, I. Klasse (CDIII.1)

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

Regierungs-Jubiläums-Medaille von 1902 (Baden)

Sankt-Annen-Orden, III. Klasse (RA3)

Eisernes Kreuz (1914), II. und I. Klasse

Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Ritter I. Klasse mit Schwertern am 6. Oktober 1914

Militär-Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz am 27. Dezember 1915

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

Edited by Deutschritter