News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moscow would look like this today if ?

Bryan,

These are nicely made. :jumping: But, for the first one (the one taken from the Duma), I'm not sure we could have this,perspective. The Palace of Soviet, in my opinion, shouldn't be visible like this from there...

Cheers.

Ch.

Maybe you are right. I really don't know, but I guess it is not too far from reality.

Do you mean the Palace of the Soviets would not be seen from this angle or that the Palace would appear smaller than that?

As massive as Hitler?s vision of "Germania" :speechless:

Dear Gerd,

I think you can not really compare the artistic quality of Russian Neoclassicism to the way of building in Germany from 1933 to 1944 on.

But you can compare Russian Neoclassicism to the art of building in NYC between the 2 wars: Chrysler-Building, etc.

Russian Neoclassicism is regarded by most of the architectural historians as a genuine and highly interesting style of building in Eastern Europe, as you can see at the large number of publications and beautyful books about this topic.

Concerning the "Palace of Soviets" alone, that is the most comprehensive publication:

http://www.amazon.de/Tyrannei-Sch%C3%B6nen...t/dp/3791313401

Best regards :beer:

Christian

... they had build the Palace of the Soviets.

Dear Bryan,

many thanks for showing these installations to us :beer: .

I haven't seen them before.

Best regards

Christian

BTW: "The Palace of Soviets" as a hughe 7-Star-Hotel with a large museum of Russian History in the centre of the building ;) .

Christian,

i was talking about the dimensions, not the style. Does this not remind you of Hitlers and Speers cold architecture of "Germania" somehow?

Gerd

Dear Gerd,

o.k., regarding the mere dimensions, Stalin's (partly unfinished) Moscow-Project had been as ambitious, as Speer/Hitler's Germania-Project for Berlin :beer: .

For my taste, I can see a strong US-influence in the way of building during the Stalin-times. Which seems logic, because the economic exchange between the USA and CCCP had been very massive (the US built up the complete heavy industry in the CCCP!) between the end of the 1920s and the mid 1930s.

Best regards

Christian

Do you guys have any good architecture books about "Russian Neoclassicism" (Stalinist architecture) to recommend? :unsure:

I'm not only talking about the Palace of Soviets, but a book that cover that period in general.

Do you guys have any good architecture books about "Russian Neoclassicism" (Stalinist architecture) to recommend? :unsure:

I'm not only talking about the Palace of Soviets, but a book that cover that period in general.

Dear Bryan,

you are a lucky guy, because nearly all publications about the architecture of the Stalin-Era are in German language and your German is excellent :D .

The best book, which covers that period in general is the rather large formated book with excellent photographs, published 1992 in Germany, "Stalinistische Architektur". You can get it for EUR 18,- (fair condition) via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.de/Stalinistische-Archit...w/dp/3781403122 .

The publication, which goes historically, scientifically and intellectually most in depth, but more or less focussing at the "Palace of Soviets", is the already mentioned (very) large formated book "Tyrannei des Sch?nen - Architektur der Stalin-Zeit", published 1994 in Germany. You can get one new (!) via Amazon for only EUR 50,- (in the USA used ones are traded in the USD 200,- + region!):

http://www.amazon.de/Tyrannei-Sch%C3%B6nen...t/dp/3791313401 .

With these two beautyful illustrated books you will get a comprehensive overview about that great period - besides the building up of modern NYC between the wars - in architectural history. Both books are sold out for years.

There is another "official" large formated book from the 1940s, published in Moscow, titled "Das neue Moskau", which I have in my library, but I couldn't find it on the market in the www :( .

Another book might be of interest, which had been published in 2002 in Austria: "Das neue Moskau. Die Stadt der Sowjets im Film 1917 - 1941". At Amazon it is offered new for EUR 40,-:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3412...ractive01119-21 .

If you are interested in Soviet Films, it's a fine book, but it stops at the beginning of the GPW :( .

I would recommend to get the first two books as fast as possible - also a good investment for your money ;) .

Christian

Thanks Christian! I will look forward for them and maybe ship them to one of my friend in Germany, so I can pick them up next time I'll be over. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy both of them, but I will for sure look for one. If I could only see them on-line.

I am a fan of Berlin and Moscow architecture. I think Christophe on the forum has a pretty impressive collection of books on these related subjects. :rolleyes:

Ya know... if Putin ever tunes in here and sees this... might give him some ideas. :rolleyes::cheeky:

But in all seriousness, based on pictures and documentaries I've seen, the Soviet sure could build em' big! The monuments they did a tremendous! :speechless1:

Dan :cheers:

Photo with a kind of the Red Area erroneous. In this foreshortening the building would not be visible. The palace should is more to the right. I shall add that Lenin's figure was planned by height of 90 meters. On a palm of Ilyich could make landing the helicopter

Thanks Christian! I will look forward for them and maybe ship them to one of my friend in Germany, so I can pick them up next time I'll be over. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy both of them, but I will for sure look for one. If I could only see them on-line.

I am a fan of Berlin and Moscow architecture. I think Christophe on the forum has a pretty impressive collection of books on these related subjects. :rolleyes:

Dear Bryan,

then the "Stalinistische Architektur" for EUR 18,- might be the first choice :D .

I will scan some pages the next days.

Christian

Dear Bryan,

then the "Stalinistische Architektur" for EUR 18,- might be the first choice :D .

I will scan some pages the next days.

Christian

Dear Bryan,

Gentlemen,

there is also an English version at the market for about USD 80,- (used):

http://www.amazon.com/Stalinist-Architectu...v/dp/1856690164

BTW: The German version for EUR 18,- is much cheaper .... ;)

It is almost impossible to scan a large book about architecture at an ordinary scanner :( . So you can only see parts of the pages ...

Christian

The cover:

Edited by Christian Zulus

Oh yes, I want this book!

Thanks a lot for the scans my friend. I really appreciate. :beer:

Dear Bryan,

many thanks for your interest to that great period of architecture :D .

Have a look at the new quiz-question No. 80 - shouldn't be too difficult ;) .

Christian

Hi Soviet!

I missed this thread as I was travelling! Very interesting pics! Of course one's imagination can never come anywhere close enough to seeing a "photo"!

As many communist images were pulled down in Russia, think of the hassle to pull this down! Maybe it might have even made it to becoming one of the severn new wonders of the world!

Jim :cheers: