News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can scanning old documents be harmful?

Ok... a question I have which maybe someone can answer. A good way of saving information for posterity is of course, to scan the documents in question.

But can scanning actually damage old docments? Of course a single scan is all you need as then you can replicate as many electronic copies as you want without ever having to expose the document itself.... but this once.... when the document is exposed to the bright light of the scanner....... especially if the document is VERY old, say even a couple of hundred years old.

I have never scanned docs myself, always deciding to go for a pic taken with a camera and weaker lighting. I would assume no damage would be caused by the scanner! But I still would like to know!

Anyone?

Jim :cheers:

While any exposure to light is harmful, I doubt we need to worry about the brief exposure that a scanner gives. Compared to xeroxing or framing and exposing to sunlight I doubt the damage is much. It is far better that handling the original on an ongoing basis. Sory of like a chest X-ray: done once is no problem, done many times can cause problems.

While any exposure to light is harmful, I doubt we need to worry about the brief exposure that a scanner gives. Compared to xeroxing or framing and exposing to sunlight I doubt the damage is much. It is far better that handling the original on an ongoing basis. Sory of like a chest X-ray: done once is no problem, done many times can cause problems.

I like the x-ray analogy!!! And I reckon it makes lots of sense. Yes red cross.... Gloves are important even when handling medals, docs, uniforms or anything that can absorb oils. I think many collectors underestimate the importance of this.

Guest Darrell

why epson?

I wouldn't give up my HP for anything

[not even for windows xp]

:rolleyes:

Hehe .. you'd have to ask Rick. I would guess it's because of their robust qualities and their ability to with stand the dusty environment of his dark, dusty, SCAREY :unsure::catjava: ) dungeon .....

I am certain that it is safe to scan old docs. As I understand it now, you can scan many docs held at the National Library and Archives Canada. I know we can photgraph them as I have been doing that now for almost a year. It really makes for a more happy marrage as I am home most nights now by 6:00pm.

Home but still reading the scans/photos Pylon??

Yup, home but still reading. It is a compromise with my wife. She doesn't mind too much what I do at home, as long as I'm there. I get the feeling she doesn't trust me too much on my own.

Currently I am attempting at putting together a nominal roll for the Irish Regiment of Canada. There are no sailing lists or things of the like for the Regiment (least none that have been located) I was asked to put a roll together. Therefore I was spending litereally hours on end at the Archives reviewing every page of the Part II orders. NOW all I do is take a few pictures, load them onto a flash drive and put them on my desktop computer and type them iinto my laptop.

I have found this works quite well.

• 4 weeks later...

done once is no problem, done many times can cause problems.

I think this is the bottom line, correct me if Im wrong but I think the same type of light is emitted from a camera flash as is when the scanner scans a document, and I remember a study awhile back that was in the Newspaper about how the thousands of people taking pictures of the Mona Lisa was causing it to decay at a much faster pace. All the best, Jon

Worst that happens when scanning something old is it might cause the spine of the book to break or you can accidently tear a page from handling it. Scanning is more beneficial as you can scan to a CD and make CDs for others, I will sacrifice most books if I must in order to scan them for posterity! I give the books away to people who are happy to get them with a broken spine or loose pages. I usually keep noth but the master CD disk to make free copies for others. Have contributed more than 300 CDs in which I also pay postage - I also pay to insure and ship scarce and rarer books free to others as I do not care for reimbursement or profit, thats okay for others. Scanning has its hazards nonetheless! I would break down an original U.S. Civil War uniform or kepi to get the pattern to help others, same form scanning old books. I do nothing for personal profit, only to make reference material available!

Worst that happens when scanning something old is it might cause the spine of the book to break or you can accidently tear a page from handling it. Scanning is more beneficial as you can scan to a CD and make CDs for others, I will sacrifice most books if I must in order to scan them for posterity! I give the books away to people who are happy to get them with a broken spine or loose pages. I usually keep noth but the master CD disk to make free copies for others. Have contributed more than 300 CDs in which I also pay postage - I also pay to insure and ship scarce and rarer books free to others as I do not care for reimbursement or profit, thats okay for others. Scanning has its hazards nonetheless! I would break down an original U.S. Civil War uniform or kepi to get the pattern to help others, same form scanning old books. I do nothing for personal profit, only to make reference material available!

Hi hhbooker2.

Although many probably benefit from your goodwill and best intentions, I for one would not completely agree with your above ideas.

Whereas a contemporary book that is still in print can afford to be damaged (wow...did I say that!! :speechless:) it is replacable often at not too high a cost. No loss for humanity even though you will argue that there is no loss at all since the data has been captured. (erm - copyright issues perhaps on contemporary publications)

But when we get to the topic of older books as well as "original U.S. Civil War uniform or kepi ", such items should, IMHO, be treated with a little more respect.

Your argument basically states that the "ends justifies the means" - This may be the case sometimes - but definitely not always.

• 1 month later...

Hi hhbooker2.

(erm - copyright issues perhaps on contemporary publications)

Not if they are for personal usage, bit like transfering old vinyl records to CD so you can preserve the original copy. There is no infringement as long as they are not for sale. I am not sure about handing them on though, I would suspect that despite the fact that there is no profit or payment, you are cutting their sales down, and companies take a dim view of that.

Regards;

Johnsy

Not if they are for personal usage, bit like transfering old vinyl records to CD so you can preserve the original copy. There is no infringement as long as they are not for sale. I am not sure about handing them on though, I would suspect that despite the fact that there is no profit or payment, you are cutting their sales down, and companies take a dim view of that.

Regards;

Johnsy

JOHNSY: The people whom I donate CDs too either don't have the money to buy these items or they wouldn't do so even if they had the money and are not necessarily a loss to the original authors if they are still alive? I have seen my own artwork sold by the people I gave it to, but this is okay with me and if they copy it, that's okay by me too! Mostly I copy militaria ephemera that is no later than 1945, more than 62 years ago. I never copy anything belonging to the Walt Disney Co., nor any other outfits who keep their copyrights up to date. Government publications are "Public Domain," of course! I'm a pensioneer collecting Social Security and not long for this world and like to pass on what I have to offer to others before I "buy the farm!" Not sure I'd have the skill to transfer vinvyl records to CD? I just6 copied two 1939 and one 1937 Army of the United States recruiting brochures. Have considered giving the origi9nals to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard in Wasgington, D.C.! :Cat-Scratch: (POST SCRIPT: My cat of six years had cancer that caused his internal organs to malfunction and we had to have poor Clovis euthenized, next day we rescued a look-alike 4-year old orange tabby from the animal shleter, he was soon to be put down there and the staff were thrilled we gave him a second chance, he is now Clovis Lee Booker II, named in honour of the first Clovis Lee Booker, he really is a nice cat and so living. The first Clovis was cremated and hopefully my widow will mix our ashes together.) :catjava:

• 2 weeks later...

while it is generally safe to copy things printed prior to 1929, after that date things change, and may be protected. It is not legal to copy a whole copyrighted book for personal use EVER. The fair use provision has ALWAYS been for sections and educational use - copying and giving to others violates this - basically you've got to do it yourself, for yourself.

As for government publications, certainly not all are public domain.

Be carefull, avoid theft.