News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross 1939 I Class.

Hallo Gents :cheers:

any comments on this item, its posted at WW2.ro and the owner is trying to id if its the real deal.

Many thanks for any comments or thoughts.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hello Kevin,

While EK1's are not really my area, I may be well off the mark here but I wondered if you know if it is a 3 piece cross? I ask because it looks very like this one piece fake (especially the hinge, pin and clasp on the back). I cannot tell from your pictures but it looks like it may have the same '800' mark on the pin too.

It may just be the lighting, but the paint on the core where it meets the frame looks odd too, also suggesting a one piece. The spacing of the beading at 8 o'clock looks irregular too, IMO.

If this one is genuine, which I doubt, it means that my fake is a very good one, in that they look so alike!!

Regards - Danny

(Apologies for not having a straight on photograph - I tried to get an angle shot to show the same lighting where the core meets the frame - see the arm above the swastika.)

Danny,

I would have to agree with you seeing the comparison presented before me. It looks to be a one piece Kev. In the first picture in the upper left please draw your attention to the paint of the core towards the left arm of the cross.. It looks as though it was applied after the one piece cross was manufactured and looks as though it forms a seal on the arm. Just my observation of course.

Regards,

Joel

Hallo Danny & Joel :beer:

many thanks for your comments gentlemen, hopefully we get some more imput, I know there are alot of fake iii Reich pieces coming out of Russia and Ukraine into Romania.

Kevin in Deva :beer: (another 18? C today, wheres me sun-glasses :P )

• 2 weeks later...

guess i hadn't thought about it much,

but were TR made EK's stamped with

800? i know that some replacement

'14's carried the 800 stamp.

and perhaps some of the earlier '39's.

so there are some instances where it

was present, but i would imagine nottoo common.

any thoughts?

joe

Hi Ken,

Although there are a very few 800 marked apparently genuine 1939 EK1s, I do not think this is one of them. I think a straight on shot of the reverse of the cross - with the pin DOWN/CLOSED - will reveal this to be an Eastern European fake. The wide tapering pin of these one-piece fakes is distinctive.

Regards

Mike

From what I understand there are not any EK1 or 2's stamped 800 in the 39 series other than Knight's crosses.

Actually, some crosses made in the 20's have a silver content mark, i.e. (800). These are very rare, but they do exist.

Yes, but I was talking about the 1939 series. Any crosses from the 20's would be from the 1914 series or earlier.

You are right, duh!!! I misread what you had said. I was thinking transitional crosses. I guess I'm not all here today, sorry. :banger: