News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zivilverteidigung (Civil Defense)

Flag of the DDR Civil Defense from 1979 to 1990 (prior to that they used the Police flag) (graphic from FOTW: Flags of the World website).

Hi all,

Well, didn't intend for it to happen but seems now I'll have to keep my eye out for Civil Defense items. First I managed to get this bar:

Edited by Hauptman

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The civil defense uniform is AWESOME!!!! I still dont have one(I do have a nice summer tunic).

Hi Paul,

Many thanks my friend! :jumping::jumping: I was praying I could manage this one and luckily I got it within my budget range this time around. I absolutely love the colors of the waffenfarbe and cuff title on these but it's the first I've been able to get. I'll eventually need the pants and the peaked cap for it.

Do you happen to know if they wore a brocade dress belt and if so which one? I'm not aware of a special one. How about dress cords? Dagger? All for parades and ceremonies of course... just had no idea if they did or not. Also do you know if they had the special double breasted ceremonial uniform tunic for parties and such? Also what color shirt and tie would be used with these?

None of my refs (not many to begin with!) cover ZV uniforms so I'm just kinda lost in this area. But this is one I'd definitely like to display on one of my torsos till I can get a full sized manaquin down the road.

I have yet to get any of the brocade belts but figure I need to get one/some before too much longer. Same with the dress daggers. Hopefully before too long things will work out where I can manage some. I love a fully dressed out uniform.

Again many thanks for your compliment. Sure hope you manage to get one soon as they are "nice"! :love:

Hoping you and your family have had a terrific Easter holiday by the way! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

The way I remember things(and it was some time ago when I read this), these uniforms were worn by Army personnel assigned to Civil Defense units. They would wear the Army brocade belt.

Regards

Paul

The way I remember things(and it was some time ago when I read this), these uniforms were worn by Army personnel assigned to Civil Defense units. They would wear the Army brocade belt.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks on that! :beer::jumping::jumping: I'll really have to be on the lookout for one as I'd love to present this one in all it's glory. I take it then that at other times they'd wear the standard brown officers belt? Those I have so I'm in good shape there.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks on that! :beer::jumping::jumping: I'll really have to be on the lookout for one as I'd love to present this one in all it's glory. I take it then that at other times they'd wear the standard brown officers belt? Those I have so I'm in good shape there.

That is correct!!! An Army service belt would be perfect!!!

Paul

Hi Dan,

A realy nice collection of civil defense peices :love::jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Many thanks my friend! Sure hope I'm able to pic up a bit more for this area of my DDR collection. I can't wait till the uniform gets here... she sure looks like a beaut! I'm dying to put it on one of my torso's for display. Hoping against hope to get a nice brocade belt to go with it soon. :beer:

Hi Ed,

Terrific set in a fantastic group! :jumping::jumping:

I need to get the gold to finish off the set in my medal bar and then I'll need to concentrate on the Verdienstmedaille der Zivilverteidigung set. I love those ribbon colors! :love:

Hi all,

Well, the tunic and cap arrived Saturday morning! Lightning fast delivery via Priority Mail from Germany after being shipped out Tuesday! :speechless1: I only wish we could get service that fast here in the states. PM is pretty good here but this was just extraordinary! :D The seller works for the Army over there so I can only think they have something special going to get things out mucho quick! Either way my hats off to them! :cheers:

I've popped it up on a torso for display. I've used a standard Army officers cap and I'm wondering if that's perhaps not what they actually used. The piping on the cuffs and collars is in white so it makes sense.

I'm hoping to get a brocade dress belt very soon and once I have that I'll pop that on in place of the brown officers belt and will pop on the officers dress cords. Then all I'll need is the army dagger whenever I'm able to acquire one of those and then, finally the original shirt, tie and pants.

With no further ado:

On the side cap... wouldn't an officers have had piping? This one is plain with just the DDR insignia on the front.

Edited by Hauptman

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 months later...

Here is one of my uniforms. Unfortunately, I only have two light weight tunics. I am in the process of spring cleaning/reorganizing in my basement and I will share the other once I get to it.

A few people will have something negative to say about the CT being on the summer uniform. All I can say is that the wear and attachment thread is the same on both the litzen and the CT. I believe that the shoulder boards were added recently. The tunic is very heavily worn. The fabric on the CT is worn very thin in spots. Notice the similar wear on the litzen(especially on the corners). With CT wear rules aside, there are some very uncontroversial attributes present here...

Either there were unknown uniform regs for the Civil Defense or they just were not followed. Regardless, all insignia except the boards are very heavily worn... on the tunic.