News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana

Hi,

Are there any collectors of Italian orders out there who could clear this up for me?

When did the Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana change from the old version to the new version? i.e. which year?

My dad was awarded one but only received the certificate (we think his family in Italy lost the medal). Trying to figure out which type he would have been given - so far the local Italian consul has been no help at all :/

Also if anyone knows who I could write to or email that would be great too.

The old one:

IT160e.jpg

The current one:

nastrog.jpg

Thanks,

Marco

Some info on the Order:

(IN ITALIAN) http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordine_al_Mer...bblica_Italiana

Check

http://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/cappello/omri.htm for more info on the current order instituted in 1951

and the actual law establishing this Order.

http://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/fonti...leggeomri1.html

What I cannot figure out conclusively is whether the order was instituted earlier than 1951 which I think it was. If so, I would think that the order itself was changed in 1951 together with the new provisions for this Order.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Jim :cheers:

Hello Marco & Jim,

As far as I can gather, the order was originally instituted in March 1951, replacing the Annunziata, Maurizio & Lazzaro and Crown orders. The second type replaced the 1951 model on 30 March 2001.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Marco & Jim,

As far as I can gather, the order was originally instituted in March 1951, replacing the Annunziata, Maurizio & Lazzaro and Crown orders. The second type replaced the 1951 model on 30 March 2001.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hendrik is right. I do not know what made Italian legislators change the design of one of the most original and neat European orders. Anyway, the new design shows closer resemblance to the Order of the Crown of Italy.

Marco has put forward an interesting point: what to do when the form of an award has changed and a former awardee needs a replacement copy.

Marco, you can try your luck and write to the Cnancellery of the President of the Republic. You may try this address:

https://servizi.quirinale.it/webmail/

Best regards,

Lukasz

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

As my dad's one was awarded in the 80s, I now know for certain that it must be the earlier type he was awarded. As mentioned, I've got the certificate and the letter from the consul, and luckily I have found a website with one of the old type for sale. Probably easier all round if I buy that one - I'm assuming they weren't named or numbered in any way?

Thanks again!

Marco

Which explains why I only managed to get as far back as 1951. Is there any known reason why the design of the order was changed and if so, was it the only italian order to be revamped in 2001?

Hi Jim,

It was the grade of Cavaliere (Knight)

Thanks,

Marco

Marco,

Which grade of the order was bestowed on your father? I might be able to send you a link or two by PM in the case of officer or commander if that helps.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by Marco Gollino

I do not know what made Italian legislators change the design

Lukasz :

Don't know that either but maybe they wanted to get rid of the crown in the suspension ? Too royal for a republic ... :unsure:

Mario :

Unnamed and unnumbered is right :D

JimZ :

Don't think they had any orders left by then to revamp :lol:

Cheers,

Hendrik

Concerning the crown,

there is no republical undertone to this crown, it's the so called Mural-Crown (in dutch: steden-Kroon)

A mural crown has absolutely nothing to do with a kingdom!

Kind regards,

Jacky

As far as I know a closed crown is also used by the Kingdon of Italy. The first case that comes to my mind is the ensign of the Regia Militare which used the following ensign up to 1946

Ever since 1946 (and I believe I can say up to date), the Marina Militare still uses a mural-crown on its ensign

I believe that the former crown would, if anything have undertones of Royalty. But as far as the republic goes the mural crown has been in use ever since the birth of the republic in '46.

Edited by JimZ

The mural crown is still extensively used in the Italian Republic, for example to denote ranks form Major to Colonel in the Italian Army:

italy-army-shoulder_22.gif

We still do not know what made the Italians alter the insignia of the order. Prehaps some Italian colleague on this forum did keep an eye on the work of the Italian Parliament when the issue was being discussed.

Lukasz

Hi Jim,

It was the grade of Cavaliere (Knight)

Thanks,

Marco

Its a pity that the ones for grab are different ranks - the medal for the officer class is gilt nor silver and the ribbon has a rosette. But in anycase its a question of biding your time. I agree that it is indeed probably faster to buy someone else's order than get tangled up in Italian bureacracy!! After all, its the award documents that are personalised and not the award itself!

Now to Luckasz question....

We still do not know what made the Italians alter the insignia of the order. Prehaps some Italian colleague on this forum did keep an eye on the work of the Italian Parliament when the issue was being discussed.

Anyone?

Jim

Very well done Marco!!! Glad to see that the order arrived safely and that it has been matched with its certificate!!!

Perhaps it would look great framed alongside the certificate if you'd like to proudly display your father's award!!!!

Take care.

• 3 months later...
    Supposedly, the 2001 insignia change was motivated by the then President CIAMPI's personal obsession with the Order of the Crown of Italy. The President's bureau promulgated the change. President Carlo Azeglio CIAMPI may have been granted the Order of the Crown before 1943 and certainly was repeatedly seen in public with the pretender to the throne. I do not know if this resulted in his being awarded the Order of Sts. Maurice & Lazarus by the pretender. Edited by 922F

Second type insignia is begining to appear in the market. FJP auctions had a knight's or officer's badge last year and an eBay vendor offered a cased Grand Commander set last month.

• 6 years later...

President Ciampi was the beginner of other changes in the Italian awards and logos. For example, he wanted the change of the Italian Olympic Committee from this

old_coni.jpg

to this

new_coni.jpg

The new President of Coni, whose name is Malago', declared that he would change it again because he does not like the current logo.

Just to return to the argument of the OMRI, I propose here my items, all of the first version.

Knight with its diploma:

297.jpg

365.jpg