News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Medals and Medalbars

The set of Major-General Nico Tack. A highly decorated Dutch War veteran including WW2, the Dutch Indies and Korea.

I met him in person in the eighties. A gentleman. Sadly he passed away a few years back.

Genm Nico Tack-1.jpg

Edited by Herman

• 11 months later...

This is the medalbar of Lieutenant-General Edward van Hootegem. This bar is in my collection.

The general earned a Dutch Bronze Cross (bravery award, second from left in the bar) for his escape as a Lieutenant and German Prisoner of War during a train movement between two prison Camps in January 1944. Several Dutch prisoners escaped during this journey. Some were caught and shot, Some were caught and returned to the new camp. Nine officers reached freedom after a long and tiring journey through central Europe. Via Odessa in the USSR they reached the UK in May 1945.

After WW2 he served from 1951 to 1952 as a bataillon commander, as Lieutenant-colonel and Colonel he was Director of the Dutch War College (HKS) from 1952 to 1955. From 1962 to 1964 as a Major-general he was commander of the 1st Division ‘7 december’.

His last position was commander of the Dutch 1st Army Corps from 1964 to 1967.

Edward was born on March 13, 1907 and passed away on June 7th, 1996

The second picture is from 1965 as Corps commander. The third picture is his mugshot from May 1942 when he became a German POW.

regards

Herman

IMG_8595.jpeg

839a6775-917c-4c18-9cf8-914da6788575.jpeg

Hootegem POW.jpeg

Edited by Herman

this are pristine looking medal bars, very fine

what is the last one on van Hootegem bar?

Edited by xxx

Wonderful group, Congratulations!  Hootegem had the 25 year long service cross [?] and received the short-lived French Order of Civil Merit [1957-63] officer class; do you know the circumstances for the last?  

Hello 922F, from 1958 to 1964 the Dutch Army did its large Division scale exercises in France. Those exercises lasted several weeks. During the exercises several civic projects for the French population were done. This resulted in some awards of the Ordre du Merite Civil de l’Interieur to Dutch officers. I only found three officers sofar.
    General Edward van Hootegem received Royal approval to wear this order on his uniform on November 18th,1965, however I have an earlier picture from 1964 in which the ribbon is present in his ribbonset. As the Order was abolished in 1963, I guess he got it in 1962 of 1963 when he was Division commander.

Furthermore he was made honorary citizen of the village La Courtine in september 1964.

In December 1966 he received the 35 years long service award for his Officerscross. He retired January 1st, 1968.

regards

Herman

Edited by Herman

Thank you Herman!  I could see just the XV on Hootegem's long service cross; rest obscured by his Oorlogsherinneringskruis.  Suspected it might be 35 years but not certain.   

Hi 922F, his officerscross in the set is that of 15 (XV) years. He never changed the (removable) number. This happened quite a lot.

regards

Herman

Hello Herman,

Thank you for this news!  When did the removable years of service numbers for long service crosses begin to be used?  Peter Mulder once told me that was around 1910 or after 1915-17 or so.  This was to make manufacture easier and possibly enable officers to update their cross without having to remove it from their bar.  I would like to know if that's accurate.. 

Best regards, EJ    

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

The Officers Longe Service award was instituted in 1844 as a brooch (broach).

From december 1866 it was changed to a cross with a removable center. From that year it was technically possible to change the center. If this was actually done from then I don’t know. I knew Peter Mulder also. (He died a few years back). He had a lot of knowledge about Dutch ODM, so it is possible that around 1910 this changing became a habit.

Below 3 pictures. The first is the brooch used from 1844 to 1865, the second is the type used from 1866 and the third as it is awarded nowadays each year on December 6. This so called Prussian style of the ribbon started from 1913.

regards

Herman 

Screenshot_2022-01-23-20-50-49-1.png

In collectie Bronbeek.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

922F, herewith a picture of another modern medalset belonging a guy I personally know very well. In fact I wear this set occasionally on my uniform. 😊

In 2021 I changed the figure XXX for XXXV on the Officerscross and hopefully will change it in 2026 for XL. 
    Enjoy.

regards

Herman

IMG_2673.jpeg

Brilliant decorations of a highly distinguished officer and gentleman, I know!  Thank you for sharing your award bar and wishing for an addition or three even before 2026... 

• 1 month later...