News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Medals and Medalbars

Hello Chris,

This is a really nice bar, but to help you:

1) Knight Orange Nassau with swords, in general for merit, but then also for long service, the swords denote the military merit/long service.

2) Knight wendic Crown

3) Knight of the Griffiondor

4) ? Knight order of Merit Meckelenburg?

5) Silver medal of the marriage Hendrick von Meckelenburg

6) Can't see it too clearly, thought first a bronze medal of the same, which would be impossible, but the person on the background appears to be a queen too, can I have a picture of the whole medal?? Thanks in advance

7) Long service cross for... suprisingly.. Long service, the cross was awarded after 15 years (wartime doubled itself) with the numeral XV, every 5 years an officer could get/buy a new one and rise it every time with V -> XV, XX, XXV, XXX, XXXV, XL which is the highest I have seen.

This one appears to be XXV as the XV are quite on the right of the plaque, thus little guess XXV.

Edited by Jacky

What a FANTASTIC bar :cheers:

What is the long service (how many years ?)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

He has a 25 years long service medal, I suspect he could have a exchanged for a longer service at his own expense. Interesting to note both Generals received the same class of Orange -Nassau w/ swords.

Sincerely

Yankee

Hello Chris,

This is a really nice bar, but to help you:

1) Knight Orange Nassau with swords, in general for merit, but then also for long service, the swords denote the military merit/long service.

2) Knight wendic Crown

3) Knight of the Griffiondor

4) ? Knight order of Merit Meckelenburg?

5) Silver medal of the marriage Hendrick von Meckelenburg

6) Can't see it too clearly, thought first a bronze medal of the same, which would be impossible, but the person on the background appears to be a queen too, can I have a picture of the whole medal?? Thanks in advance

7) Long service cross for... suprisingly.. Long service, the cross was awarded after 15 years (wartime doubled itself) with the numeral XV, every 5 years an officer could get/buy a new one and rise it every time with V -> XV, XX, XXV, XXX, XXXV, XL which is the highest I have seen.

This one appears to be XXV as the XV are quite on the right of the plaque, thus little guess XXV.

Hi Jacky

The bronze medal is the 1898 Inauguration of Queen Wilhelmina. The obverse does look like the wedding medal of 1901 however the reverse are totally different in design.

Sincerrely

Yankee

Hi Mark

He has a 25 years long service medal, I suspect he could have a exchanged for a longer service at his own expense. Interesting to note both Generals received the same class of Orange -Nassau w/ swords.

Sincerely

Yankee

Is your Orange/Nassau Officer or Knight... The one on my bar is Officer (gold with rossette).....

Cheers

Mark

Is your Orange/Nassau Officer or Knight... The one on my bar is Officer (gold with rossette).....

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

My apologies, didn't catch the rosette, certainly yours is a 3rd class. Mine is of silver except the center being of gold. Certainly your gold crown also indicates that too. I think some of the early 3rd class ones were made entirely of gold & later ones in silver gilt. Can anybody tell me when the order of Orange-Nassau was abolished. The Jonkheer received his knight in 1898.

Some nice images in an area where I, for one, wish I knew more. Now I do!

Thanks for posting these. And, by extension, special thanks to all the owners of all the images for allowing you to post their images.

Great bar But where is the rest of this "Dutch Medalbars found online" topic posted by me a few days ago?

Do you own this bar?

Oh, oops, hadn't noticed this, "HG". Maybe I need to forget what I learned??

:rolleyes:

Did you delete it :) ? Or what do you mean?

I deleted nothing. I do not have that power in all but a few fora (where I'd not delete things anyway).

Normally, I read new posts and had not noticed the missing posts until you mentioned it. When I read them, they were there. (Sorry if that is stupidly obvious.)

A mystery to me.

However, had the images been "borrowed" without permission, I can understand the deletions, especially if there'd been complaints.

Great bar But where is the rest of this "Dutch Medalbars found online" topic posted by me a few days ago?

Do you own this bar?

Hi Herr General

There is a second bar to this man that I do not know where it is, that would have been worn on special occasions, ceremonies and such. There are several German States & Persian order on that other bar, just hope it was not broken apart. As you can imagine it would be neat to unite both bars again or even to see a picture :D would be great.

Sincerely

Yankee

I deleted nothing. I do not have that power in all but a few fora (where I'd not delete things anyway).

Normally, I read new posts and had not noticed the missing posts until you mentioned it. When I read them, they were there. (Sorry if that is stupidly obvious.)

A mystery to me.

However, had the images been "borrowed" without permission, I can understand the deletions, especially if there'd been complaints.

Hi Ed

Hope I didn't do something silly and cause a problem

Did you delete it :) ? Or what do you mean?

-edit- found it, http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17591

I thin Yankee hit the new Topic button instead off the add reply!

Yankee, May we now the name of this Jonkheer?

Certainly his name ( long one )Jonkheer Cornelis Lubertus van Suchtelan van de Haare. He was an Aide-de-Camp to William lll ( couple of months ), Aide-de-Camp to Queen Wilhelmina & later Aide- de-Camp to Duke Hendrik of Mecklenburg which explains all his knights badges he had received.

Sincerely

Yankee

didn't catch the rosette, certainly yours is a 3rd class. Mine is of silver except the center being of gold. Certainly your gold crown also indicates that too. I think some of the early 3rd class ones were made entirely of gold & later ones in silver gilt. Can anybody tell me when the order of Orange-Nassau was abolished. The Jonkheer received his knight in 1898.

Just a quick remark:

the officers class are the 4th class of this order, the 3rd class is the Commander.

And also, I thought that the orders were made for a very very short lifespan in real gold, and they quickly swifted to silver gilt.

The order of Orange nassau is never abolished, it's still the most awarded civil order in the netherlands. However, the regulations were reviewed in 1994 and almost all automatism and double awarding (together with the order of the netherlands lion) had been removed.

But besides this all, very nice bar!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

I already thought that it was "van suchtelen van de Haare"

Generaal Jonkheer Cornelis Lubertus van Suchtelen van de Haare

Born 25 september 1960

Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion

Officer in the House Order of Oranje Nassau

Commandeur in the Order of The Oaken Crown from Luxemburg

Honour Cross third casse of Lippe

Honour Cross second classe of Swarzburg

Knight first classe in the Order of Frederik of Wurtenberg

Knight in the Order of The Griffiondor of Mecklenburg

Officer in the Order of Hendrik the Lion of Brunswick

Officers Honour Cross from Schaumburg Lippe

Knight in the Order of the Crown of Italy

Knight second classe in the Order of the Crown of Prussia

Commandeur in the Order of Leopold II from Belgium

Officer of the Legioen of Honour from France

Officer in the Order of the Lion and the Sun of Persia

Knight in the Order of Peter Frederik Lodewijk of Oldenburg

Knight in the Order of the Red Eagle of Prussia

Grandcross in the Order of the Star of Romania

Order of Merit third classe from Waldeck Pyrmont

Knight in the Order of the Wendic Crown of mecklenburg

Knight first classe in the Order of the White Falcon of Saksen Weimar Eisenach

Knight third classe in the Order of the Iron Crown of Austria

He received the above awards al before the age of 80. I think that this is a bar he used at one time. Not his first bar in a set of two. As a servant of the Royal Court he would have placed his House Order in the first bar....