News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-Combattant EK2 second award?

I know this has been debated before as to whether a guy that earned the EK2 in WW1 and then received another one in WW2 would get a repition clasp but I think that would only apply if he got his second EK2 in for bravery or at the front etc... which was the requirement. I think the pool of guys that earned the EK2 NC (10-13000) in WW1 would have been pretty old and pretty slim for earning one in WW2. Age and occupation alone would have kept most out of the front lines or at home. Since I've only seen a few NC EKs sporting a clasp and never on a medal bar I think my above suposition must ring true. This doesn't mean that guys serving at the homefront weren't elegible for recognition though, just not an EK. The WMC series was instituted to preserve the EK as a soldiers award. A civilian or civil servant would have gotten one of these, either with or without swords depending upon the circumstances of the earning. At least this is what I have always thought. And finally I have proof of sorts:

Drum roll please, and Chris, no drooling.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce you yo the closest thing you will ever see in a second award of an NC EK2-

EK2 with white/black ribbon and corresponding HC for war supporter, civil servant 25 year. Any thoughts on what type of person he may have been?

My theory, and noone has really challenged it.....

The white ribbon was awarded WITHIN Germany, NOT to non combattants outside of germany.

Then...

I had a doc group... KVK2 with swords, KVK2 without swords, KVM.

The KVK with swords for bravery in an airraid, the KVK wo swords for service as a Blockleiter, the KVM for work as a locksmith.

Soooooo.... the possibilities are endless with the bar.... an Official in a factory (or similar) in WW1... bravery in an airraid for the KVK with swords....

Whatever... a niiiiiiice group!

no-this guy was in uniform in WW1. The HK shows that. he was a homefront lad. Note the lack of LS medals and state awards -but a civil LS medal. Says "technical/professional" officer type to me. The sort of thing a navy engineer/architect working at the shipyard in Kiel might have had.

Guest Rick Research

Absolutely FABULOUS medal bar-- a drool-jewel! :love::jumping::cheers:

The combination of a stay at home "white-black" EK, Noncombatnat Hindenburg, and KVK2X is exactly what my Sprungmann group has-- posted in the back pages. Sprungmann was a young army NCO office clerk in WW1 and got the swords to his KVK2 for the Hamburg fire storm raid (saving the Reichsbank building from burning up).

What you have there is a military noncombatant in WW1 and a "combatant" civilian in WW2!!!!

The combatant foreign commemoratives are in the normal waffle zone. Often incorrectly applied for and so incorrectly worn. He simply put in for them based on his military title, which sounded like a combatant--so that's what they sent him. Doesn't detract from the bar in the least.

Thanks for the comments guys. It is not every day that both Chris and the Good Rick are wowed. This bar was on the estand for over 24 hours when I came across it, and at a very decent price. Some days you just get lucky.

It is not every day that both Chris and the Good Rick are wowed.

Rick is wowed every day he wakes up and realise "they" did not come to take him away while he slept... and after having just spent over 2 weeks killing time at a hotel in Medellin where every day at the pool I got to see women of the upper class laying around sunning themselves in the final stages of recovering from boob jobs (for which medellin is pretty well known) its not some tin and cloth that is going to WOW! me .... ;-)

But on a medal level its nothing I would sniff at ;-).... good man! Proud to know someone who owns a bar like that!!

I just got lucky on a white ribboned set today :-))))))

I just got lucky on a white ribboned set today :-))))))

I hope you get the ehrenkreuz too.

Were a bit unhappy for losing it , so i hope you will get it up on the kaiserscross and give the man behind the cross the attention he has deserved for 90 years.