News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New wedding photos! :) Need help on identifying the eagle in the first one

Hey all got these as a graduation present to myself :D. I do need help identifying the eagle the gent is wearing in this first picture. I also see that he has a cuff title, is there anyway to see what the eagle represents and then look at a database of the squadrons who wore the same eagle? TIA and all the best, Jon

Thanks Mr. Terry I meant the cuff title though on the Gent in the first picture, I believe what the others are wearing were called Trade Patches in which you are correct they are technical flight personel.

But Im trying to find out what eagle the gent in the first picture is wearing on his left breast. TIA and all the best, Jon

The wing in the first photo looks Italian to me as well. The cuff title looks to have white border stripes (?) which could be "Herman Goring" (hard to tell for certain). The white-top hats are the summer wear type (I think 'Tropical' hats would be the tan variety).

Great photos.

Scott

(photo credit: J. Temple-West)

Edited by Scott

It does indeed have white border stripes! Wow thats awsome :), how would one in the H.G. earn the Italian wings?

Also here is an extreme close up, you can just make out the shape of the head so I do believe it is Italian! :).

And obviously with Mr. Pauls informative article on the H.G. this picture would have been taken 1943 or beyond correct? Since thats when they got rid of the white tabs with colored piping and just made the tabs have full waffenfarbe color.

scan0005lp5.jpg

Thank you guys soo much for your help!!! :)

TIA and all the best, Jon

Edited by Luftwaffe Rules

Jon,

Can you post another shot zoomed-in on the cuff title area? Herman Goring was only a guess on my part. IMO, the photo is earlier than 1943, perhaps pre-Sep 39: he's a jr NCO and is only wearing a sport badge and not a single ribbon (of course anything is possible).

Scott

I understand, heres the best I could do, the photo isnt very showing or clear as far as the eagle or the cuff title goes. It appears though to be the block lettering used on the H.G. cuff titles. Doesnt appear to be the Suterland Script (spl?).

Thank you guys for the comments! Also what did a Luftwaffe personnel have to do to earn Italian wings?

TIA and All the best, Jon

Edited by Luftwaffe Rules

Thanks Jon - that does look like an HG cuff title. As for the wings, the person may have attended an Italian pilot training course, or may have been awarded them as an honorary member of, or advisor to an Italian flying unit.

Scott

Edited by Scott