News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 404
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mametz...

..yes, it's paper....and in not bad condition considering it is probably about 70+ years old !

...also just received a very nice 'Efoplast' tinnie...but I'm waiting for the weekend to photo it....to try and get some good daylight pictures...

Hi Brooks,

I also have that Meissen-made 'Dresden' disc....it's about 50mm dia...I'm not sure that it was a 'tinnie' as such...maybe more of a 'I was there' type of thing...either way, I was glad to buy it...a great piece with that bold looking SA motif...

...I do know that there were smaller Meissen discs, about 37mm dia, which were worn with the aid of a brass like clip attachment....I posted a couple of mine a few pages ago....

...it really is amazing the amount of material used in making 'tinnies'...

...and as nice as your 'Autobahn' items are, do they belong in the SA tinnie database ???

I conceed that your 8 years of collecting have certainly brought you some amazing finds...I'm a relative newcomer to this field...only one year so far...

...please keep sharing what you've found !

Edited by Claymore

Thanks for the kind words and information as well as the "heads up" on the mis-post. I have corrected it and will re-post in the proper thread. I guess that I forgot where I was. By the way, I still consider myself a Newbe to this "sport". ;-) I learn something new here every day. I love this site. I don't know how I've missed finding it for so long.

...nice Salzburg 1939 tinnie...most others I've seen have completely lost the 'frosted' look that yours retains...

...I did once upon a time see the official printed program for that event...but I don't collect such things myself....I'd rather reserve my 'fighting chest' for the collecting of SA tinnies...

This site is steadily growing...the tinnie section has a rather small hard-core of collectors and contributors...some, like you, collect all types of tinnies...one or two target one branch, i.e, me with SA...another guy with HJ....

...either way...there's no point in having these items to just lock them away...it's nice to brag (I mean share!) what we have found...

...I think the collecting of tinnies is steadily increasing every year....so what we now each own will one day become highly sought after by the collectors of the future...

...there are other 'militaria' forums which feature tinnies...some with more than what is found on GMIC....but here it's not about quantity...it's about a 'gentlemanly' interest...a chance to show our collection to other interested parties in a refined manner.....

...thanks Brooks...

...I do like tinnies made of 'Nitroplast' & 'Efoplast'....the range of colours used helps to make them stand out against the standard tin variants...

...I guess from a preference point of view...I rate plastic, then Efo/Nitroplast tinnies, both over tin 'tinnies'....

...note the image of the tower at the top left of the badge...that is the 'Old Waterworks', a prominent landmark within Bautzen....erected around 1558...

Brooks, love the enamel SA/SS ski badge, I have been chasing this one for some time, with no luck.

Ian, lovely nitroplast? tinnie, again not one I have or seen.

JNobel, any chance of a pic of the reverse of the Niedernhein 1937, I believe this to be a very faked tinnie, most seem very flimsy, and also appear on a cloth backing, but the real one seem to be just a bit more substantial than the copies. I have never posted mine because the badge has been shown before, I think, and mine has no pin. Not that a pic. of the reverse will help!!! This is one that must be held and compared.

Regards,

Pete

Here's a look at the reverse that wood asked for. It looks to be the made like most tinnies of that period in regards to the sharpness of the reverse detail although the pin does look like it may have been reattached.

Edited by JNoble

Hi Benten,

I'm not much of a tinnie expert...not by a long shot....but the things I like to find out are, for instance, if the tinnie has a 'makers mark'....does that particular manufacturer still exist today?....and if so...what are they producing now...

...or if the tinnie features a particular landmark....is it still standing?...what is its importance?....was it a NS period monument or something older...etc, etc...

...all of which brings the tinnie to life....almost like a postcard in a way...a 'snap-shot' from history long gone...