News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Civilian "tuxedo" bar and miniatures of Paul Klaproth

Dear forumites,

In order to bring to new life this very interesting forum, I'd like to take to opportunity to share one of my latest purchases...

Medal description of the Frackspange (Godet):

? Preussen, Verdienstkreuz f?r Kriegshilfe, 1916-1924 (OEK 1966)

? Preussen, Roter Adler Orden 4. Klasse (OEK 1704)

? Preussen, Olberg-Kreuz, ab 1910 (OEK 1854)

? Osmanisches Reich, Medaille Roter Halbmond

Miniature description (Godet):

? Schaumburg-Lippe, Hausorden Offiziersehrenkreuz (OEK 1206)

? Sachsen-Weimar, Hausoden vom Weissen Falken, Komturkreuz (OEK 2329)

? Oldenburg, Hausorden Herzog Peter Friedrich Ludwig, Offizierskreuz (OEK 1512)

? Osmanisches Reich, Medjidje-Orden, Komturkreuz

Any additional information on Herrn Klaproth is very welcome!!!

Ciao,

Claudio

post-199-1183136432_thumb.jpg

@ Scott: Thanks! ;)

Herr Klaproth, as a perfect bureaucrat and bank manager extremely careful in keeping his documentation "clean", had filed every single document in a subfolder with all the correspondance and paper work.

Documents and correspondance for the Turkish Red Cross medal...

Letter of the German Consul General von Koch (very likely working for the Ottoman Embassy as Honorary) informing Herr Klaproth informing about the shipment of the medal to him. From the date of bestowal (20th October 1916) until the shipment of the medal to Herr Klaproth took at least more than 8 months (27th June 1917)!!! wow...

Finally on July 5, 1917 Herr Klaproth received his medal!

Herr Klaproth had good manners... he wrote back to Herr Generalkonsul von Koch to thank him for the nice letter and medal he got from him! Talking about German Grundlichkeit... Herr Klaproth - fortunately for us collectors - made the effort to file all his documents so neately!

I almost forgot... There's also the "?bersendungsschreiben" of the Oberpr?sident der Provinz Hannover to Hr. Klaproth, dated 26th August 1907 (the document was issued on August 22, four days earlier only!).

Of course there is also the letter from Reichsbank-Direktorium which informed Hr. Klaproth about bestowal of the "Verdienstkreuz f. Kriegshilfe", dated 31st July 1917 (date of issue of the document was 19th July 1917).

Unfortunately I couldn't get maybe the most important document of the decorations on the Frackspange: the Olberg-Kreuz Verleihungsurkunde signed by Prince Eitel Friedrich Prinz von Preussen!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHH..... :banger::banger: It went for too much money for my taste... :angry::(:(

At least I made a copy of the online-catalogue's scan of the afore mentioned document! What a consolation...

I hope you enjoyed this travel through the time of a well decorated Hannoverian top Bank manager...

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Dear Claudio:

Congratulations on the acquisition of this excellent group! It is one of the nicest groupings that I have seen come on the market in awhile. Although a few other pieces may have "gotten away", you obtained the majority of the items.

It is a shame that the auction house did not offer it as one big lot. Auction houses are businesses though and of course they exist to make money. By splitting up the items, they maximize their profit. Also, at today's prices, very few of us could afford to purchase the entire offering at once!

Unfortunately, complete groupings like this will become less and less common (or non-existant) over time due to this phenomenon.

It is nice to see that someone who appreciates the history behind the items obtained most of them. :) It is a shame that the rest were scattered to the wind (as time marches forth, the history is faded away). :(

Best regards,

"SPM"

Dear Claudio:

Congratulations on the acquisition of this excellent group! It is one of the nicest groupings that I have seen come on the market in awhile.

:cheers: I can only agree with SPM. Absolutely marvelous :love:

I?m afraid that all ?lbergkreuze sold in the last years are copies. This is the first original I have seen on the market.

With best regards, Komtur.

side by side... do you see any differences??? Please note that that the difference of the enamel's colors is due to the fact that these are different quality of scans, not taken at the same time...

Congratulations on this bar!

Paul Klaproth was director of the Hannoversche Bank, which was taken over by the Deutsche Bank in 1920. Klaproth continued then as director of the Hannover branch of the Deutsche Bank.

The building of the Hannoversche Bank still exists and is still the seat of the Deutsche Bank Hannover:

Georgsplatz_Hannoversche_Bank.jpg

Edited by webr55

@ Komtur: In your opinion is this ?lberg-Kreuz am Einzelbandspange is real or fake?

Hallo Claudio,

I judged these crosses up to now by the article of Sauerwald in Orden-Militaria-Magazin 92/2000 (S.53 ff):

ORIGINAL

You see me helpless :( , but something must be wrong. I thought this bar can not be bad, because it belongs to this magnificent group. But then Sauerwald must be wrong ...

... I don?t know what I shall think ...

Sorry, Komtur.

Other by Sauerwald as modern copies described crosses:

Edited by Komtur

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: ?lberg in... 1919! :speechless1: THAT certainly screws up numbers awarded and now means there will be an unknown number who are NOT on the 1910 list!

There are TWO entries for Nofirstname Klaproth on the Schaumburg-Lippe Offizierkreuz roll-- one as "Direktor" with the date on the document and the other as "Bankdirektor" 5.11.18. That has GOT to be a duplicate entry-- all part of the correction issues which plague even original period references.

All he listed was his Red Eagle 4 in the Orders Almanac-- no birth data.

An extremely nice group with a very odd combination of awards!

• 2 months later...

Dear forumites,

In order to bring to new life this very interesting forum, I'd like to take to opportunity to share one of my latest purchases...

Medal description of the Frackspange (Godet):

? Preussen, Olberg-Kreuz, ab 1910 (OEK 1854)

Miniature description (Godet):

? Schaumburg-Lippe, Hausorden Offiziersehrenkreuz (OEK 1206)

? Sachsen-Weimar, Hausoden vom Weissen Falken, Komturkreuz (OEK 2329)

? Oldenburg, Hausorden Herzog Peter Friedrich Ludwig, Offizierskreuz (OEK 1512)

? Osmanisches Reich, Medjidje-Orden, Komturkreuz

Any additional information on Herrn Klaproth is very welcome!!!

Ciao,

Claudio

Hello all,

Another old thread that I bring back.

please excuse if my question is out of place but as I am a new imperial awards collector, I am wondering which was the service that Herr Klaproth lend as Kommerzienrat and Bankdirektor to be awarded with all this orders & medals?

Many thanks!

Edited by Humberto Corado

• 2 weeks later...