News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Where is the Johanniter Order worn?

Where is the Johanniter Order worn on the tunic? Is it the same side as the EK1 or the opposite? If it is the opposite side is it worn on or beneath the pocket? I would like to know if the 2 loops that I see underneath the right side pocket of a third reich tunic could have been for the Johanniter Order. Thanks.

As far as I know, the breast badge of the Johanniter was cloth, so it wouldn't have loops. The neck badge (for Rechtsritter?) was a neck badge, often mistaken for the PLM in B&W photos.

Loops on the right pocket of a 3rd Reich tunic could be the German Cross, the Spanish Cross, or several other badges.

I'm with Dave. The plain white Johanniter cross was/is always worn on the left side like most other order stars/crosses. All of the ones I've ever seen worn in photos were white cloth and were sewn to the tunic. Somewhere I saw a white enamel pin on cross, but I've never seen one being worn in a photo.

Hello Paul:

The Johanniter badges were always worn on the left side of the tunic under the pocket. For field wear the linen crosses were usually worn. There were pin-backed badges however which were also worn. These are most-commonly seen in silver.

A pin-backed award for the right-side could be for many 3rd Reich badges as already stated. Another possibility from the Imperial era would be an Iron half-moon (or TKM). I'm sure that there are a great many other foreign awards which could be worn in that position.

Best regards,

"SPM"

• 1 year later...