News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recommendations for Iron Cross Reference

The two best are "The Prussian and German Iron Cross" by Boiwen and "The Iron Time" by Privetera.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Any idea of booksellers that may handle these books - I tried Amazon and Barnes and Noble and "no luck" . Thanks Mike

Hello,

I would add this book:

Friedhelm Heyde: "Das Eiserne Kreuz 1813. 1870. 1914 (Preu?en-Sammlung Max Aurich)"; Osnabr?ck, Biblio-Verlag, 1980.

It's a good reference book although illustrated in b/w only.

Now it's out-of-print, but it happens to find it at collectors shows.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Personally, I wouldn't bother-Privetera's book is beautiful and well edited, but there isn't much hard information in it. His award numbers are best guesses and almost all the actual text is derived from other general sources. The BDOS journal ORDEN is a goldmine of technical information but it's difficult to find the right magazines.

I would wait for Gordon Williamson's book to come out. It will be THE best book on the subject there is.

Meanwhile, the Iron Cross section here and on the WAF should tell you everything you need to know-and more.

Hello

At present Bowens 'The Prussian and German Iron Cross' is, in my opinion the best source of information on Imperial EKs. I have a first edition and one of the last editions and they are really good, useful reference books.

If I can find it, I have Vern Bowens grandaughters e-mail address, who was selling off the remaining last edition volumes of his book for him. She said I could pass it on to other collectors, so I'll post it on here if I find it.

Question is, when is Gordons book on the Imperial crosses going to press?

Edit:

Here is Vern Bowens grandaughters e-mail address, or at least the one I contacted her through and which she said I could pass on to other collectors. It is charlottepugh@hotmail.co.uk She doesn't reply very quickly, so even if you haven't heard from her for a week don't worry.

Edited by DavidM

Personally, I wouldn't bother-Privetera's book is beautiful and well edited, but there isn't much hard information in it. His award numbers are best guesses and almost all the actual text is derived from other general sources. The BDOS journal ORDEN is a goldmine of technical information but it's difficult to find the right magazines.

I would wait for Gordon Williamson's book to come out. It will be THE best book on the subject there is.

Meanwhile, the Iron Cross section here and on the WAF should tell you everything you need to know-and more.

I have to disagree here. Yes this book is not big on the actual maker's marks and the technical side of the medals, but it has some good history, superb photography etc. Some good interviews with actual winners of the awards also. It's a good read. There are only a handful of books on the subject, so I would think that the ones available would complement each other and all have something to offer. None come cheap.