News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SCHLESWIG 1849/ BRAZILIAN Medal Bar

Hallo Henke :cheers:

Have you any better pictures??

Its got medals for:

1. The Prussian - Franco War of 1870-71 Non-Combatant Steel award (but) on Combatant ribbon!!

2. Prussian - Austrian War of 1866,

3. Unknown to me (picture to small).

4. 100 Centenery Medal for Kaiser 1. (1897) awarded to the military and Civil service.

and a Swedish medal (?).

The 3 medals: 1 2 & 4; are fairly common to find, the value of these together about 70 - 90 Euros

Add another 30 - 40 for the bar and ribbons. :unsure:

It would also be nice to see a picture of the rear as well.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

PS Dave thanks for pointing out my error :blush:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Henke :cheers:

Have you any better pictures??

Its got medals for:

1. Prussian - Austrian War of 1866,

2. The Prussian - Franco War of 1870-71

3. Unknown to me (picture to small).

4. 100 Centenery Medal for Kaiser 1. (1897) awarded to the military and Civil service.

and a Swedish medal (?).

The 3 medals: 1 2 & 4; are fairly common to find, the value of these together about 70 - 90 Euros

Add another 30 - 40 for the bar and ribbons. :unsure:

It would also be nice to see a picture of the rear as well.

You have 1 and 2 reversed. #1 is a non-combatant Franco-Prussian War medal. #2 is the K?niggr?tz Cross from the Austro-Prussian War.

#3 is the Commemorative Cross to the Schleswig-Holstein Army 1848-1849. That one is rather rare. #5 may be Danish, not Swedish.

OK, I see #2 is a Main-Armee-Kreuz, not K?niggr?tz, and #5 is from the Empire of Brazil, for the campaign which ended the Uruguayan Civil War in 1851-52. No idea how much value to put on that. Given how odd and rare the combination appears, the asking price seems OK.

Edited by Dave Danner

#3 is from Schleswig-Holstein for the 48/49 Danish War. It was initiated by the Provisional Government of Schleswig-Holstein in Kiel in 1850 and given to members of the Schleswig-Holstein Army who fought against Denmark. Made of iron from captured cannon. A crude little medal, but nice.

Edited by Tom Y

Hallo Dave, :beer:

Imagine if he was 18 in 1848, he would have been circa 66ish to receive the Centeneary, would that have been possible??

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Vets were eligible for the Centen?rmedaille

Hallo Dave, :beer:

Imagine if he was 18 in 1848, he would have been circa 66ish to receive the Centeneary, would that have been possible??

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Why assume 18? Many men started their careers alot younger back then.

No pics of the reverse, sorry.

Well here is the deal to be honest. I can buy this ribbon for 2000SEK, but Im really not sure its worth it. 2000SEK is about 210?, 142? or 285$.

But I did come across a little intresting note ;)

#'s 1, 2, and 4 are quite common while the Schleswig-Holstein is rather scarce and in my opinion undervalued. Dunno about the Uruguayan one. With the rare combination and attribution I'd say the sum is woth cosiderably more than the parts. The price may be a little on the steep side, but I'd go for it. If you decide not to send me the guy's address :rolleyes:

translation:

Hauptmann Eduard Ludwig Kelters

Field Campaign Memories

Remembrance cross of the Schlesswig-Holstein campaign 1848/49

Silver medal for the campaign in Uruguay and Brasil 1857/58

Remembrance cross of the Main-campaign 1866

War Remembrance medal of 1870/71

Emperor Wilhelm remembrance medal 1897

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Why assume 18? Many men started their careers alot younger back then.

Hallo dond, :beer:

its a general rule of thumb I use, most armies continental as well as in the UK, would have taken recruits at 17 years old,. . . . add approxamatly one year for training etc..etc.. and then he would probably be ready for combat, as I stated its just a rule of thumb and not 100% precise.

I use it as a gauge whenever I see bars with a fantastic array of medals from 2-3 + wars to see if it would have been possible.

Well I have more or lessed decided to buy it know. The age, the story and the rare combo made it for me. I guess its kinda hard to set a price on such a ribbon.

But I feel that if I ever decide to sell it I will get my money back.

When I get it in my hand I will be happy to share more pics of it to all new friends I made here on this splendid forum.

I must thank you all for you reviews and helpful words.

Is there anyway I can get more info on the soldier that got this awards?

Also togehter with this ribbon I might be able to purchase a 13 miniature ribbon, will keep you all updated on that one as well if there is any intrest. Its a swedish ribbon and I guess its just really 3 of the awards that are really nice.... but still ;)

Best Regards

Henke

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Fantastic bar. If there is any way to find out biographical information on this officer, you'll get the answers here!

Amazing bar! Unique and rare beyond rare. there is a story there! Buy it!

Oh... In my estimation, the bar without the Brazillian medal is worth 150 Euros. WITH that Brazillian medal-500 Euros. If it has a good story and I suspect it does-800 Euros.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing bar! Unique and rare beyond rare. there is a story there! Buy it!

Oh... In my estimation, the bar without the Brazillian medal is worth 150 Euros. WITH that Brazillian medal-500 Euros. If it has a good story and I suspect it does-800 Euros.

Where can I learn more about the person behind the bar? Are there any public archives or so where I can try and find out more info about him?

Best Regards

Henke

Guest Rick Research

"Help with value" as a thread title has probably not attracted officer researcher notice, so I will change the title of this thread and see what happens.

:catjava: