News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few more EKII's

Hi All,

After seeing Richards beautiful new crosses, I decided to share my latest purchases also. Not as minty as Richards, but I like them this way!

First off is a Wachtler & Lange '100' with a beautiful frame with lots of frosting still remaining, unfortunately, the core is showing traces of minor blistering. I was never in a huryy to get one of these crosses as I already have 2 unmarked versions and they are one of the more common makers. However, I was very happy that I got this one as the seller very kindly enclosed a "Visitenkarte" (wartime) from Mr. Horst Joachim Meye, (the original owner of the cross). This was a pleasant surprise as I was unaware of it until after I had paid for the cross.

The card (shown below) reads:

Horst Joachim Meye

Oberleutnant in Einer PZ.-Aufkl.-Abtlg.

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone translate what this is, (I realise that it is his rank, division, company ((or german equivalent)) but does anyone have any more information for me? I have never before had any crosses that had a name connected, so I am totally in the dark on this front. :speechless:

Next up is a '15' (Friedrich Orth, Wien).

This one is a lot 'saltier' and has such a heavy patina, the cross is almost completely black. It has all the traits of this maker including the oversized jump ring which is not soldered at the back. It has a very distinctive 3 in the 1813 date.

And finally (for now!) a '123' (Beck, Hassinger & Co., Stra?burg).

I have wanted one of these for quite a while, having purchased a cross previously under the assumption that it was a '123' but after debate with other collectors it transpired to be (in general opinion) a '125'. So here is its replacement!

This one has no question about it with a clear incused relief maker mark. Again, a rather 'salty' cross but showing lots of character. No paint loss or rust on the core but some spidering.

As usual, any help, comments or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Regards - Danny

Thanks guys for all the kind comments, they are very mach appreciated :beer:

I know that the general rule in collecting is 'quality over quantity',

but I just can't resist those worn and battered crosses!

... so if anyone has a maker marked cross that they don't like the look of...

contact me ASAP!!!