News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Did Chris pass on this recipient data to you?

Vizefeldwebel Franz STREIBICH, Reserve Infanterie Regiment 238, received his Silver Military Karl Friedrich Merit Medal on 18 June 1917 as the 360th SMKFVM recipient of the Great War. On that day, he and 5 other NCOs in RIR 238 received this award together.

Guest Rick Research

So I would say, a very close approximation for the WW2 German Cross in Gold: prolonged, repeated action and not being dead yet.

So I would say, a very close approximation for the WW2 German Cross in Gold: prolonged, repeated action and not being dead yet.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The reasons for a Karl Friedrich medal in WW I vary, but "bravery" describes it roughly ... well, what else should it be for a high ranking BRAVERY medal. By the way it is rather the 1939 Knight's cross pendant than one to the German Cross in Gold.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

By the way it is rather the 1939 Knight's cross pendant than one to the German Cross in Gold.

Indeed, as far as numbers awarded it is more in line with the number of Oakleaves as opposed to DKiG.

Having said that, Baden was smaller than WW2 Germany so from numbers awarded per company it may be on the same level as the DKiG.

I managed to find three nice lengths of ribbon for mine yesterday.

I managed to find three nice lengths of ribbon for mine yesterday.

Not too difficult as it's the same as used for the silver merit emdal with ~ 170,000 awards in WWI ... ;)

Indeed, as far as numbers awarded it is more in line with the number of Oakleaves as opposed to DKiG.

Having said that, Baden was smaller than WW2 Germany so from numbers awarded per company it may be on the same level as the DKiG.

Well, I wasn't talking about _numbers_ but about the status - it was a "highest bravery award" as Prussian Order Pour le Merite, Golden Military Merit Cross, Bavarian Military Merit Medal etc. were. ;)

Not too difficult as it's the same as used for the silver merit emdal with ~ 170,000 awards in WWI ... ;)

Indeed, but they were longer lengths, most of the others are short...

ANNNNNNND...

An ebay seller sells repro ribbon that glows... he said I should wait a while as he is getting non glowing ribbon made......

I thought I should get some nice original before that hits the market.

3 lengths for EUR15 all in all is good.

Streibich's was one of 23 awarded to Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 238, along with 2 MKFVOs to its officers. RIR 238 ranked 18th among units in the total number of Silver Karl Friedrich Military Merit Medals received.

GR 110 ranked first, with 56 Karl Friedrich Military Merit Medals. Ten regiments had 45 or more awards, 17 regiments had between 10 and 44 awards, and 17 regiments/battalions had between 4 and 9 awards. Other units had 3 or fewer.

• 7 months later...

As Chris's medal is for sale right now and the thread has been linked I'm just bumping it up for a special reason.

;)

Yeah, but this is normally a "repeat" award, so there'd be TWO of their generic war ribbons in a group with one of these

Finally I got an empty medal bar for the Baden set. Bad condition but real for sure, and with an odd additional device on the ribbon:

Edited by saschaw

How boring would be a lose medal bar... I don't have the medal(s), but it came with its little brother.

Any guesses what the last ribbon is most likely for? It cannot be anything Imperial or Prussian as it was not awarded until 1934, if you compare it to the medal bar. Plus it never had a device on it. The backing's black. SS, Police, RAD... ?

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Proably RAD. I have never seen many WW1 veteran groups with a Polizei 8, whereas lots of veterans took RAD jobs.

Thanks at lot to both of you.

My guess for the blue ribbon would be the 25 Year Civil Service Cross (with no device on the ribbon).

How likely or unlike was that? I had this issue with a ribbon bar set I acquired earlier, Rick said it were very unlikely someone wore the Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen without an device so it had to be something else. Please, see this thread for those bars.

Hello Sascha:

As you can see with the ribbon bar with the Italian Order of the Crown, the device was not worn. This award was so common, I believe that the device was probably an "overstatement" at the time. Although it was supposed to be worn, I can understand someone not wearing it. It is akin to Bavarian MVKIII recipients not wearing sword devices on their field ribbon bars.

Just my opinion, unfortunately, we will never know for certain regarding this particular example.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks at lot to both of you.

How likely or unlike was that? I had this issue with a ribbon bar set I acquired earlier, Rick said it were very unlikely someone wore the Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen without an device so it had to be something else. Please, see this thread for those bars.

• 1 month later...