News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

A Wehrmacht 12 years service medal after the 25.

That is an Otto Schickle-made RIBBON BAR EK Spange stuck on there.

Plus, Rick, don't you find this missing WWI commos {certainly Austrian, maybe Bulgar} but perhaps something more--believe Mark Patterson had this bar or something very similar a couple of years ago, perhaps at OMSA. Maybe there was a Romanian Star or Bulgar Civil Merit on it then as well then...

If Mark is out there.... Was there a story of the possibility of a 2nd bar to the same guy with the missing commemoratives and ...??? Did this bar have hook-and-eye rather than pin back?

Liverpool is not all bad

Guest Rick Research

Per regulations, yes. But many wearers felt a "desk" award ahead of valor ones wasn't right, despite Nation over State... and this being an AUSTRIAN, felt HIS nation was no mere state.

I would not entirely give up on this bar.

The dumb ribbon bar device could have been added by anybody, anytime.

I'm not sure whether the final ribbon is not actually a Bulgarian bravery ribbon-- silver thread edges on pale blue? with the Rumanian Order incorrectly stuck in. (So many BAD BAD Monkey Fingers "improving" things).

Even--in this specific case--the Lone Wehrmacht award, while contrary to regulations, makes me wonder...

there WAS a regulation that stated that when an Austrian Republic military long service award was worn "only the higher ONE of TWO Wehrmacht awards was to be worn-- as in a Wehrmacht 12 with a Bundesheer VI). Perhaps this officer misinterpreted the regulations to mean that his AUSTRIAN Bundesheer 25 was to have been replaced by the SINGLE 25.

What REALLY bothers me here is the peacetime, pre-war Signum Laudis:

No December 1908 Franz Joseph Jubilee Cross (granted in 1914 to even Cadets serving then, not yet commissioned) soooo....

joined no earlier than 1909 = Leutnant in 1911... PEACETIME Signum Laudis but NOT the normal, routine, wartime one or two?

Perhaps.

Perhaps.

With enough time and digging, maybe there is actually a match from an Austrian Bundesheer rank list.

This is a bar I wouldn't decide on from scans. It needs to be hand inspected.

And with the last award likely replaced an the first one with a hole jammed hrough the ribbon, dunno if all the required time and effort (and reference material) would be worth it or a total waste of time.

Hmm, I'm not sure with this bar, too. It MAY be good. Some nicer pictures, e.g. the back might help. I don't mind the small EK bar and I don't mind heavily the single long service. The Romanian order even may be a pre-war present to an young Leutnant, not yet awarded an order by his own Kaiser, the other Imperial awards seem okay for an young Austrian officer in WWI, that wasn't wounded. I'm 50/50 ...

:rolleyes:

Why would a Romanian Civil award have been given to a post WW1 enemy

Why should it have been given out post-war? More likely is pre-war, I've got a document to a Prussian Major for the same order (in another grade). Those were worn again when war was over ... ;o)

Hmm, I'm not sure with this bar, too. It MAY be good. Some nicer pictures, e.g. the back might help. I don't mind the small EK bar and I don't mind heavily the single long service. The Romanian order even may be a pre-war present to an young Leutnant, not yet awarded an order by his own Kaiser, the other Imperial awards seem okay for an young Austrian officer in WWI, that wasn't wounded. I'm 50/50 ...

:rolleyes:

I have looked at a LOT of 1940-45 pictures of medal bars in wear (1000+), mostly by people of this rank grade (O4+), I have NEVER seen only one LS award-ever.

I have seen some odd things, but never a single LS award.

I am 100% convinced its' made of parts-too many odd things about it... especially given the notable number of large Austrian bars of this mounting style which have appeared over the past 20 years. They ALL seem to have an unusual foreign medal at the end. I view it as a teaser.

Edited by Ulsterman