News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

Hello Dan

Congratulations, that is correct. :beer: Kirkenes was liberated by Soviet forces in the autumn of 1944. They where recieved by the remaining norwegian population, as liberators. Soviet troops crossed the norwegian/soviet border, chasing the fleeing german troops. The soviets stayed until the 26 of september 1945.

All the best

Snoopy

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! :beer: I've been away from this for too long. Too busy working but I'm pulling back a bit... changing one of my jobs and hoping to have more time for such enjoyable things from here on out.

I'd like to pass this one on to Lapa (Marc) if he'd like to run with it as I'll still be under the gun till at least this coming Friday. But very happy to be close to being back in the saddle again. :jumping:

Dan :cheers:

Thanks guys! :beer: I've been away from this for too long. Too busy working but I'm pulling back a bit... changing one of my jobs and hoping to have more time for such enjoyable things from here on out.

I'd like to pass this one on to Lapa (Marc) if he'd like to run with it as I'll still be under the gun till at least this coming Friday. But very happy to be close to being back in the saddle again. :jumping:

Dan,

Congratulations on this good answer, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to ask the next question (yeah, right... :unsure: )

Give me a few moments to think of something interesting.

Marc

Marc,

Any chance to get a question ? :Cat-Scratch:

Ch.

Here we go, Christophe.

If you don't mind, I propose to bend the rules a little bit for this one question, in order to try and attract new blood to the quizz: I propose that until Thursday 12/6 24:00 GMT, only those who have never participated to our quizz be allowed to answer it; from 13/6 at 00:01 GMT, it will be fair game for all.

So, that being said, this should be an extremely simple question.

In the 1980's, two journalists from different sides of the Iron Curtain came up with - let's call it - "an innovative concept".

1. What was the name of that "concept"

2. Who were those two journalists? (please try and provide a succinct biography)

Happy hunting :jumping:

Marc

...If you don't mind, I propose to bend the rules a little bit for this one question, in order to try and attract new blood to the quizz: I propose that until Thursday 12/6 24:00 GMT, only those who have never participated to our quizz be allowed to answer it; from 13/6 at 00:01 GMT, it will be fair game for all...

Well, it looks like my proposal completely fell flat! Never mind :rolleyes:

So, no one is inspired? This should be a rather easy question involving two celebrities.

Marc

Hi all,

Okay... I'm going to go way out on a limb here and take a crack at this one. :unsure: It fits the initials and seems to answer the question. So here's hoping.

The concept is called "Space Bridges"... the linking of faraway places via satellite technology. It was used as a show in the late 80's. The co-hosts were Vladimir Posner and Peter Jennings... hence VP and PJ.

Here is a link to the article I found on this:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...754C0A961948260

A short bio of Posner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Posner

And a short one of Jennings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jennings

Again, everything seems to fit... no idea if it's the correct answer or not.

I don't really remember these shows although I very much remember Vladimir being on Phil Donahue's show tons of times and what impressed me was the fact that Vladimir speaks perfect English with a New York accent unlike all the other Soviet representatives I'd ever heard.

Anyhow... fingers crossed! :beer:

Hi all,

Okay... I'm going to go way out on a limb here and take a crack at this one. :unsure: It fits the initials and seems to answer the question. So here's hoping.

The concept is called "Space Bridges"... the linking of faraway places via satellite technology. It was used as a show in the late 80's. The co-hosts were Vladimir Posner and Peter Jennings... hence VP and PJ.

Here is a link to the article I found on this:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...754C0A961948260

A short bio of Posner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Posner

And a short one of Jennings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jennings

Again, everything seems to fit... no idea if it's the correct answer or not.

I don't really remember these shows although I very much remember Vladimir being on Phil Donahue's show tons of times and what impressed me was the fact that Vladimir speaks perfect English with a New York accent unlike all the other Soviet representatives I'd ever heard.

Anyhow... fingers crossed! :beer:

Dan,

Well done :jumping:

Posner is something of a character, being born in Paris, living in the US until he was 18,then moving back to the USSR where he had not lived yet. That probably explains his NY accent :rolleyes:

It looks like I just kept the seat warm for you in this case. So, you're up for the next question. Shoot!

Marc

Time for a few stats...

Quiz 2008 :

* 31 questions asked,

* with 442 answers,

* and viewed more than 3,450 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 8 : Marc (Lapa)

* 5 : Christian (Zulus), Christophe & Frank (Knarf)

* 2 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Dan (Hauptman)

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Jim (JimZ) & Wild Card

Complete statistics give since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 202 questions asked,

* with 2,587 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 26,560 times.

* 40 Members of the Forum played, and 29 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 40 : Christian (Zulus)

* 37 : Christophe

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 8 : Auke (Ferdinand), Marc (Lapa) & Simon (Red Threat)

* 7 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) & Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 203rd question, Dan's one !!!! :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Mucho thanks! :beer: If it's okay give me a little bit on this one as I got talked into covering at the work I just left over a week ago so between the route tonight and getting what sleep I can and that today from about 4:30 p.m. cst on till late tonight I'll be over there at the gulag. After that I'll have some time to concentrate and come up with something (knock on wood). :unsure::P

Or I'll be happy to pass one along again if that works better. Let me know. :D

Hi all,

Okay... here's one... not sure if it'll be easy or hard or what. :unsure: But here goes.

After decades of work by their most famous design bureaus, the Soviets finally beat us flat out with their Sukhoi-34 fighter/bomber. It had a technological breakthru that would make it unique among this type of military aircraft and in the right circumstances could have perhaps helped to win the day.

What makes this aircraft so unique?

Have fun!!!! :jumping:

Hi all,

Okay... here's one... not sure if it'll be easy or hard or what. :unsure: But here goes.

After decades of work by their most famous design bureaus, the Soviets finally beat us flat out with their Sukhoi-34 fighter/bomber. It had a technological breakthru that would make it unique among this type of military aircraft and in the right circumstances could have perhaps helped to win the day.

What makes this aircraft so unique?

Have fun!!!! :jumping:

I'll have a go at this one.

It was the first fighter with a toilet in it and was designed to deliver high-precision strikes at heavily guarded targets in any weather conditions making it one of the Russians most potent fighter bombers??? :rolleyes:

Brendan

I'll have a go at this one.

It was the first fighter with a toilet in it and was designed to deliver high-precision strikes at heavily guarded targets in any weather conditions making it one of the Russians most potent fighter bombers??? :rolleyes:

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Well, looks like we have ourselves another winner! :jumping::jumping: I kind of figured this would be a quick one.

The toilet was what I was looking for on this one. I think many were praying they'd not drop their "loads" from this bird. Some bombs are worse than others! :cheeky:

The honor of the next question is yours. :beer:

Thanks Dan :cheers:

Ok so I'll have a go as well. Lets try this one:

The German-held Kuban bridgehead, situated along the Taman peninsula, was an area of extreme importance to both the German and Soviet sides. The Germans saw the region as essential to protecting the eastern approaches to the Crimea , whereas the Soviets viewed the bridgehead as a launch-point for another possible German offensive into the northern Caucasus . Unlike Stalingrad and Kursk the campaign is almost unknown due to the fact that there were no real breakthroughs on the ground, no encirclements, no capitulation of German armies.

The question is what was the name of the German defensive line that the Soviets smashed through? The time frame starts in April 1943?

Good Luck

Brendan